Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2399 Likes Search this Thread
10-17-2010, 12:54 AM   #361

Photos: Albums
Part of the reason I choose Pentax is to be different.

And also because i appreciate value for money.

I also steer clear of Ipod, Sony Viao, iPhone, hummers, and anything else which people buy simply as a status symbol or because everyone else is mindlessly forking out $$$ for.

10-17-2010, 01:18 AM   #362
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, we are rare. The only time I see another Pentax user is when I was buying my K-x in one of the few stores that sell Pentaxes. The sad thing is, he also had his Canon with him and he said Canon was better! However, some older guys (40+) I know had a Pentax SLR once, and all of them said that it was a great camera.

@creampuff: Hi, I live in Indonesia, could you point me to a good (read: cheap) store that sells Pentax lenses (new or used) in Singapore for when I go there?
10-17-2010, 02:05 AM   #363
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes !
Had been thinking the same
Pete

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
The way I look at it, it's like a "Motorcycle Wave", when I see someone with a Pentax out in the "Wild" I practically run up to them and talk about our cameras. It's hysterical when I see a Pentax out there.

It's like a small exclusive club and I'm *very* happy to be different!

Pentax FTW for the last 30 years!

:
10-17-2010, 02:47 AM   #364
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wahid_satu Quote
Yes, we are rare. The only time I see another Pentax user is when I was buying my K-x in one of the few stores that sell Pentaxes. The sad thing is, he also had his Canon with him and he said Canon was better! However, some older guys (40+) I know had a Pentax SLR once, and all of them said that it was a great camera.

@creampuff: Hi, I live in Indonesia, could you point me to a good (read: cheap) store that sells Pentax lenses (new or used) in Singapore for when I go there?
Within Funan Center there is SLR Revolution, T K Photo and Alan Photo, At Sim Lim Square (be careful, it can be a tourist trap for the unwary) the only two reputable shops are Orient Photo and Alan Photo. As a tourist don't forget to claim part of your GST before you leave the country.

10-17-2010, 03:14 AM   #365
Veteran Member

This is some of the madcap things that we do on our Pentax outings.
Is it any wonder we just can't wait to meet every month and go shooting with our Pentax cameras... just so much fun when you're shooting with friends.

Photo courtesy of figo007 on Clubsnap.
10-17-2010, 03:39 AM   #366

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
As a tourist don't forget to claim part of your GST before you leave the country.
hmmm, can you tell us what percentage of the purchase price we can refund? my daughter might just be able to purchase a pentax when she visits Singapore.
Thank you.
10-17-2010, 03:48 AM   #367
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paugie Quote
hmmm, can you tell us what percentage of the purchase price we can refund? my daughter might just be able to purchase a pentax when she visits Singapore.
Thank you.
The prevailing Goods and Services Tax in Singapore is 7%. All shops must quote to you prices with GST inclusive. You'll be able to get a refund of about 5% after some administrative deduction. More details here...

IRAS: Tourist Refund Scheme

Tourist Refund Scheme

10-17-2010, 10:07 PM   #368
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
No this is in Singapore, not Malaysia. Two neighboring countries. Do a Google Earth search...
ok thanks, because i was in maylaysia this summer, and i remember little india...

But i suppose all over the world there are little india neighborhoods!

I was going to Bali either through Singapor or Malaysia!
10-18-2010, 01:11 AM   #369

I drive SAABs and shoots PENTAX. I like these boutique brand's character. And I don't want to be part of the me too big brand crowd.
10-18-2010, 05:36 AM   #370
Inactive Account

I went to visit a friend upstate 10 days ago and brought my new K-x and shot over 200 shots of his digs. He studied art in college and I got an ear full about how what I was doing is "not photography, it's digital imagery." He resents that we can take a hundred pictures in 5 minutes, toss 99 and keep the one that just happened to come out right when he spent years learning how to get results from a single roll of film. I was into film many years ago, so I know about film but I was pretty much silent about defending digital photography. After all, I was his guest. I started to think he felt the camera an intrusion into his privacy and put it away for the rest of my stay.

A few days ago I took my K-x into a beautiful produce market early in the morning when everything was pristine and had my newly acquired SMC Pentax-A f1.7 50mm, and wanted to take some test shots. An older guy came up to me, very curious about my Pentax. He said he has a lot of Pentax glass from his film days and was very curious about getting a DSLR body for it. We talked for around 5 minutes and he seemed very encouraged to check out the K-x and the other Pentax DSLR bodies out there.
10-18-2010, 06:38 AM   #371
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by secateurs Quote
Part of the reason I choose Pentax is to be different.

And also because i appreciate value for money.

I also steer clear of Ipod, Sony Viao, iPhone, hummers, and anything else which people buy simply as a status symbol or because everyone else is mindlessly forking out $$$ for.
I try to stay away from that sort of thinking. Sometimes there is no accounting for taste. I am not saying that objects as a sense of status does not exist butif something is useful and fits your style it should not matter if "everyone else" has one.
And not to create a disturbance in The Forum but I sometimes notice black people giving other complete strangers the nod or recognition. If a motorcyclist, black person, and Pentaxian sees another unfamiliar motorcyclist, black person, Pentaxian they acknowledge the brotherhood of unity and solidarity I guess.
My brother use to always honk at other VW bugs when he drove his.
Imagine a black, motorcycle riding Pentaxian.
10-18-2010, 08:51 AM   #372
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
I try to stay away from that sort of thinking. Sometimes there is no accounting for taste. I am not saying that objects as a sense of status does not exist butif something is useful and fits your style it should not matter if "everyone else" has one.
And not to create a disturbance in The Forum but I sometimes notice black people giving other complete strangers the nod or recognition. If a motorcyclist, black person, and Pentaxian sees another unfamiliar motorcyclist, black person, Pentaxian they acknowledge the brotherhood of unity and solidarity I guess.
My brother use to always honk at other VW bugs when he drove his.
Imagine a black, motorcycle riding Pentaxian.
Yeah, .1 x .1 x .1 = .001 = pretty "rare." Of course, I don't recommend using a DSLR while riding your motorcycle, YMMV. BTW, I especially admire African Americans (I'm in California) who think for themselves. Of course, it doesn't matter so much what color your skin is. Not a lot of folks do think for themselves.
10-18-2010, 02:48 PM   #373
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Katsura Quote
I drive SAABs and shoots PENTAX. I like these boutique brand's character.
But boutique = where it's at = overpriced (all too often). So I drives SUVs (Toyota Land Crusher, then Ford Exploder, then Nissan Muriatic) that can make it down my dirt road in the snow. And I shoots a Pentax dSLR and Sony+Minolta P&S's and varied Canon and Zeiss and Kodak film cams. Whatever works, cheap.

QuoteQuote:
And I don't want to be part of the me too big brand crowd.
That's easily done. Whatever is popular, avoid. Canon, McFood, Disney, pro sports, etc -- just turn away, just say no. But I'm such a rebel that I even rebel against rebelling. Before getting a K20D, I'd shot for decades, but never Pentax. My bias was towards Sony, Oly, Nikon, and I was agnostic towards Canon, Panasonic, Fuji. I didn't buy Pentax to rebel against the madding crowd, but because it had the best bang-per-buck ratio. Value trumps ideology.
10-18-2010, 03:05 PM   #374

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
But boutique = where it's at = overpriced (all too often). So I drives SUVs (Toyota Land Crusher, then Ford Exploder, then Nissan Muriatic) that can make it down my dirt road in the snow. And I shoots a Pentax dSLR and Sony+Minolta P&S's and varied Canon and Zeiss and Kodak film cams. Whatever works, cheap.

That's easily done. Whatever is popular, avoid. Canon, McFood, Disney, pro sports, etc -- just turn away, just say no. But I'm such a rebel that I even rebel against rebelling. Before getting a K20D, I'd shot for decades, but never Pentax. My bias was towards Sony, Oly, Nikon, and I was agnostic towards Canon, Panasonic, Fuji. I didn't buy Pentax to rebel against the madding crowd, but because it had the best bang-per-buck ratio. Value trumps ideology.
I don't agree boutique = overpriced. It CAN be, certain pretencious brands certainly ARE, but they trun me off more than teh bread and better brands do.

What i look for is a boutique brand that has it's own culture AND are good value for money. That's why I picked Pentax in the first place.

And you'd be surprised how good value Saabs are, we are very frugal car owners the Saab lot.

In the snow, with the right set of tyres my FWD Saabs can go (on paved surface) just as well as a 4WD, it's the big german RWD sedans that need to worry in the icy weather.

But if I have to go off road, yep I will probbaly end up with an old Mitsubishi Pajero or Land Rover.

Like you said - whatever works.
10-18-2010, 03:18 PM   #375

Well... there are only 2 press photographers shooting with Pentax in my country... One is my father, the other is me (and Iīm not getting any money for my photos yet). The other "serious" photographers just shoot with the 2 "dark side" cameras.

But anyway... there are not so much Pentax DSLR cameras here (we donīt even have a serious pentax representative or sales company in my country).