Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
01-18-2016, 10:56 AM - 1 Like   #4171
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just an observation. We are very rare until there is a contest, then we are everywhere!!

01-18-2016, 05:12 PM   #4172
Veteran Member

Saw 4 camera's at a funeral home, I will not take pics unless ask'd by the family, none of them were Pentax
01-19-2016, 04:25 AM   #4173
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You have to like Pentax to be with Pentax. People who go for Pentax understand the beauty of the system. I'm not generalizing but others go for brand popularity and majority I know for product support. Support would include repairs, third party accessories and lenses. Unless others see Pentax cameras as how we see it with one reason or another, we will always be rare.
01-19-2016, 09:39 AM   #4174
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
You have to like Pentax to be with Pentax. .... but others go for brand popularity ...Unless others see Pentax cameras as how we see it with one reason or another, we will always be rare.
Very True, I tried to convince a friend to try out Pentax, even after seeing whole wedding album on how sharp Pentax was, they still went with Nikon for brand name and still they couldn't take sharp pictures like my K50 or my old K2000

May be I am better at taking pictures lol.

01-19-2016, 10:30 AM - 1 Like   #4175
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by suraswami Quote
May be I am better at taking pictures lol.
Ding ding ding, we have a winner!
01-20-2016, 08:45 AM   #4176

Dropping my kids off at school, saw this today! Anybody on the board?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 4  Photo 
01-20-2016, 07:09 PM   #4177
Pentaxian

How I wish that sport shirts with collars will be available in black with PENTAX embroidered on the left part of the chest. Dry fit materials would be great and PENTAX printed as stated would also be nice.

01-21-2016, 07:31 AM   #4178
Pentaxian

capturing the fog on the river in New Orleans at 7 in the morning I met my first Pentaxian. A very friendly lady who also is on this forum. (hi if you read this) only saw 2 other cameras.
It might be that you can't own a Pentax and not be on this forum.
01-21-2016, 10:31 AM   #4179
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
capturing the fog on the river in New Orleans at 7 in the morning I met my first Pentaxian. A very friendly lady who also is on this forum. (hi if you read this) only saw 2 other cameras.
It might be that you can't own a Pentax and not be on this forum.
Hate to say it, by my brother and son both own Pentax DSLRs and nearly every photo student of mine (2-3/year) are not on the forum. But I cut them slack as I've been using Pentax cameras for 30 years and just joined last summer. At that rate PF should see a bump in membership from my friends and connections in about 29 years. Trust me: I share PF as an invaluable resource.
01-21-2016, 10:36 AM   #4180
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
How I wish that sport shirts with collars will be available in black with PENTAX embroidered on the left part of the chest. Dry fit materials would be great and PENTAX printed as stated would also be nice.
Not sure about the dry fit material, but you could get a custom embroidered polo shirt from Zillow.com or VistaPrint.com if you upload a Pentax logo.

(That's how I got a baseball cap that says SAAB on the front... )
01-21-2016, 10:44 AM   #4181
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TheOneAndOnlyJH Quote
Not sure about the dry fit material, but you could get a custom embroidered polo shirt from Zillow.com or VistaPrint.com if you upload a Pentax logo.

(That's how I got a baseball cap that says SAAB on the front... )
Whenever I've tried to do that, they usually refuse due to copyright or trademark infringement. The only way around it is to use different colors and a different font, then a few custom places will do ONE.
01-21-2016, 05:04 PM   #4182
Veteran Member

Back last year in the summer, National Camera Exchange had a huge tent sale. Me and my bro in law went to it and it had massive amounts of gears, both new and used on sale. The guy who was sitting to sell Pentax gear - I don't remember what he said, but he said something negative about full frame lenses for Pentax. I told him that FF has already been announced, and he says that's "just a rumor, Pentax haven't done anything yet." I chuckled at him and smirked a bit, then walked away trying not to laugh. I don't know why I did that, but must be because I'm so loyal to the brand.

Also I went to both National Camera Exchange in Edina and Burnsville a few months ago and they no longer stocked Pentax, but they do have quite a bit of Olympus camera and gear, which makes me jello. I believe that yes Pentax is scarce, and last time I bumped into a Pentaxian was 2 years ago at the Minnesota State Fair.
01-24-2016, 04:05 AM   #4183
Veteran Member

Pentax presence is online. The market has changed and you can always buy online, usually cheaper. In many countries laws allows you to return faulty equipment and change your mind too.

The pentax bodies are quite well positionned and reviewed meaning if you try to understand what you buy before buying, there a great chance Pentax is somewhere in your shortlist depending basically if you need a perfect AF or not or WR gear or not.

Each year sales on the internet grows and classic stores just close and see reduced sales. The interrest to spend a lot on brick and mortar stores isn't the same at it was not so long ago. For all people in the country side, in not so big city or in an expensive area, buying online level the difference and give them access to wide variety of products. I wouldn't have buy a Pentax without internet.

Hey even I brought my bed and matress online. Sure I tried it before but 2 things were interresting:
- a french maker with a brand called "maliterie.com" has some shops but they don't care if you buy online or at the shop. The shop are more to allow you to try than anything else. And matress are something were trying is essential.
- I finally didn't buy from them but tried the matress I wanted as a store that was offensive saying that they would not sell something to somebody like me that was too fat because likely they would have a return. So I brough online diretly a good matress I tried there but not at their shop of course.

But really for camera in most places, you can't really try the thing but on the opposite if you are nearly sure you want say a K3, you still have a week or more if you shop online and exchange it for another model on your shoplist on many online retailers. That's actually better service than what the typical brick and mortar does.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 01-24-2016 at 04:28 AM.
01-24-2016, 04:14 AM   #4184
Pentaxian

Well, I was at the Dinagyang festival highlight today. It's the most colorful and well celebrated festival here in Iloilo City, Philippines. We get a lot of visitors both local and international tourists. It's a photographer's dream festival. It involves as I said colorful costumes and can be considered as a difficult action photography session. It can be a source of test to what your camera can do in terms of AF speed and image quality. I looked around and saw a Leica, Sony alpha, lots of Canon and Nikon. Two Pentax camerascwere present and they were both mine. As I looked around, majority are Canon and Nikon cameras and were probably mid level cameras. I guess, both brands are really popular plus they are really affordable here compared to mid level Pentax cameras. Maybe Pentax should do something about their marketing and pricing. Pentax is rediculously priced here in my country despite the fact that they're made here in Cebu.
01-24-2016, 06:04 AM   #4185
Pentaxian

My neighbor bought a K-50 package on-line just before Christmas (No stores here in Dayton carry Pentax). He didn't know I shot Pentax. He does a lot of hiking and was attracted by the water sealing.

I did influence his post processing software choice by showing him what was possible with Paint Shop Pro.

Tim