Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2016, 06:31 PM   #4396
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Regular day of waling around and visiting a museum:
I saw another pentax user, I think it was an apsc k3/k5/k7 with a zoom like the 18-135.
Saw another Nikon camera of the same category, and the rest entry level dslr and a few entry level mirror less So for the enthusiast (?) category, today pentax was one of the most popular cameras I saw if I'm counting my K3II Sampling bias ftw!

06-23-2016, 01:16 AM   #4397
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eyrr Quote
Then explain what the WR means.
Yah, that makes a few go wide eyed, especially for the bodies.
07-07-2016, 10:34 PM   #4398
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Today I got to visit the Ohio Supreme Court's Building, it's a great example of Art Deco styling. I've been meaning to get there for a while, but they are only open on weekdays and I finally got a day to do it. It turns out to be a very camera friendly place, even allowing tripods, the usual no flash policy. Anyway, I was on the main floor when a man walked up and started talking Pentax, he seen the Red K-50 on my tripod. It turns out he's a long time Pentaxian that currently shoots with a K-3. We talked a bit and of course the conversation went to how we both want a K-1. Anyway, that was a nice conversation, he said he reads the forums but doesn't really post. By the way beautiful place with these kind of detailed items:
07-08-2016, 05:17 AM   #4399
Loyal Site Supporter

Lots of Art Deco left in Ohio. Cincinnati's Netherland Plaza hotel is one to visit. That was craftsmanship.

07-08-2016, 01:10 PM   #4400
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I still can't forget standing in line with my K-3 waiting for a race to begin when I noticed that the Canikon user next to me had an Super-Takumar 50 1.4 mounted on the body. That focusing ring is unmistakable. I commented and found out is was the 8 element version. A good lens is always a good lens.
07-15-2016, 01:12 PM   #4401
Site Supporter

A little tour with my Nikon S2

Flora and I visited the High Museum in Atlanta to see the Walker Evans exhibit. It is well worth the visit; the High is also building their photography collection. I took my new-to-me Nikon S2; it seemed appropriate. During our visit I didn't see ANY "real" cameras, only dozens of cell phones and a few tablets. Two people commented on the Nikon: one guy asked if it were a mirror less camera, he seemed disappointed that it was only an old film camera. A woman asked about it, I don't think she was a photographer but she did recognize class when she saw it. (The camera, not me!) Alas and alack! I would have welcomed an encounter with a Nikon DSLR shooter....
07-15-2016, 02:16 PM   #4402
Site Supporter

I saw someone yesterday out shooting trains with a K-20. He was trying it out after a friend offered it to him used.
I did try my best sales job and let him fondle my K-3II - he seemed impressed. Worth a try I thought.
07-16-2016, 12:11 AM   #4403

Decided to sell my Sigma 28-300 as I never used it (got Tamron 70-300mm Macro instead) and a local guy called me to see it and maybe buy it. "Okay, let's meet and bring your camera with you"... and he did, a nice K-50 came along. I usually don't get way too friendly with people who I sell to or buy from, but this is a bit different. I guess we'll meet again here and there and a nice feeling knowing I'm not alone with a Pentax camera.

07-16-2016, 12:33 AM   #4404
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
I took my new-to-me Nikon S2; it seemed appropriate. During our visit I didn't see ANY "real" cameras, only dozens of cell phones and a few tablets. Two people commented on the Nikon: one guy asked if it were a mirror less camera, he seemed disappointed that it was only an old film camera.
Although my first "real" camera was a Yashica-Mat TLR medium format, Iʻve always been an SLR fan. But hands down the sharpest 35mm images Iʻve ever seen in my life was from a Nikon 35Ti (non-interchangeable lens compact) that resembles a range finder. Second place honors goes to any number of medium format Blads or Contax with an 80mm prime Zeiss. Of course, there is so much more about a camera system than sharpness which is why I prefer my Pentax 645.

My son shoots with a K-50 and his kit 18-55mm is insanely sharp. Sample variation? Meanwhile I have soooo many students with a Canon T3i or T5i and with their 18-55mm kit zooms, have unacceptably soft images (unless they shoot in LiveView). Those cameras have no ability to AF microfine tune and unless they want to pay $190 for Canon to fix it, are forced to get into prime lenses if they want any decent resolution.
07-16-2016, 05:28 AM   #4405
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Although my first "real" camera was a Yashica-Mat TLR medium format, Iʻve always been an SLR fan. But hands down the sharpest 35mm images Iʻve ever seen in my life was from a Nikon 35Ti (non-interchangeable lens compact) that resembles a range finder. Second place honors goes to any number of medium format Blads or Contax with an 80mm prime Zeiss. Of course, there is so much more about a camera system than sharpness which is why I prefer my Pentax 645.

My son shoots with a K-50 and his kit 18-55mm is insanely sharp. Sample variation? Meanwhile I have soooo many students with a Canon T3i or T5i and with their 18-55mm kit zooms, have unacceptably soft images (unless they shoot in LiveView). Those cameras have no ability to AF microfine tune and unless they want to pay $190 for Canon to fix it, are forced to get into prime lenses if they want any decent resolution.
there less and less need to get the latest version. But market segmentation mean that a "pro" or "flagship" camera is much more likely to be usable, even if a bit old than the latest greatest entry level camera.

This apply on many level. K30/K50 clearly don't have the same life expectency as K5/K3. While the latest entry level camera typically get many megapixels or even great high iso, they tend to lag in term of AF... There no use to have more MP if the picture is out of focus. Even K70 doesn't match 3 year old K3 for AF. And all entry level Canikon have basic AF systems.

It would make more sense to me to advise students to shop for a K3, D7100 or equivalent end of life good quality products than the latest consumer camera.
07-16-2016, 01:41 PM   #4406
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
It would make more sense to me to advise students to shop for a K3, D7100 or equivalent end of life good quality products than the latest consumer camera.
On one hand, I totally agree that instead of a newbie or student starting with an entry level then upgrading to the next affordable model that in the long term they should ʻinvestʻ in a flagship, but thatʻs a hard sell for parents who just dumped money on a clarinet or violin, it doesnʻt work out after two years of music lessons, and now the kid wants to take a photo class. They are also at that age where the parents are dealing with another driver in the family, a used car, more insurance, etc. I have to appreciate they agree for a DSLR as the minimum requirement instead of a cell phone or a compact SureShot or CoolPix.

And honestly as everyone has a budget, given the option of a higher end camera with a kit lens vs. an entry level with a couple of better lenses or primes, that will have a bigger impact on their photography.

Teenage and even college-aged students are also way more likely to drop, lose, or loan their things, and better that experience happens with a cheaper camera. Personally, for both film and digital, I had to own two different cameras from two different systems, before I could appreciate first hand why I really wanted and needed that higher end model. Itʻs hard to appreciate a pentaprism if youʻve never shot with a pentamirror, etc.

Also, better to form an opinion on any camera from experience, not perception. Thatʻs the one thing that probably hurts Pentax sales the most.

In our culture, we tend to be very bipolar in our thinking: Liberal vs. conservative, Mac vs. PC, Canon vs. Nikon; you throw a third option like Pentax and it takes a real independent thinker outside the box to act on what is truly an excellent value. In a class of twenty, on average I will have only one family that embraces my experience/advice....the rest just comply to the minimum requirements.
07-16-2016, 02:43 PM   #4407
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
On one hand, I totally agree that instead of a newbie or student starting with an entry level then upgrading to the next affordable model that in the long term they should ʻinvestʻ in a flagship, but thatʻs a hard sell for parents who just dumped money on a clarinet or violin, it doesnʻt work out after two years of music lessons, and now the kid wants to take a photo class. They are also at that age where the parents are dealing with another driver in the family, a used car, more insurance, etc. I have to appreciate they agree for a DSLR as the minimum requirement instead of a cell phone or a compact SureShot or CoolPix.

And honestly as everyone has a budget, given the option of a higher end camera with a kit lens vs. an entry level with a couple of better lenses or primes, that will have a bigger impact on their photography.

Teenage and even college-aged students are also way more likely to drop, lose, or loan their things, and better that experience happens with a cheaper camera. Personally, for both film and digital, I had to own two different cameras from two different systems, before I could appreciate first hand why I really wanted and needed that higher end model. Itʻs hard to appreciate a pentaprism if youʻve never shot with a pentamirror, etc.

Also, better to form an opinion on any camera from experience, not perception. Thatʻs the one thing that probably hurts Pentax sales the most.

In our culture, we tend to be very bipolar in our thinking: Liberal vs. conservative, Mac vs. PC, Canon vs. Nikon; you throw a third option like Pentax and it takes a real independent thinker outside the box to act on what is truly an excellent value. In a class of twenty, on average I will have only one family that embraces my experience/advice....the rest just comply to the minimum requirements.

Well I didn't say it had to be expensive or to be Pentax. The idea is that a K3 (for example) but also a D7100 would be a nice choice. That would cost no more than a K70 or other entry level camera that you spend more than needed for marketing reasons.

You would even find a 5D FF body for not that much theses days. In 5 minutes I found out one for 360$ on ebay.

As for lenses, a kit lens and a fast 50 should do the trick. In a sense if you get the 5D, it be easier to find a cheap AF WA (say 28/35mm) and a cheap 70-300 for $100 would still give you quite lot of possibilities for bokeh. 3.5-5.6 is not slow on FF... it is a 2.2-3.5 on APSC after all...

But I agree you'd need to know your stuff to give that to your son.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 07-16-2016 at 02:50 PM.
07-18-2016, 07:34 PM - 1 Like   #4408

So I was watching the new Netflix series, "Stranger Things" and wouldn't you know it, one of the main characters uses a Pentax film camera (show is set in the '80s).

Great show, and a cool little nugget for us. I would also add that the character that uses the Pentax is an introvert, "weird" and a loner. Just like us!!!
07-21-2016, 01:06 AM   #4409

QuoteOriginally posted by DarCam Quote
So I was watching the new Netflix series, "Stranger Things" and wouldn't you know it, one of the main characters uses a Pentax film camera (show is set in the '80s).

Great show, and a cool little nugget for us. I would also add that the character that uses the Pentax is an introvert, "weird" and a loner. Just like us!!!
Who are you calling that... oh, wait!

Was at an airshow once, with a bunch of Canikons around, and was quite surprised to see a Pentax shooter in the crowd. Singled him out, and we had a long discussion about why we shoot Pentax. In South Africa there is NO shortage of Canon/Nikon gear, but mention Pentax and people often have no idea what you are talking about. My latest acquistion, a Sigma 170-500 APO DG, was purely by accident when I was browsing a local online auction site, I was the only bidder and the auction even closed early. I spoke to the seller about the lens, and he was shooting with it on Canon with an adaptor. Pity, as I thought I might have been speaking to another Pentaxian.

B
07-21-2016, 06:40 AM   #4410
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DarCam Quote

I was wondering if that flash was gonna go off and he would accidentally attract attention to himself.