Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2016, 12:51 AM   #4411
Pentaxian

I saw quite a few Pentaxes in the wild in Norway and Sweden, including a K-1!!

07-25-2016, 02:35 AM   #4412
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I saw one yesterday at Blossac Park ... a K-50, I think.
07-25-2016, 05:05 AM   #4413
Veteran Member

Just spent 5 days at Disney--Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, Epcot Center, and Disney Springs. Tons of Canons and Nikons, with mandatory kit zoom with crap UV filter and no hood in sight. Also some kid was shooting an L telephoto with no hood. The occasional Sony. 1 Samsung.

Not a single Pentax.
07-25-2016, 05:41 AM   #4414
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fat Albert Quote
Just spent 5 days at Disney--Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, Epcot Center, and Disney Springs. Tons of Canons and Nikons, with mandatory kit zoom with crap UV filter and no hood in sight. Also some kid was shooting an L telephoto with no hood. The occasional Sony. 1 Samsung.

Not a single Pentax.
That's Walt's rules for you - no facial hair on the employees, no Pentax cameras!

07-25-2016, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #4415
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Once upon a time THE camera (in the 60ʻs and 70ʻs) that photography classes provided to high school students was the Pentax K1000. Well I am happy to say that I was able to convince my teacher colleagues and administration for my school to get our one and only camera for our AP Art Studio class; a Pentax K-S2 with a 35mm f/2.4 and 100mm Macro WR. Just a few years ago when I made the same request for our yearbook staff, I was denied because the admin had never heard of Pentax.

Things are slowly changing from rare to uncommon.
07-25-2016, 11:01 AM - 1 Like   #4416
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Once upon a time THE camera (in the 60ʻs and 70ʻs) that photography classes provided to high school students was the Pentax K1000. Well I am happy to say that I was able to convince my teacher colleagues and administration for my school to get our one and only camera for our AP Art Studio class; a Pentax K-S2 with a 35mm f/2.4 and 100mm Macro WR. Just a few years ago when I made the same request for our yearbook staff, I was denied because the admin had never heard of Pentax.

Things are slowly changing from rare to uncommon.

If it can cheer you up, your yearbook staff admin probably never heard of Hasselblad or Leica. :-)
07-25-2016, 11:16 AM   #4417

QuoteOriginally posted by Helios 84-5 Quote
If it can cheer you up, your yearbook staff admin probably never heard of Hasselblad or Leica. :-)
There's probably a lot of truth in that.

07-25-2016, 11:52 AM   #4418
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Helios 84-5 Quote
True, but as a once upon a time student, photographer, art educator, etc, for at least 2 decades the Honeywell and Asahi Pentax 35mm SLRs were the default at nearly every school, at least in the US. Other than in Germany for the Leicas and college profs and art institutes for the Hassy, Iʻd totally understand if the only other brand they knew of were Kodak, Polaroid, and maybe GAF.

My art teacher colleagues are roughly 40-65 years old and went to some notable schools like RISD, MICA, RPI, Alfred, Cornish, UO, etc. Admin is also in that age range....the film generation. But if they were like most in that age range, they may not have remembered or didnʻt take a photo class. In that case, their first cameras as adults were Kodak Instamatics, Canon AE-1, and maybe Nikon EM. IF their bachelor uncles were hobbyists, they might have had a Rollei TLR.

I miss the smell of the new packaging and cameras made in Japan. The German cameras had their own distinct aroma. But I digress.....
07-25-2016, 05:13 PM   #4419
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote

I miss the smell of the new packaging and cameras made in Japan. The German cameras had their own distinct aroma. But I digress.....
A lot to be said for a leather wrist or camera strap.... to add some long lost aroma. It would have been nice if the K-1 had provision for adding some leather to it's body.

I retired to a small (2,000 peope) seaside town 5 years ago and have met 3 other pentax shooters within a couple of miles of here..... one via this forum. It's not something I put much effort into though..... as it is quite rare to find someone your in sync with to go for a photographic outing with...... and mostly now I'm looking for a set of conditions to happen that suit a particular thing that I might want to explore..... and pre-arrange outings rarely provide these.

Last edited by noelpolar; 07-25-2016 at 05:20 PM.
07-26-2016, 09:20 AM   #4420

Last week I attended a trade show in Chicago. Saw the customary crowd of CaNikons in a fair amount and a lot of cell phones-as-camera examples, but no single Pentax both during the show and during my outings in the city. I didn't bring mine either but used my cell phone camera instead. No need to risk my treasure.
07-26-2016, 10:00 AM   #4421
Veteran Member

Someone must be buying these cameras. I've heard Pentax is popular in Japan.
07-26-2016, 12:05 PM   #4422
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Last Weekend I was at Long Beach Aquarium here in California, as usual thousands of cell phones, few Canikons and couple of Mirrorless cameras. But suddenly there was a familiar button layout on a camera that was held by a person in front of me, woo hoo its a Pentax!! It's a K5, beaten up with top LCD cracked. Approached the gentleman and talked about his camera, showed my K50 with my 40mm XS. He was happy to see another Pentaxian. He loves his K5, said it has survived many harsh situations and he was using a 43 mm limited on it. He also mentioned that he had been shooting Pentax since the film days and recently invested in K1 and loves it too.
07-26-2016, 12:37 PM   #4423
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We're all over the place!

I'd say there are plenty of us. We're just spread out all over the world. I belong to no less than 20 Pentax oriented Flickr groups most of which are K-3 groups with several lens specific groups thrown in too. When I decided to buy my first DSLR and move from my Panasonic FZ35 Super Zoom I did a good bit of reseach and bought a K-50 back when they came out then I've moved on to a K-3 which I love. The thing that absolutely sold me on Pentax was the in body image stabilization and the ability to use legacy lens. Hard to beat the K mount DSLRs for a good value and ruggedness.

Larrymc
07-27-2016, 12:17 PM   #4424
Veteran Member

When I joined this forum, I wasn't aware that the Pentax Corporation was defunct since 2008 : / Hell, before joining this forum I thought Pentax was as big as either Canon or Nikon heh Pentax was very present when I was a kid and I always assumed that they were as big as the other camera manufacturers.

Last edited by Helios 1984; 07-27-2016 at 12:25 PM.
07-27-2016, 12:29 PM   #4425
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I'd say there are plenty of us. We're just spread out all over the world. I belong to no less than 20 Pentax oriented Flickr groups most of which are K-3 groups with several lens specific groups thrown in too. When I decided to buy my first DSLR and move from my Panasonic FZ35 Super Zoom I did a good bit of reseach and bought a K-50 back when they came out then I've moved on to a K-3 which I love. The thing that absolutely sold me on Pentax was the in body image stabilization and the ability to use legacy lens. Hard to beat the K mount DSLRs for a good value and ruggedness.

Larrymc
I bought my first Pentax (and the only brand new one so far) when I was in grad school. I just wanted a camera, and I went to a camera store around the corner. The guy there asked me what kind of camera I wanted, and I told him "the one that takes pictures" or something to that effect. His advice was to get a Pentax because of the ability to use legacy lenses. I knew nothing about legacy lenses, but thought it was probably a good idea to be able to put any lens if one bothers getting an SLR. Right? My canikon friends always comment on that fact, as well as on the size and weight of Pentax lenses. And cost. And I always comment on the fact that they haven't switched yet