Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2015, 08:21 PM - 2 Likes   #3931
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
So while all the canikon fanboys are out spending loads of $$$ on new lenses, I'll still be haunting yard sales and pawn shops to pick up 30 year old Pentax lenses for usually under $50 that still work on DSLR...can't beat it with a stick...

Oh yeah, I can't remember seeing anyone with a Pentax lately, one here and there in my film days, that's about it, so I guess we are that rare.
I hear ya!

Just posted my latest Classified ads ("Uncle Henry's" up heah in Maine) find; a guy was selling his A3000 kit... which included two auto zoom lenses along with a boodle of accessories.

For $75. I didn't feel used too badly, and the 35-70 takes some impressive shots - possibly even better than my new 18-55. Since these are auto there is very little they won't do that a $500 lens will, and I think the opticals are just as good if not better.

As we all know, "Normal" people shoot Nikkon and Cannon...

Now I might be accused of being lots of things, but "Normal", I can assure you, ain't one of them.

That's one reason I've been a loyal PENTAX fan ever since the old Spotmatic back in '68.

07-27-2015, 01:30 PM   #3932
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the lens suggestions, yeah I really like the K50, not going to step up to K3.

Will have to save to get better lens, will keep looking.
07-27-2015, 10:50 PM   #3933
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by suraswami Quote
Thanks for the lens suggestions, yeah I really like the K50, not going to step up to K3.

Will have to save to get better lens, will keep looking.
Yep. No reason to upgrade from K50 to K3 unless you need the speedier performance (af, tracking, burst, buffer size). That's the main difference. Of course there's other differences too like the top LCD, K3 has a microphone jack which is almost a necessity if you do video.
07-28-2015, 10:29 AM   #3934
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by matt_lin18 Quote
Yep. No reason to upgrade from K50 to K3 unless you need the speedier performance (af, tracking, burst, buffer size). That's the main difference. Of course there's other differences too like the top LCD, K3 has a microphone jack which is almost a necessity if you do video.
Video is not the reason I bought the camera, I have dedicated JVC hd camcorder for that. Also do not want to mix 2 functions into one device. At my Son's concert I want to record video as well as roam around and take good pictures. Camcorder is usually on a Tripod and wife takes care of it.

---------- Post added 07-28-15 at 10:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Uncle Jaque Quote
I hear ya!

Just posted my latest Classified ads ("Uncle Henry's" up heah in Maine) find; a guy was selling his A3000 kit... which included two auto zoom lenses along with a boodle of accessories.

For $75. I didn't feel used too badly, and the 35-70 takes some impressive shots - possibly even better than my new 18-55. Since these are auto there is very little they won't do that a $500 lens will, and I think the opticals are just as good if not better.

As we all know, "Normal" people shoot Nikkon and Cannon...

Now I might be accused of being lots of things, but "Normal", I can assure you, ain't one of them.

That's one reason I've been a loyal PENTAX fan ever since the old Spotmatic back in '68.
Question on how to use the manual lens - so when I zoom in will I be still able to keep the Aperture at lowest number (like 2.8)? Or the aperture automatically goes to higher number?

07-28-2015, 12:08 PM   #3935
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by suraswami Quote
Video is not the reason I bought the camera, I have dedicated JVC hd camcorder for that. Also do not want to mix 2 functions into one device. At my Son's concert I want to record video as well as roam around and take good pictures. Camcorder is usually on a Tripod and wife takes care of it.

---------- Post added 07-28-15 at 10:31 AM ----------

Question on how to use the manual lens - so when I zoom in will I be still able to keep the Aperture at lowest number (like 2.8)? Or the aperture automatically goes to higher number?
If, like my Pentax DA 1:4-5.6 50 to 200 mm zoom, the lens lists a range of perhaps 1 or 2 stops, the lens will decrease in effective aperture as it is zoomed. A so-called constant aperture zoom is far more expensive, and generally far larger. I have a Tokina f2.8 80-200 zoom which is easily 2 1/2 times as long as the Pentax zoom I mentioned above, and takes, IIRC 77 mm filters, as compared to 49mm for the Pentax. Weighs a LOT more, too!
07-29-2015, 12:58 PM   #3936
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Pentax sighting today! At the local aquarium, there was a girl with what appeared to be either a K10D or K20D with a grip on it and a huge DA* lens, probably either the 50-135mm or 60-250. Couldn't tell from a quick glance, but she looked pretty serious with that big rig! I was sporting my K30 with a 77mm ltd, a much smaller combo.
08-03-2015, 07:25 AM   #3937
Forum Member

I've just come back from a week in Scotland with the family - for my wife and my fifth anniversary, we visited a tiny little Historic Scotland property called Inchmaholme Priory. Only reason I mention that is because it's not a hugely well-trod tourist attraction, being reasonably remote and only accessible by boat (12 passengers at a time)

Nonetheless, I was taking photographs of a particularly fine old oak tree and noticed that the couple that had just walked along the path towards us had a familiar looking camera. What are the chances that two Pentax K3 owners (well, one K3 and one K3ii) would meet on a tiny island in the middle of a lake in reasonably remote Scotland!

(For what it's worth, he was a lovely guy. Hello, fellow Pentaxian, if you ever read this!)

08-04-2015, 02:35 AM   #3938

After a few days at the north sea coast, no other Pentaxes so far.

What was interesting though, that the major brand was Sony and the most common format was mft and bridge cameras. I thought bridge cameras were extinct.

People were more curious about the Pentax MX having no screen, the huge, bright viewfinder and being so small for full format than for being a Pentax. The most fun part to watch were their faces when swapping the lenses between the MX and the K50 without any adapters
08-04-2015, 04:34 AM - 1 Like   #3939
Pentaxian

My 16 year old son took a trip to Yellow Stone Park last week with his grandparents. I let him take my Kx. As I was reviewing his pictures, I found a group photo of the three of them. I made an off the cuff remark about letting someone else use my camera. He said the guy had a Pentax K-r like mine and he thought it would be OK.

He also said that there were a bunch of "Pros" with big honking lenses. These pros suggested that he shoot in burst mode so he wouldn't miss the shot (We all know how fast grazing Bison move). We now get to weed out approximately 4 out 5 shots for redundancy.

Tim
08-04-2015, 06:48 AM   #3940
Pentaxian

After a week of vacation at Ronce-les-Bains, France, the score was Canon DSLR = 5 (plus nicest lens category being a Sigma 35 Art), Nikon DSLR = about 4 (all 3000 and 5000 series with kits lenses, but one with a 18-105), Sony DLSR = 1 with kit lens, Fujifilm bridge(s) = 2, various tablets = 4 ... and cell phones = far too many to keep count (nor to care about, including my wife's ).

So I was all alone with my K-3 and with my film SLR, a MX with M40/2.8.

No full frames in sight, except for my MX ...
08-04-2015, 03:23 PM   #3941
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Don Promillo Quote
People were more curious about the Pentax MX having no screen, the huge, bright viewfinder and being so small for full format than for being a Pentax. The most fun part to watch were their faces when swapping the lenses between the MX and the K50 without any adapters
classic
08-07-2015, 12:18 AM   #3942
Veteran Member

How many I didn't have my camera with me stories have had on this thread? Here is one more.
Last night we had the annual Art Night festival in my city. The biggest event here.
Every year I take my camera with me. Every year.
This year I decided that I will not so I can enjoy the festival, as I also have to pay attention to my kids so they don't get lost in the crowd.

I was watching an orchestra playing when a guy with a camera two meter away crouched down to take picture. I gave a quick look and saw a white lens. So I thought canon. Sad face.

Then I gave a second look and it looked like it was silver rather than white. I then tried to look at he strap but the colors were faded somehow. At this moment my curiosity had gotten the best of me so I just approached him.

.....and behold it was a Pentax k20D with a SMC 28-100m lens mounted on it. I almost hugged him. Aaaaahhhhhh!

A Pentaxian in my own city. He has had the k20D since its release. I spoke with him and he been planning to get a K-5 even though we talked a little about the K-3.

The only time I met a pentax user and did not have my own camera. Crap!
08-07-2015, 12:39 AM   #3943
Veteran Member

I've just noticed that Film Riot use (at least one) Pentax.
7:10 onwards
On the thumbnail as well lol
08-07-2015, 01:21 PM   #3944

Had a sighting at the Hermitage Country "Walks" near Dunkeld in Perthshire, Scotland. First I have had for some years.
08-12-2015, 07:45 AM   #3945
Closed Account

Here in Sweden I have actually spotted Pentax DSLRs in the wild on several occations so they can't be that uncommon here.