Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2015, 05:30 PM   #3856
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
We visited with family in Miami FL and of course we visited the Fairchild Tropical Gardens and Fruit and Spice Park in nearby Homestead. A wonderful experience for those who aren't acquainted sub-tropical flora. As far as I could tell I was the only Pentax shooter in either venue. Sorry for all the Canikon folks!

06-15-2015, 06:26 PM - 2 Likes   #3857
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
Today I ran into a guy who asked about my camera - is it a Canon or Nikon? Meh, so typical :P Once I told him it was a Pentax, he added, he knew Pentax from the film days and continued to ask: do they still come with screw mount?<br />
<br />
Ricoh, do something! :P
<br />
<br />
I had the K3 with the 500mm sigma at the river a couple of weeks ago. After a while a Canikon DSL user walked over to the spot I had the camera set up on a tripod and started talking to me, wandering lol, or really &quot;wondering&quot; over close enough to see the Pentax logo. So he says &quot;Oh, Pentax?&quot; &quot;Your using an old camera.&quot; At which I told him &quot;No it's digital, the camera is maybe almost 2 yrs old, I bought it new.&quot; Then he got that 'blank' look momentarily. After a bit more camera tech conversation he mentioned that he used to use his camera professionally but now enjoyed photographing whatever he wanted. We had a nice conversation but as he was leaving and walking back to his vehicle I overheard him say to himself..... &quot;I think I've just been outgunned!&quot;
06-16-2015, 05:24 AM - 1 Like   #3858
Loyal Site Supporter

At the Dixon Waterfowl Refuge Bioblitz this weekend we all had the chance to use our gear in the rain. Yay rain! At least the amphibian biologists got some work done Saturday evening. I didn't see any other Pentax, but did get some comments when I came in with a soaking wet camera.

I did get to talk macro with a guy with an entry-level Nikon. He was using a kit zoom and extension ring. Good shots for a newbie, the sales person at least sounded like he tried to explain P mode. I tried to help, but wasn't sure how he would control with a single ring - though I did tell him how to prioritize the control parameters for this work. I also spoke with another insect guy with a home-built flash ring diffuser on his big Nikon. Very cool.

Sunday was great, I'm still processing photos. I would have liked to see the IDNR guy elecroshocking fish but was out in the oak prairie looking for bees.
06-16-2015, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #3859
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Product Placement! I just watched the film "Horns" starring Daniel Radcliffe. In it Juno Temple is shown in a brief scene wielding a black Pentax film camera. I couldn't identify the model, but it looked like a Spotmatic or K type camera.

06-22-2015, 04:39 PM - 2 Likes   #3860
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Was at Luray Caverns , VA.
Saw a Pentax on a young kid.
Lot of people with cameras took a second look of the Pentax Strap and Camera I was carrying.
One guy was surprised to hear about the 645Z(Nikon FF shooter)
Kid here (14) with a Pentax K5, couldn't be any happier with it. I've done so much research before I bought my cameras, I kept looking at the Nikon D7000 series but went with the Pentax instead in the end. I just like to be a little bit different sometimes. People ask questions and it's a conversation starter.
06-22-2015, 05:06 PM   #3861
Site Supporter

At the Katoomba Winter Magic Festival over the weekend.

Another good showing for Pentax: 5 DSLR cameras plus my Q10.
06-23-2015, 04:21 AM - 2 Likes   #3862

QuoteOriginally posted by skunktail Quote
At the Katoomba Winter Magic Festival over the weekend.

Another good showing for Pentax: 5 DSLR cameras plus my Q10.
My son was telling me two of his bosses were discussing photography at work, and he mentioned that I was interested in the subject. His boss asked what sort of camera I had, and my son told him that my bag was full of Pentax gear.

Turns out both bosses are also Pentax users! We are out there....
06-24-2015, 03:42 AM   #3863
Forum Member

My insane brother-in-law broke the laws of reasonable gift-giving and bought me a Pentax K3ii for my birthday this year, so now - in spite of already owning a K1000, I feel like a proper Pentax owner.

I saw a couple of tourists in my home town t'other day, one of them was toting a Spotmatic (at least, I think it was)

06-24-2015, 11:06 AM   #3864
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogonastring Quote
My insane brother-in-law broke the laws of reasonable gift-giving and bought me a Pentax K3ii for my birthday this year, so now - in spite of already owning a K1000, I feel like a proper Pentax owner.

I saw a couple of tourists in my home town t'other day, one of them was toting a Spotmatic (at least, I think it was)
Wow you got an awesome BIL. I would love a K3 II but I really love my K5.
06-24-2015, 01:43 PM   #3865
Site Supporter

Walking in the Laguna while visiting Sebastopol CA, I run into someone with a nice red K30 around his neck. I stop and greet him as a fellow Pentax shooter and introduce myself. It turns out his first name was Gene as well. He seemed disappointed that I was not local, because he told me he was the only Pentax shooter in his camera club, and needed some company.
06-24-2015, 08:22 PM   #3866
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by matt_lin18 Quote
Kid here (14) with a Pentax K5, couldn't be any happier with it. I've done so much research before I bought my cameras, I kept looking at the Nikon D7000 series but went with the Pentax instead in the end. I just like to be a little bit different sometimes. People ask questions and it's a conversation starter.
Tend to agree.....
06-24-2015, 09:22 PM - 1 Like   #3867
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Walking in the Laguna while visiting Sebastopol CA, I run into someone with a nice red K30 around his neck. I stop and greet him as a fellow Pentax shooter and introduce myself. It turns out his first name was Gene as well. He seemed disappointed that I was not local, because he told me he was the only Pentax shooter in his camera club, and needed some company.

They do say that talent comes from the genes ...
06-24-2015, 09:23 PM   #3868
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm just gonna jump in here and add:

I spent four days in NYC at the end of last month and didn't see even one other Pentax, and I was lookin'!! Predominantly Canon and Nikon DSLRs, but a surprising number of mirrorless Fujis and Sonys.
06-24-2015, 09:59 PM   #3869
Site Supporter

Close to a week and a half in Paris the other month and saw no other Pentax. Canikon, as well as Sony, Fuji, and Olympus smaller cameras.

Then was in a tour bus coming back from Giverny, and my wife strikes up a conversation with the older couple behind her. Turns out the wife in that couple also is big into photography, as I am. The husband tries to start a conversation with me (as I'm showing my daughter how you can shoot through a moving bus window) but asks, "So, do you shoot Nikon or Canon?" It's that assumption, that if you're serious you must shoot Canikon, that I find offensive. So, I pretended to be outraged and replied (in a fake French accent) that we Pentax shooters oppose the monopoly of Canon/Nikon. Perhaps he realized he'd said the wrong thing....

In the photo workshop I am co-leading now with a local pro (and long-time Nikon shooter), no one in the workshop has Pentax. Almost all Canon and Nikon, with one Sony. And, for the life of me, I see no reason at all why any of the Canikon users in that group have the brand they do--versus Pentax (or Olympus or Sony or Fuji).

I did convince our local coffee shop owner to get a used Pentax K-50 and 18-135mm lens when he wanted to move up to a DSLR. He's quite happy with it. I had to outmaneuver the Nikon pro, who would have steered him to a Nikon....

Pentax must generate a name and a following and break the lock of the false Canikon assumption.
06-24-2015, 10:08 PM - 1 Like   #3870
npc
Veteran Member

Now that K3II has built in gps - someone should write an app that displays where are all the pentaxians in real time