Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2399 Likes Search this Thread
08-15-2015, 07:30 PM   #3961
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
But is he a *good person*, Trey?

If not, send him to Canikon - we are a select group, like the golf club in 'Caddyshack'.

Who am I kidding? If he has a credit card, he's in!
Is cash not good enough?

08-15-2015, 09:58 PM   #3962
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Is cash not good enough?
Very quaint, Tim, so Pentax! ☺
08-17-2015, 09:38 AM   #3963
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
The latest Consumer Reports magazine had a small listing of DSLR camera ratings... Pentax K-30 and K-5 were at the bottom. A Canon T3 (the plain old T3 not T3i) was even above the Pentax cameras in the lineup.

Not sure how they tested those, but it does seem to show the common view of Pentax SLR cameras.
I own both the Canon and the K-r and its like chalk and cheese. I know which one I prefer (let's just say the Canon is going on eBay shortly!).
08-20-2015, 08:27 AM   #3964
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Had a week long vacation, went to Seattle, Vancouver and Whistler. It was a jungle of Canikons, few Sony and Panasonic and 2 or 3 Olympus and Fuji all the small format dSLR. Not a single Pentax, finally on the way back from Whistler one lady was enjoying her K-5. Both wife and I were thrilled to see the unique/rare person lol.

And oh we saw a Pentax advertising hoarding at a bus stop facing away from the street, what kind of marketing is that?

08-20-2015, 08:11 PM - 1 Like   #3965
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Was out on the Dungeness Spit last weekend with a bird watching group, lots of spotting scopes,
I was one of the few with a camera, My K3 & K5 with Bigma and 55-300, still not long enough!

On the way back up the bluff I saw a tourist family, the father was carrying a Pentax DSLR with a short lens, never could see it well enough to ID the body, but it was black, not one of those colored ones.

Saw a young boy, 10 or so, with a white "storm trooper" of one variety or another on my ferry ride in the last week or so.

They both had Pentax straps to help the ID

We are getting lots of tourists through this area this summer. Agree with suraswami, jungle of Canikons mostly
08-21-2015, 12:53 AM   #3966
Forum Member

Was on holiday on the Isle of Wight (UK) recently and I saw no Pentax the whole time I was there. Interestingly, however, the Island Photo Centre with 2 shops had a big display of the Pentax - equal to Canikon. When I asked about it (couldn't believe my eyes!) the guy said that the company was getting more helpful with the advertising. This was also proved by the fact that they were offering one day courses sponsored by Pentax!

Just yesterday saw an ad in Amateur Photographer for a Pentax Showcase Weekend this weekend (well 4 days). Unfortunately it's at Camera Centre UK in Cardiff/Newport - 3 hours away, damn!

Are things on the up in the UK?
08-23-2015, 07:37 PM   #3967
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am starting a photography course (recreational) at the local uni on Wednesday night - sort of hoping I won't be the only Pentax there, but from prior experience, my hopes will be in vain and the instructor will have no idea at all about the whats and hows of Pentax DSLR features. Hopefully I now know the K3 well enough to survive without the instructor's help re menus and settings.

08-23-2015, 09:54 PM - 3 Likes   #3968
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Y'all are lookin' at it bass-ackwards.

How many ads do ya see for a Ferrari or a Lambrogini? Your own chartered Citation business jet? How many do you see in in the 'wild'? Would you even know where to purchase such a rare thing?

Start thinkin' Pentax is a fine and RARE object with an honorable history -- and above the grasp of normal folks.

Stop making excuses for them. Or envying' 'em -- oh, surely NOT. Rather pity those without the Pentax logo on their gear.

A secret James Bond-007 smile and you're on your way. Some secrets are not to be disclosed, eh?

Last edited by pacerr; 08-23-2015 at 10:03 PM.
08-24-2015, 12:44 AM   #3969
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Y'all are lookin' at it bass-ackwards.

How many ads do ya see for a Ferrari or a Lambrogini? Your own chartered Citation business jet? How many do you see in in the 'wild'? Would you even know where to purchase such a rare thing?

Start thinkin' Pentax is a fine and RARE object with an honorable history -- and above the grasp of normal folks.

Stop making excuses for them. Or envying' 'em -- oh, surely NOT. Rather pity those without the Pentax logo on their gear.

A secret James Bond-007 smile and you're on your way. Some secrets are not to be disclosed, eh?
I like your thinking. Pentax owners are a select group of the photographic cognoscenti. We need not justify our membership, rather we pity those who haven't grasped the True Way.
08-24-2015, 02:21 AM   #3970
Pentaxian

I spent a week in Normandy, France, visiting the beaches and the museums. On Monday, I saw a K-20 and a K-5 in Bayeux (day one), and a German woman shooting film with a Minolta X700 and a 28mm.

Nothing the next day at Mont Saint Michel. There tons and tons of Canon DLSRs by far, then Nikon and a lot of mirror-less ... I spied a guy in the chapel with a Bronica MF (I think, but definitely medium format).

Nothing on Wednesday, and on Thursday I saw a K-r on the beaches ... after that nothing else in Pentax.

Plus it's amazing all the cell phones and tablets about ...
08-24-2015, 06:43 AM   #3971

Never see them either, but bought my daughter one for her first photo class, 8th grade, among mostly Canons and a smattering of Nikons. The K20D is such a solid camera, it puts the Canikons to shame. It prompted me back to the fold from adventures in Fuji-land and now I have a K5II and 16-50 arriving today and received my 60-250 Saturday
08-24-2015, 06:55 AM   #3972
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffryscott Quote
Never see them either, but bought my daughter one for her first photo class, 8th grade, among mostly Canons and a smattering of Nikons. The K20D is such a solid camera, it puts the Canikons to shame. It prompted me back to the fold from adventures in Fuji-land and now I have a K5II and 16-50 arriving today and received my 60-250 Saturday
That's a nice combo. It is a little on the heavy side, but very versatile.
08-24-2015, 08:27 AM   #3973

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That's a nice combo. It is a little on the heavy side, but very versatile.
It is a sweet combo, thanks! I previously had K5II, 16-50 and 50-135, which was great, just lacking a little at the long end, which is why I opted for the 60-250 this time around. I really had wanted a K3 or K3II for the better AF, my only other complaint about my previous kit, but the money wasn't there. The K5II will be a great backup though when I can afford the K3 series camera.

I had been looking at Fuji's 50-140, but at 1500 new, 1200 used, I thought the Pentax 50-135 was a much better buy at less than 600 used. And I would have the same complaints with the Fuji's lack of reach as I did with the Pentax .... Fuji's lenses are sublime, but the Pentax lenses are no slouch, and more affordable (mostly, thinking specifically 31 1.8).

Hoping, as money allows, to add Limited lenses: 15, 31 and 70 or 77 and potentially the FF camera, it is at least an option.
08-25-2015, 12:09 PM   #3974
Pentaxian

Stopped of in Hong Kong Airport on way to Cebu, Philippines -- visited a shop selling cameras -- NO PENTAX -- asked " Why are there NO PENTAX" and reply was " Pentax is no longer in favour" -- the FUJI X series seems big with Filipino Camera fans now -- went out on a 'shoot' with two friends from Cebu Images Camera Club and they BOTH had top-of-the Range X series and I have never seen anyone with one here in England yet !
08-25-2015, 12:43 PM   #3975
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Saw a forum member at the Camarillo airshow with a 200 or 300, and his Nikon friend with 2 bodies/2 lenses. I had a 70D with Tamron 150-600...