Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2016, 02:47 AM   #4231
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by waddojohn Quote
. When asked Why Pentax, my answer is always the same, I don't do point & shoot. Very rarely do they say anything else.
I like that. I'm more inclined to say something like 'only a Pentax'. The questioner tends to look sorry for me and then the conversation moves on. I prefer it that way ...

02-13-2016, 07:20 AM   #4232
Site Supporter

Last summer, on an 3+ week trip through the Pacific Northwest I only saw one fellow Pentaxian...at Butchart Gardens in the Victoria area of BC. I did see loads of expensive Cxxxxs and Nxxxxs. It seems to me that the numbers of Pentax users are shrinking fast.
02-13-2016, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #4233
What'chu lookin at

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sandbasser Quote
Last summer, on an 3+ week trip through the Pacific Northwest I only saw one fellow Pentaxian...at Butchart Gardens in the Victoria area of BC. I did see loads of expensive Cxxxxs and Nxxxxs. It seems to me that the numbers of Pentax users are shrinking fast.
Likely a tourist, but both my brother and I are Pentaxians in Victoria!
02-13-2016, 11:55 AM   #4234
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sandbasser Quote
It seems to me that the numbers of Pentax users are shrinking fast.
When I started teaching photography in the late 90's, the B&W film classes had dwindling numbers of Pentax ZX series FSLRs. When I started teaching digital, Pentax cameras were extremely rare. One exception was when a colleague that audited my class purchased a 645NII.

However, in the last year or so, Pentax has rebounded considerably:
With the B&W film class nearly a third of all cameras are K1000, Spotmatic, or Promaster 2500PK Super (K-mount Cosina). It's too bad Pentax or Cosina no longer make an entry-level all manual FSLR to compete with the Nikon FM10 (or Cosina-made Vivitar V3800N). Students that want to buy new are paying a huge premium now as the FM10 is the only entry-level 35mm FSLR option.

In digital, this semester I have four students with a K-50 and one with a K-5 (zero Olympus, Sony, Lumix, Sigma, etc.) and although that is still small relative to Canon and Nikon, the numbers are growing despite the fact that there are no retailers in the state that sell Pentax.

02-13-2016, 07:48 PM   #4235

There was a brief mention of Pentax in this week's Chelsea and Tony Nortons pod cast on YouTube. (Backlighting) they were asked what they thought of Pentax. They said the one they tried blew everything else away. Positive. But also said that Pentax had been at the lower end of the camera scale. Negative. That they really would only personally use a full frame camera for their work, but would like to test a current Pentax. Positive. And that they had applied to a test loaner. Positive. But that their name never seems to come to the top of the list. Although it was only a brief mention, it seemed positive overall and at least was a mention. It occurred during one of the Q&A segments.
04-02-2016, 12:52 AM   #4236

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This week me and my wife were on a mini-vacation in The Netherlands (aka Holland). We went to the Keukenhof flower park with more than ten thousand visitors that day, and the day after to the Amsterdam Zoo, packed with people. In Keukenhof you could count the number of visitors without a camera (ok, many using their phones, but anyway...) on one hand, at the zoo it was the same. Nikons, Canons, full frames? Oh yes, in their masses. Pentax? Well, mine. And a young guy, using his nice K1000! Yes, the only Pentax I saw on this trip to two major tourist traps was a K1000 with an A 50mm f2 lens! By the way, the only analog film camera I've seen at use for years.
We are that rare! Of course, that must because we use the Maserati of cameras. Didn't see any Maseratis in Holland, not even a Ferrari...

Kjell
04-02-2016, 10:07 AM   #4237
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bilybianca Quote
We are that rare! Of course, that must because we use the Maserati of cameras. Didn't see any Maseratis in Holland, not even a Ferrari...

Kjell
Great story. Not sure I'd say Pentax is the Maserati or Ferrari, as I see a Leica or for film the Contax S2b more in that comparison (exotic and price). The K1000 was the VW Beetle; classic, affordable, and used by many and remembered fondly. And although in my digital photography classes (I teach about 240 high school students/year) Canon this year was about 65%, Nikon 30%, and Pentax DSLRs 5%. So you were shooting with a Subaru.

In the film classes, however, it was more like Nikon/Nikkormat/Vivitar 35%, Canon 25%, Pentax/Promaster 20%, Minolta 15%, Olympus 5%.
04-02-2016, 10:19 AM   #4238

New slogan for Pentax (lousy but truthful): Pentax — not for everyone!

Kjell

04-02-2016, 10:29 AM   #4239
Pentaxian

I know one other Pentaxian, by chance a fellow in my own non-photographic industry. He owns a fairly large firm but doesn't spend big on this stuff.

Never seen another Pentax in use anywhere else in the World. All Nikon, Canon and other stuff like Olympus 4/3rd's. Lot of Sony too.

Regardless, so long as Pentax survives I still know it was the right choice for me having owned another system as well.

If Pentax can crack high performance autofocus this would go a very long way to securing their future. It should be their top priority.
04-02-2016, 07:48 PM   #4240
Forum Member

My first sighting of another Pentaxian in the wild, just a moment ago! A fellow K-3 user. This happened at a christian youth activity in a small tourist town named Tapalpa, in the Mexican state of Jalisco.
04-02-2016, 09:38 PM   #4241
Site Supporter

When asked 'why do you own a Pentax?' Answer: 'Well I am often told I am fussy in my choices, and this is an example of that trait.'
04-02-2016, 09:55 PM   #4242
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
When asked 'why do you own a Pentax?' Answer: 'Well I am often told I am fussy in my choices, and this is an example of that trait.'
I guess when we're ask why Pentax, some of the reasons that we would have in common would be value for money, weather sealed, in body image stabilization and of course the k-mount which has long been supported by Pentax. Some don't look at things the way we do.

Of course Pentax isn't a Ferrari or a Lamborghini. Maybe it's a Honda or a Toyota and is really reliable. And I have no objections with that.
04-03-2016, 01:03 AM   #4243
Pentaxian

I usually say that I like my Pentax and it works for me. 90% of the time it ends at that, the other 10% it's a discussion with a fellow gearhead that wants to know more about the brand. Of course, there is the occasional good-hearted joke, but only one or two people so far have actually tried to troll me.
04-03-2016, 01:40 AM - 1 Like   #4244
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
I usually say that I like my Pentax and it works for me. 90% of the time it ends at that, the other 10% it's a discussion with a fellow gearhead that wants to know more about the brand. Of course, there is the occasional good-hearted joke, but only one or two people so far have actually tried to troll me.
Never been asked why I use Pentax, but I had a very amusing incident at Flying Legends (Duxford, UK) last year - I was using the gripped K-3 and Sigma 100-300 F4 to shoot some low levels passes from various planes, had the frame rate set to "High" and generally kept the shutter release pressed for several seconds - Nothing unusual in that, but I got some quite surprised looks from the young lady standing next to me who was using a low-mid range Canon & zoom. Don't think she had ever seen (heard!) anything like the K-3 in machine-gun mode - maybe she might think about a Pentax for next purchase?
04-03-2016, 08:12 AM   #4245

for what its worth, i switched a friend of mine into shooting pentax after she was shooting with canon. she doesn't like the weight of pentax, but also doesn't like the plasticy-toy feel of canon. plus, the pentax rouged built is not easy to diss.

and now that i'm switching to the k-1 shortly, i may get my sister to switch to a pentax from a nikon. she wants to get a full frame, but currently she has zero full frame lenses. if she goes for the nikon 750, that body is slightly more expensive than the k-1. plus, between my friend and i (and sort of my girlfriend that i gave my old-unused-k-x to), we have plenty of lenses that we are constantly borrowing from one another.

and because of me constantly using other peoples pentax lenses, its making my canon using friends jealous. they only have themselves to rely on when it comes to lenses. while i have a few other friends i can rely on for lenses or other things.

and a few years ago, when i went to a trip across Turkey, i came across several people shooting with a pentax k-x (when the k-x was a bit newer). and my white k-x did stand out, but as did their k-x in white, blue, yellow, green, pink, purple and other random colors.