Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2010, 09:02 AM   #406
Veteran Member

I've been on the lookout for months - actually a couple years, now that I think about it - and had never seen a Pentax DSLR in the wild. (I live in Seattle.) But this past October I saw two: a dad with his K20D (I think) out at a pumpkin patch in Fall City and a mom with her K-x at a Halloween carnival for preschoolers. Hoping the trend continues!

11-03-2010, 09:50 AM   #407
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just posted a thread about my recent trip to Disneyland. Anyhow, of the 4 days there including Halloween, I only saw one other person using Pentax and it was a K-x. Nikon and Canon dominated, but I'd say in equal amounts. Overall, there was a large amount of people using DSLRs at the magic kingdom, more so than I could remember from the year before. Of course, there's nothing scientific to my observations, as everything's anecdotal.

In addition, the majority of the people were using entry level DSLRs (e.g. D3000, EOS) and were mostly using the kit lenses. I also tend to believe a lot of people don't take the time to learn the cameras, as I saw a lot of flashes going off during the fireworks show.
11-03-2010, 11:03 AM   #408

my pentax k20 with da40mm, where?

11-03-2010, 03:31 PM   #409

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ming Quote
my pentax k20 with da40mm, where?
Too small to see!

11-03-2010, 09:34 PM   #410
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was in Buenos Aires for the last two weeks and only saw one Pentax DSLR on my last day. (A red k-x) There were dozens of Canon/Nikon shooters, and some Sony & Olympus, but Pentax seems to be way back in fifth place.

I also got a couple comments about my old K2 & KX film cameras, “Nice camera, I used to have one back in the 70’s and so on.” I also saw one other film shooter, a person with an old silver Nikon.

Phil.
11-03-2010, 10:19 PM   #411

QuoteOriginally posted by secateurs Quote
Too small to see!
yes, too small to see. only the strap became visible...lolz!

the photo was taken after the club's on-the-spot best animal portrait competition held last year in kuwait zoo. i'm the only pentax user in the club of more than 100 active members. so unique that even the first prize was shot by a pentax k20d with da55-300mm atttached!
11-03-2010, 10:26 PM   #412
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AngryCorgi Quote
I was at the National Air and Space Museum 2 weekends ago...saw at least 4 guys/girls shooting Pentax...most of them were K-x cameras (one K100D mixed in). That was the most Pentaxians I have seen at one place at the same time.
If you had been there a month ago you would have seen me, with my K-7.
11-03-2010, 10:37 PM   #413
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We had a guy into our community testing water samples for Health Canada. He was in testing our water at work (health centre) when he found out his train out was delayed for a few hours so my boss/nurse/gf invited him to our house for dinner. Over dinner the conversation came up that I am a photographer and he asked what type of camera I used. I said I am a rare breed and use Pentax. Much to my surprise he also is a Pentax user. He still shoots with the workhorse istDL, which I still use as a back-up. After dinner I took showed him my camera gear and told him about Pentax Forums, so you might see him around some day.

11-04-2010, 12:16 AM   #414
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In 32 years of Pentax ownership and frequent casual shooting, I can't recall even one time I've ever run into another Pentax user...
11-04-2010, 05:30 AM   #415
Pentaxian

Haha, but that strap was very well placed.
11-04-2010, 09:59 AM   #416
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
You know, I have to say that I like the fact that we are rare. We have wonderful cameras, a strong but small community, and an instant conversation piece (especially if one opts for the more colorful models).

I say let Canon and Nikon have their spotlight. All that matters is that I love my camera.
11-06-2010, 07:32 PM   #417
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Saw one Pentax user (out of what - 10,000?) at an airshow today (thought it might be Jimbo who is on vacation just up the road, but it wasn't). He said he recently "went digital" with Pentax as he has old lenses (and had a 300mm 2.8 going).
11-07-2010, 12:15 AM   #418
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I was down in Athens, GA last week visiting a friend. We went out to a bar on Saturday and I just about shat a brick when I saw a girl using what immediately and distinctly looked to me to be a K-7.

"Could it be?" I ask myself aloud with bated breath. Within easy but unintended earshot of my gleeful squeals, my friend simply rolls her eyes. Drifting closer, the Pentax logo resolves itself below the pop-up flash and I stand gawking as my fellow pentaxian disappears into the crowd.

My friend thinks I'm borderline insane for making such a big deal out of it. But what does she know.
11-07-2010, 04:04 AM   #419

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
Are we really that sparse out in the world?
Well, I have just returned from a holiday in Jordan and, while I was there, I kept half an eye on what cameras people in other tour groups we met were using. I was the only Pentax user (K10D) in my group.

istD / DS type - 1
K10 / K20 type - 2 (not including me)
K200 - 1
K7 / K5 type - 1
Km / Kx / Kr type - 2
X70 / X90 type - 1
ME / ME Super type - 2 - one of each

So, not too scientific as I have no data on how many DSLRs were there in total, in my group it was 4 including me, the others were 2 x Canon, 1 x Sony.

Didn't look for P&S makes either.

Make of it as you will. I could have looked closer but was taking pics.

Bill
11-07-2010, 08:37 AM   #420
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
My friend thinks I'm borderline insane for making such a big deal out of it. But what does she know.
If you haven't shown it to her already, you have this thread to prove to her in no uncertain terms that it is a big deal.