Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2399 Likes Search this Thread
10-18-2010, 04:07 PM   #376
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Katsura Quote
I drive SAABs and shoots PENTAX. ...
Fingers crossed here that Pentax's future unfolds differently/better than Saab's... :ugh: ...I loved loved loved my late 70's era 99, with obligatory tranni problems and all.

10-18-2010, 05:32 PM   #377

I see Pentax shooters around a lot, actually. In fact, amongst the collegiate arty types it seems to have become the mount of choice since they are cheap and they can use older film lenses on them. I think the obscurity element and the fact that Pentax has less of a pronounced corporate image helps this too.
10-19-2010, 01:20 AM   #378

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Fingers crossed here that Pentax's future unfolds differently/better than Saab's... :ugh: ...I loved loved loved my late 70's era 99, with obligatory tranni problems and all.
I would say SAAB is doing fine right now and maybe even one up fron Pentax - they have an owner that understands the company philosophy. I really beleive in the Spyker team. I can't wait for the new 9-5 to arrive in Australia, I'd jump at the chance to give it a test drive.

Pentax is like SAAB of the GM era, well it reamins to be seen if Hoya is undedicated to Pentax as GM was SAAB.

P.S> I also loved the 99 Although the 900 is my favorite.
10-19-2010, 01:37 AM   #379
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by archaeomanda Quote
Huh. I didn't realize I was joining such an exclusive group! I just figured that since I'm an unemployed student who can only afford Tesco value film, so I might as well put the old K1000 away and go digital. I never knew it would be such a status symbol!
Aaah they're the best mate!

I've still got my K1000...best camera ever made I reckon! And I recently went digital too (Kx)...and the lenses all fit...and they're glass not plastic..and you know inside always you've got the better camera!

Exclusive group???

No...just smart!

Cheers Paddy.

10-19-2010, 03:00 AM   #380

Photos: Gallery
I would say its the person that makes the photo not the camera!!!
10-19-2010, 05:03 AM   #381

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
Originally posted by secateurs: "Part of the reason I choose Pentax is to be different. And also because i appreciate value for money. I also steer clear of Ipod, Sony Viao, iPhone, hummers, and anything else which people buy simply as a status symbol or because everyone else is mindlessly forking out $$$ for."

I try to stay away from that sort of thinking. Sometimes there is no accounting for taste. I am not saying that objects as a sense of status does not exist but if something is useful and fits your style it should not matter if "everyone else" has one. And not to create a disturbance in The Forum but I sometimes notice black people giving other complete strangers the nod or recognition. If a motorcyclist, black person, and Pentaxian sees another unfamiliar motorcyclist, black person, Pentaxian they acknowledge the brotherhood of unity and solidarity I guess. My brother use to always honk at other VW bugs when he drove his. Imagine a black, motorcycle riding Pentaxian.
Agreed. The key word in my original quote was "simply". If it fits best, use it. But i hate it when people just jump on the bandwagon because of a brand name when there are other manufacturers who produce superior or better-fitting products.
10-20-2010, 01:13 PM   #382
Veteran Member

Borrowing a bit from Volkswagon; new slogan:
Pentax - "Great" For The Price Of "Pretty Good"!

Pentax - "Hey, that's a nice camera."

Pentax - " Yes. We still make cameras."

Pentax -" No longer number one but we are not a big pile of number two either."

Pentax - "Looking for a great camera? Well, whatever. I'm just saying. We have some. You know. If you want to buy one of ours. You know where to find me."

10-20-2010, 01:57 PM   #383
Nic

I didn't think anything about pentax until I saw one on CL for a decent price and then I looked into them. I could have bought anothe 30d instead of going the pentax route with the k10d, but I tried it, and I love it! It blows the 30d away, the ease of use, and the all around performance is incredible. Its an older camera, but if this k10d makes me impressed I wonder what the k-5 would do.
10-20-2010, 02:09 PM   #384
Pentaxian

Was surrounded by Pentaxians this past weekend at the local photo expo (mmmm... 645D & K5!), and the next day I went for a photowalk with my K20D in the park and ran into a vacationing father and son with their K20Ds!

Not random enough, I said "nice cameras" and they looked at me incredulously and then the son translated what I'd said into Italian for the father. Not to be left out, I responded in my limited Italian and found that we had almost matching bags of lenses with us (50-135, DA35, 18-250). Small world indeed!
10-20-2010, 05:17 PM   #385
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nic Quote
I didn't think anything about pentax until I saw one on CL for a decent price and then I looked into them. I could have bought anothe 30d instead of going the pentax route with the k10d, but I tried it, and I love it! It blows the 30d away, the ease of use, and the all around performance is incredible. Its an older camera, but if this k10d makes me impressed I wonder what the k-5 would do.
it will certainly blow your mind away.
10-20-2010, 08:36 PM   #386
Nic

Maybe you can purchase one and send it to my house
10-20-2010, 09:08 PM   #387
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nic Quote
Maybe you can purchase one and send it to my house
sure, just give me $400 bucks and I'll gladly ship it for you.
10-21-2010, 07:42 AM   #388
Nic

for a k10d, or a k-5...if its the k-5-For SURE!
10-22-2010, 04:47 AM   #389
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
Pentax - "Looking for a great camera? Well, whatever. I'm just saying. We have some. You know. If you want to buy one of ours. You know where to find me."
that seems to be the current marketing strategy lol
10-27-2010, 09:28 AM   #390
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Katsura Quote
I drive SAABs and shoots PENTAX. I like these boutique brand's character. And I don't want to be part of the me too big brand crowd.