Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2399 Likes Search this Thread
07-19-2015, 09:17 PM   #3916
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
I don't understand what you are saying.

How exactly is Ricoh going to "do that"? I just offered a way, a way of marketing their products, for which they do not have to spend much, can excite their user base, and might well get some highly dramatic videos that are potential "viral videos".

If you are saying that Ricoh would never do that, because in the past you have observed that the companies that owned Pentax did not market well, you are basing the future on the past, which might not be realistic in this case. Ricoh is putting money into the Pentax brand, as we all know by now. Perhaps it is still deciding on a marketing approach and waiting until it has a fuller stable of products (APS-C, underwater, theta, full frame, Q, lenses, support, etc) before rolling out that approach.

I realize it is easy to be negative.
QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
So as Pentaxians we need to come up with a strategy to conceptualise a series of youtube type videos that showcase stunning images and mini videos, with nothing other than "Shot with Pentax" embedded, no credits or anything else, the idea being to get get people to look at the images and say wow I want to take images like that and need to buy a Pentax.
I am convinced we have the skills to do this , and we can create brand desire that will make Rioch sit up and look.
What to you think?

OK, go ahead.
You have my permission.

07-19-2015, 10:17 PM   #3917
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I finished doing a trail running event yesterday and I just had to go up and give a pat on the back to a guy I saw shooting with a K-x.

"There are not many of us", he understated. :-)
07-20-2015, 06:54 AM   #3918
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by suraswami Quote
Hi,

Just joined this forum and this is my first post.

Ha ha yes we Pentax users are different and daring to use something not common.

First camera was a point and shoot Pentax film camera (2002), excellent quality, still have it and works. Then entered into digital world with Olympus ultra zoom cameras (nice pictures but too noisy), then tried Kodak, Fuji, Panasonic FZ series, came back to Pentax dSLR K2000. Happy with it so far.

The camera is showing its age, want to get a new one, looking at K50 or K3. KS2 has the WiFi feature, which will be helpful in viewing the picture on the tablet and retake if necessary.
Got the K50 with 2 WR lens bundle from my local store. Camera takes amazing pictures, low light pictures are especially better.

Also bought the 40mm XS lens, amazing lens for portraits, very fast, sharp and convenient to carry.
07-20-2015, 01:28 PM   #3919

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
And how exactly are you to do that? If you are not better overall at marketing than others, there no reason you get more out of your investment in it than other, I'am affraid. And from pure observation, I'd say pentax is pretty bad at marketing to begin with, much worse than the average.
Hmmmm. The way you see this issue reminds me of a saying in my country, Mexico. It would be in English something like this: the way it goes, I would rather wait till the bull "horns" me. In Spanish we say "Mejor que me cuerne el toro". You wouldn't like to be "horned" by the bull. Ask any decent bull fighter. ;-)

07-22-2015, 12:36 AM   #3920
Pentaxian

Spent a long weekend in Istanbul. Seen thousands of cameras/phones, hundreds of DSLRs, (lowish) tens of film cameras (!) and .... (drumroll) ... one Pentax.
Last day there, in Archeological Museum Café, saw a table occupied by two ladies, a cat and a K3.

That was somewhat surprising as I usually see at least two to three first day at a given tourist site.
07-22-2015, 09:46 AM   #3921
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Last night I was at my Son's summer music event and out of 100s of Canikons I saw 2 other Pentaxians!! Yay!!

One was having K3 with the nice HD 55 to 300mm and other one was having old beat up K10D with Tamaron 28 to 300mm lens. The K3 guy was using Nikon before, he said its low performance was not that great especially indoor pictures, got tired of it and got the K3 and very happy with it. Main thing he mentioned is he doesn't need to use Flash so he can get the natural scene.

We both stood right next to each other and with same iso settings the K3 captured faster and WB seems much better than my K50, of course I was only using the regular 50 to 200mm ED WR lens. I should have got the K3
07-23-2015, 02:26 AM   #3922

QuoteOriginally posted by suraswami Quote

We both stood right next to each other and with same iso settings the K3 captured faster and WB seems much better than my K50, of course I was only using the regular 50 to 200mm ED WR lens. I should have got the K3
You need to change that lens before you change the camera. It's not the best!!

07-23-2015, 04:21 AM   #3923
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by plooksta Quote

+1 a tamron 70-200 f/2.8 would give you a lot more for low light than moving to K3...
07-23-2015, 05:01 AM   #3924

+1 a tamron 70-200 f/2.8 would give you a lot more for low light than moving to K3...
And it's a sharp. The 50-200 is mush open and long.
07-23-2015, 06:07 AM   #3925
Pentaxian

And it's a sharp. The 50-200 is mush open and long.

Tamron is also much heavier. I have it, love it, just sayin'.
07-23-2015, 08:27 PM   #3926
Veteran Member

I'd agree that a lens would probably make more difference overall than the camera but I'm not so sure that is what he was seeing.

The 55-300 is definitely a bit better, but I haven't noticed that it is superior in the areas of focus lock and WB, mentioned by the other poster. True, the 50-200 needs bright light to really shine (so does the 55-300 IMHO), but for something that compact in a travel kit, it does a nice job.

BTW, on the trip to Spain 5 years ago where I took that shot, I saw exactly one Pentax other than the Kx I was shooting at the time.

Last edited by GeneV; 07-23-2015 at 08:34 PM.
07-24-2015, 12:08 AM   #3927
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I'd agree that a lens would probably make more difference overall than the camera but I'm not so sure that is what he was seeing.

The 55-300 is definitely a bit better, but I haven't noticed that it is superior in the areas of focus lock and WB, mentioned by the other poster. True, the 50-200 needs bright light to really shine (so does the 55-300 IMHO), but for something that compact in a travel kit, it does a nice job.
The 50-200 is a quite interresting lense because it is very small, very light and has a WR version. Despite what the tests say, I continuously see great images taken with it with great colors.

Now one need to know what priorities he has. If the issue is low light performance, the 50-200 is not a good choice. One can replace it with the tamron for a very good price but sure it is quite big/heavy. If that not an option, then in the still big/heavy departement but significantly lighter/smaller, there the 50-135 a really great lense, still with f/2.8.

If one want to be very light, at this range of focal length, I think there no option but to go for primes. Depending of what focal length are the most important DA50, DA70, FA77, DFA100 macro, F135 or FA135 are all quite reasonably small/light and come with fast apperture too. Going with say DA70 + F135 would replace entirely the 50-200. Just crop a bit when the framing doesn't match.
07-24-2015, 03:32 AM   #3928
Veteran Member

When the FF arrives, i will do a lot more marketing between pros and the pro marked. But I'm also planing to make videos for both FF and APS-C later on..For all levels. With backup from Ricoh!
07-24-2015, 01:25 PM   #3929
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
When the FF arrives, i will do a lot more marketing between pros and the pro marked. But I'm also planing to make videos for both FF and APS-C later on..For all levels. With backup from Ricoh!
That's great to hear!
07-24-2015, 01:45 PM   #3930
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We visited with our son and his two kids in South Carolina this weekend and drove around Savannah, a jewel of a city. Forsyth Park is a great place for kids, lots of space and play equipment. We walked toward someone playing jazz trumpet, and very well. He asked, "How do you like the Pentax?" He'd had a K1000 (who hasn't!) but now shot Nikon since his son had given him a digital Nikon. Pleasant fellow! Other that him I don't recall any shooters with "real" cameras, just cell phones. Alas and alack!