12-21-2015, 07:31 PM   #4111

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
the ways of the Pentax
Is his son a young padawan?

12-21-2015, 08:15 PM - 3 Likes   #4112
dlh
Inactive Account

I hadn't touched a Pentax since the time they were being imported by Honeywell - early 1970's. First SLR I messed with. Had a Canon AE-1 that I used for about thirty years, and still works fine, and a Sony digital-only made to look like an SLR - at the time it was made, it was the biggest and best. Sony still has some of the best digital technology, and that camera came with a pretty good Carl Zeiss lens. But that Sony died and I wanted something that was more like a "real" camera. In my opinion, Sony has some of the worst customer support of any company on the planet, so I wasn't even considering them. Canon's digital technology isn't really up to snuff and it's very pricey, not a "best value". I seized on the Pentax after some research, and decided, despite the possibly iffy nature of their warranty service, that it was the best value. Since Ricoh bought the brand, It appears to me to have stabilized and Ricoh's fortune has always been in lens technology. Pentax also has a culture and tradition of being user-friendly, like the camera is designed to work for people, as opposed to people having to work it. When I'm taking pictures, I really don't want to be thinking about the camera. That's like trying to ice-skate by staring at your feet. I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks about my acquisition, I'm pretty excited about it and spending a lot of time playing with it. And in support of my perspective, I'll offer this historical anecdote:
Back when the Massachussetts Bay Colony was established, the people soon discovered they had a problem with witchcraft practitioners among them. They developed all sorts of tests to determine who the evildoers were, but finally hit on the theory that followers of Satan were supernaturally protected from harm as part of the deal in exchange for one's soul. So, in their communal dinners, they watched for people who never, ever choked. People would intentionally stick turkey bones down their throat to make sure everyone knew they were not witches, because they could and did choke like anyone else. But try as they might, the witches were unable to make themselves choke on the bones, and were therefore readily identified. But the Christian people of the Colony were fair-minded and wanted to be sure they weren't going after the wrong folks, and devised a second test: they'd tie the suspect into a chair at the end of a long pole, mounted on a fulcrum like a see-saw, and swung the chair out over the lake and dip the suspect in. If they drowned, that proved that they were not guilty, but would be raised with Christ in the Kingdom of Heaven (due to the untimely death). But if they could not be drowned, that proved they were guilty, and needed to be burned at the stake right away. And that's how we developed the important precept which we still use today:

"DUCK'EM IF THEY CAN'T FAKE A CHOKE!"

And that's what I say to anyone who doesn't like my using my Pentax: duck'em. (How y'all like THEM apples?)
12-21-2015, 08:58 PM   #4113
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
"DUCK'EM IF THEY CAN'T FAKE A CHOKE!"
12-22-2015, 01:53 AM   #4114
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
But if they could not be drowned, that proved they were guilty, and needed to be burned at the stake right away.
So, the Devil protected them from choking and drowning, but not from flames? Couldn't they see the bad logic here? I think if a person uses Pentax, it's a sure sign that they're not in league with dark forces, unlike disciples of mirrorless abominations...

12-23-2015, 03:22 AM   #4115
Pentaxian

Mirrorless users are photographers who have gone to the dark side. We must remain in the light to be united with the force.
12-23-2015, 03:25 AM   #4116
Pentaxian

They are vampires! They hate mirrors!
12-23-2015, 03:34 AM   #4117
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
So, the Devil protected them from choking and drowning, but not from flames? ...
Come on; let's show them a little Christmas cheer - alcohol makes good firelighters!
12-23-2015, 05:44 AM   #4118

So, the Devil protected them from choking and drowning, but not from flames? Couldn't they see the bad logic here? I think if a person uses Pentax, it's a sure sign that they're not in league with dark forces, unlike disciples of mirrorless abominations...
Mirrorless is they way things are going. I am sure I am not the only Pentax user who is just waiting for a decent EVF (Leica) and battery power to match in an S2 body or equivalent (with an improved grip plus the option for battery grip and just a little bit lighter).

12-23-2015, 07:03 AM   #4119
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LoneWolf Quote
Mirrorless is they way things are going. I am sure I am not the only Pentax user who is just waiting for a decent EVF (Leica) and battery power to match in an S2 body or equivalent (with an improved grip plus the option for battery grip and just a little bit lighter).
Maybe you're right; and maybe there will always be a market for optical finders, as they do have a few advantages that EVFs will never have. One thing I know: a mirrorless camera will never, ever, ever be my main instrument. But at my age, I can safely say that my present cameras will outlast me!
12-23-2015, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #4120
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe you're right; and maybe there will always be a market for optical finders, as they do have a few advantages that EVFs will never have. One thing I know: a mirrorless camera will never, ever, ever be my main instrument. But at my age, I can safely say that my present cameras will outlast me!

I remember looking through the viewfinders of Kodak Instamatics and Polaroids rangefinders. And I remember the first times with my first Yashica Mat 124G TLR and then the Yashica TL Electro. When I got into filmmaking, the viewfinder of my first Super8 camera. And then my first time with the huge Pentax 645 finder and the ultra bright 100% Nikon F3HP. All of these experience put a smile on my face, and a commitment in my heart to see and capture the world.

I also remember picking up and looking thru my first EVF at B&H. It was like being offered something you think is going to be delicious, but when you take a bite, you realize it's not to your taste at all. Apologies to all the Sony, Olympus, and Panasonic fans, as you obviously have a different opinion about the EVF. But the parallel of the name Pentax and the development and commitment of the pentaprism is one of the reasons I've stayed with the Pentax. I also highly value Pentax for not cutting corners with pentamirrors like Canikon.
12-25-2015, 12:30 AM   #4121

Perhaps we could create collages of photos and play "Where's the Pentax?" a la "Where's That Cat with the Candy Cane Hat" (gotta watch that copyright infringement).
12-25-2015, 09:20 AM - 1 Like   #4122
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you want to see a bunch of Pentax gear, 645Z + a set of lenses, K3II, and some lenses and a couple of other bodies in a real shop, go to Harrods, Knightsbridge. Prices seem rather high though. They also have most of the brands of camera, many Leica, Hasselblad +++.
12-25-2015, 12:43 PM   #4123
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Costco.com has been carrying K-50 and K-S2 two lens kits, although they seem to sell out quickly. I've had a couple of my students buy online from Costco and were happy with their kits.
12-28-2015, 04:38 PM   #4124

I've just spent the past nine days in Vegas and Grand Canyon. I think this has been my first vacation without seeing a single Pentax . It's a sea of Canikons with kit lenses and countless selfie sticks. Mirrorless (mostly Sony) are the next popular majority specially among Asians.
12-28-2015, 05:30 PM - 1 Like   #4125
Veteran Member

I see lots of Pentax users! All my family!!
We now have a K-3, K-5, two K100d's and a K110d! Five family members, five cameras!!