Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
03-10-2015, 12:37 PM   #3661
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yesterday, while in Oswego, NY looking at a Harlequin duck, one of the other birders had a Pentax spotting scope. But he had some EOS hanging around his neck...

03-10-2015, 01:29 PM   #3662
Forum Member

Last Friday, I was sitting at the local dance studio waiting for my little girl to finish up her ballet class, when I noticed that a gentleman and his wife who were there to visit their granddaughter were each carrying a K-5IIs (though they appeared to both have a cheap Sigma kit zoom attached). I had to control myself to not be creepy and ask to play with their cameras.

I typically watch, and I rarely even see Pentax gear at Disney. Sometimes, but not often.
03-10-2015, 05:35 PM   #3663
Pentaxian

I attended a photography class where I was the only one with Pentax. Felt so special
03-10-2015, 05:50 PM   #3664
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
I attended a photography class where I was the only one with Pentax. Felt so special
Did everyone else pat you on the head and speak in slow, measured tones? :-)

03-10-2015, 06:19 PM   #3665
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Did everyone else pat you on the head and speak in slow, measured tones? :-)
Nope, I attended the wrong class with novices. Some of them already got expensive gear, and were proud like kids. I was a bit surprised that they brought telephoto lenses in class to explore flash in classroom. I choose 50mm just in case. It was no case to practice however, and the instructor has been following the book chapter. The manual is much better. Well, it was free...
03-16-2015, 11:08 PM - 1 Like   #3666
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Nope, I attended the wrong class with novices. Some of them already got expensive gear, and were proud like kids. I was a bit surprised that they brought telephoto lenses in class to explore flash in classroom. I choose 50mm just in case. It was no case to practice however, and the instructor has been following the book chapter. The manual is much better. Well, it was free...
This sounds like the class that I had last year. I was also the only pentax shooter in my class. One nikonian had just about every gadget you can think about. His pictures.....errrm.

Interestingly the canon guys and the nikon guy seem to tease each other. It was fun to watch.

After the course I was talking with the instructor how to get some money for my photography.

He gave some ideas but then went on to say that me and one other guy had the best pictures to show at the end of the course.
03-30-2015, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #3667
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm shooting my first major fashion show this week, Western Canadian Fashion Week. Edmonton and Western Canada's biggest fashion event of the season. I was quite surprised to see the breakdown as such...

3 Pentax K3
1 Pentax K5
1 Olympus OMD Em1 (well not surprised, the user of this camera is a local fashion icon)
5 Nikons of various models
10+ Canons of various models
handful of mirrorless

Quite surprising about the Pentax turnout myself.

I was dual weilding my K3 and D800 personally, and found myself on day 2 (were on day four today, I missed 3) shooting primarily with my Pentax. Mostly for weight savings

03-31-2015, 07:49 AM   #3668

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
This sounds like the class that I had last year. I was also the only pentax shooter in my class. One nikonian had just about every gadget you can think about. His pictures.....errrm.

Interestingly the canon guys and the nikon guy seem to tease each other. It was fun to watch.

After the course I was talking with the instructor how to get some money for my photography.

He gave some ideas but then went on to say that me and one other guy had the best pictures to show at the end of the course.

Ah! I'm sure you waked out that day showing off like a peacock. Feels so good!

Norberto
03-31-2015, 08:12 AM   #3669
Pentaxian

A couple of weeks ago a family member mentioned that she'd like to move up from her point-and-shoot to a DSLR, and asked for advice. Of course my immediate reaction was to sell the benefits of Pentax: the huge range of modern and classic K Mount lenses, the great colour rendering, the high performance for a very reasonable price. . .

But then I stopped myself and thought about it for a moment, and then I told her to do this instead: to make a shortlist of cameras in her price range from all the different manufacturers, then to go on Flickr and look at lots of different photos taken by those exact cameras. I told her to buy the camera that produces photographs that most closely match the way she sees things in her mind's eye.

She ended up buying a Nikon and she's ecstatic with it, and I'm happy with that. It means that she got a camera that will help her get the look that she personally wants, even though it's not the look I want myself.

The only real influence I had over the whole thing was to warn her that if she bought a Canon I'd never speak to her again.
03-31-2015, 08:16 AM   #3670

I actually ran into the first "Pentax in the wild" over the weekend. Ironically, it was in the hands of an old friend whom I caught up with after we attended a business meeting and had the opportunity to visit a historic site thereafter.

The friend is a fellow that I knew shot Pentax film cameras, and in meeting up with him I recalled that the last time we were both in locality with our cameras, they were Pentax 35mms and we were discussing options for switching to digital. I made the determination some time after that and I'm now on to K-5 II. He did the same and has been shooting a K-5 for awhile.
03-31-2015, 12:25 PM   #3671
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
A couple of weeks ago a family member mentioned that she'd like to move up from her point-and-shoot to a DSLR, and asked for advice. Of course my immediate reaction was to sell the benefits of Pentax: the huge range of modern and classic K Mount lenses, the great colour rendering, the high performance for a very reasonable price. . .

But then I stopped myself and thought about it for a moment, and then I told her to do this instead: to make a shortlist of cameras in her price range from all the different manufacturers, then to go on Flickr and look at lots of different photos taken by those exact cameras. I told her to buy the camera that produces photographs that most closely match the way she sees things in her mind's eye.

She ended up buying a Nikon and she's ecstatic with it, and I'm happy with that. It means that she got a camera that will help her get the look that she personally wants, even though it's not the look I want myself.

The only real influence I had over the whole thing was to warn her that if she bought a Canon I'd never speak to her again.
I honestly wonder if one can see the difference between picture from different DSLR at random and actually see a difference and attribute it to the gear.

Maybe it is very possible, I know for lenses already it took me obviously some time to learn... But for camera I don't know... Counting that there are bigger variable like the level of photographer...
03-31-2015, 02:18 PM   #3672
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
I honestly wonder if one can see the difference between picture from different DSLR at random and actually see a difference and attribute it to the gear.

Maybe it is very possible, I know for lenses already it took me obviously some time to learn... But for camera I don't know... Counting that there are bigger variable like the level of photographer...

And all the different ways to PP.
03-31-2015, 02:23 PM   #3673

That's how idea works. You look some pool player shooting trick shots and then go and buy same make and model of pool table as the player used.

Now you can do same trick shots.
03-31-2015, 03:05 PM   #3674
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by anemone Quote
That's how idea works. You look some pool player shooting trick shots and then go and buy same make and model of pool table as the player used.

Now you can do same trick shots.
I'm going to buy the same golf clubs as Tiger Woods for two reasons.

I'll be able to drive like him and be as good in a fight as his wife!
03-31-2015, 05:54 PM   #3675
Veteran Member

When my parents want to use my camera and equipment for their next vacation...... They own a Nikon...... I said no

Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy

Last edited by Pepe Le Pew; 03-31-2015 at 06:34 PM.