Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2010, 10:43 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I run into Pentax shooters fairly regularly in southern Ontario. Probably a distant 3rd behind Nikon and Canon for SLRs. One older guy had even purchased a K-x and converted his stable of old Nikon primes to Pentax mount because he wanted shake reduction and AA batteries when he finally decided to buy a DSLR. He sounded bitter about lower end Nikons not metering properly with his old glass.

As much as anything I get comments from people using other brands when I'm using Takumars because even from a distance they obviously aren't modern lenses.

08-06-2010, 10:59 PM   #32

Well, it was even rarer here in Turkey 2-3 years ago

With the help of pentaxturkey.com community Pentax has been heard more widely and user count had been come to a decent number.

Most users had manuel lenses and DA zoom.
Then, users who wants to advance questioned the way must be taken.
We even had not a Pentax distributor. Lenses were hard to find and there is the guarantee issue.
So some users switched to Canikon FF.

Then things started to change
First K-7 has come out, then the K-x.
That gave us boost, new members everyday and still on.
That little K-x made people know Pentax and buy Pentax

Moreover, a decent company-Toshiba distributor- have taken over Pentax distributor and brought lots of lenses and supplied confidence.
Guarantee issue was holding us back recommending Pentax to non-enthusiastic because there was no distributor here.

Moreover, a second official technical support has been started to serve in Ankara. He says he even will help with the SDM issue. Who would believe : )

Now people who wants to advance buys limited or star lenses instead of switching to FF.
We even don't talk about FF anymore would you believe
We talk about DA35 macro or DA100mm WR macro ; FA77 Limited or DA* 50-135
For now limiteds win over stars because of compactness, especially with a K-x .

Yes we are still rare but growing rapidly here
08-06-2010, 11:57 PM   #33

I love to be rare. Rare&Good things usually suggest unparalleled taste
08-07-2010, 12:22 AM   #34
Forum Member

What's good about being Pentax is that when you come across a guy using Pentax, you'll probably exchange some conversations and become friends. I've approached many strangers who used K-x and K-7 in the streets and many of them have already become my friends.

Now, I don't see this happening around with Canikons. There's always a good thing about Pentax. It's not just about the camera, it's about compassion and value of photography that everyone seems to forget in this modern era.

08-07-2010, 12:48 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
You mean those of us (including me) that are no longer rare, but decidely well done?

Jer
You and me both....
08-07-2010, 03:11 AM   #36
Pentaxian

We're pretty rare. I even had a salesman at one camera store tell me that Pentax doesn't make digital cameras.
08-07-2010, 03:56 AM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Out of curiosity I pay attention to what others are shooting and rarely see another pentax, but when in Prague for a conference I was approached by a canon shooter who was watching me take shots of the statues on the Charles bridge. He ultimately approached me and asked why my shots were so much better than his. I was really tempted to respond because I use pentax, but bit my toynbee and gave him a lesson on exposure

As others have said pentax marketing does not really establish brand recognition the way nikon and canon do so the uninformed go with the recognizable brand. Not to make fun of a new forum member but 2 weeks ago someone with a canon 5d MK II admitted he didn't know anything about photography and wanted to know how to use pentax lenses on his camera

08-07-2010, 04:06 AM   #38
Inactive Account

Haha read this thread yesterday and today I see a tourist with a Spotmatic
Did see 3 Canons and a Nikon though.
08-07-2010, 04:20 AM   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Of photographers I see, here, only my family, none of them shoot Pentax thought they've seen what my Pentax and me can do via my photos in PPG, they still insist on buying canikons, pointedly, p&s's.

But I don't consider myself a rare entity but a unique one, with my film and DSLR Pentax cameras.
08-07-2010, 04:30 AM - 1 Like   #40

Photos: Albums
I guess Pentax is more popular in Europe than in the US. Of course Canon and Nikon are by far the most common, but you do see Pentax quite often. All serious photography stores in my city sell all Pentax lenses and accessories.

However once an old friend from Washington D.C. visited me in Slovakia and asked me when he saw my DSLR; "Pentax?!, is that one of those old soviet cameras?"
08-07-2010, 05:18 AM - 1 Like   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's not Pentax shooters that are rare....

Really, the average American consumer would be happy to shoot with cameras like the KX and K7 and put the extra money they would otherwise spend on Canikons in their pocket. That type of person is not rare. What is rare is a place to put your hands on the gear, touch it, peer through it and "kick the tires" so to speak. I would bet that a very large percentage of us on this forum have bought our gear sight unseen ( I ordered my K100D, K10D, K20D and K7 without ever touching a real copy) and that just isn't the way people spend 500 dollars or more on cameras.

I argue that if Americans could see Pentax gear along side the Canikons at places like Best Buy, we'd find shooters like us to be more common.

germar
08-07-2010, 05:24 AM   #42
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Netsoft Quote
What's good about being Pentax is that when you come across a guy using Pentax, you'll probably exchange some conversations and become friends. I've approached many strangers who used K-x and K-7 in the streets and many of them have already become my friends.
I don't find this true at all. Every single person I have noticed using a Pentax on the street has never acknowledged my K200D. I've even said to a person carting a K-7 'Nice camera', only to be ignored. I seem to end up talking to people with Canons. Because the majority of photographers use Canon and the chances are simply better you are going to meet a more like minded person.

Driving is more a chore than a hobby, but you don't pull up to a Ford and start talking to the bloke because he is also driving a Ford- for all you know he is a complete prick.
08-07-2010, 05:36 AM   #43
Inactive Account

Maybe Pentax should just get some B-level celebrity to hawk their product ala Canikon with their Andre Agassi and Ashton Kucher ad campaigns. Seems to have worked for them.
08-07-2010, 07:55 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Truth. Really.

I took a black A40 as a pocket camera to a dinner party last year and took a casual shot of the seated dinner party. The hostess said, "Oh! You brought a nice camera!" (I know, that camera leaves a lot to be desired).

In the ensuing polite discussion about backward compatibility, excellent glass and benighted marketing to Americans there wasn't a single shooter at that table who currently uses Pentax but EVERY COUPLE had had at least one in the past, usually a K1000 or MESuper (we're not really old enough to have started with a Spotmatic).

One guy said he had traded in his Pentax lenses when he got his first DSLR.

I replied, "I probably bought your trade-ins."

Must have struck a chord, because there was quite a round of laughter.
08-07-2010, 08:15 AM   #45

I, too, was at the Scott Kelby Photowalk in my place 2 weeks ago and was the lone Pentaxian.