Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2016, 09:16 AM   #4501
Veteran Member

3x others in the Pisa & Florence areas of Tuscany last week!

09-12-2016, 12:38 PM   #4502

Photos: Albums
Getting ready to head back to Vancouver , Canada from New York. Been here for a week. US Open, lots of site seeing... not a single Pentax or Ricoh.

I love and hate the fact we are so unique.
09-13-2016, 06:36 AM   #4503
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And another class starts. I had 10 students, all Canikons! At least I still get to review the competition! I am always amazed how some manufacturers BURY things like White Balance and ISO adjustments into the menus. I guess NO ONE changes these things regularly!

Regards,
09-13-2016, 06:54 AM   #4504
Loyal Site Supporter

Ran into a young lady with a Pentax at the zoo this weekend. (K-50, I think) That's three Pentaxes I've seen "in the wild" in my wanderings this year.

She wasn't enthusiastic about it; her father bought it. Her opinion of Pentax was that it was good, with poor lens selection compared to Canikon (I think she had a Tamron lens mounted) but the major attraction of the brand was that it was cheap (she obviously doesn't read posts around here! ). Her biggest complaint was poor video.

09-13-2016, 06:57 AM   #4505
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
And another class starts. I had 10 students, all Canikons! At least I still get to review the competition! I am always amazed how some manufacturers BURY things like White Balance and ISO adjustments into the menus. I guess NO ONE changes these things regularly!

Regards,
In the local U3A ("University of the 3rd Age" group for us of the"older generation"!) group many people don't even know about changing these adjustments, And I guess the same is true of many others of all ages! OTOH, I've been doing it a lot whilst on holiday over the last few days, and the K-30 makes it so easy to do, whereas it's a bit of a nightmare with some of the basic Canikon DSLRs!
09-13-2016, 09:10 AM   #4506

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Ran into a young lady with a Pentax at the zoo this weekend. (K-50, I think) That's three Pentaxes I've seen "in the wild" in my wanderings this year.

She wasn't enthusiastic about it; her father bought it. Her opinion of Pentax was that it was good, with poor lens selection compared to Canikon (I think she had a Tamron lens mounted) but the major attraction of the brand was that it was cheap (she obviously doesn't read posts around here! ). Her biggest complaint was poor video.
Kids these days...give 'em a camera and they complain that they can't text with it : /

...I'm joking...partially.
09-13-2016, 09:50 AM   #4507
Site Supporter

Regards,
I would absolutely hate having to go into a menu to change ISO.
09-13-2016, 10:39 AM   #4508
Site Supporter

Regards,
My current crop of digital photo student camera tally:

Canon: 26
Nikon: 13
Pentax: 4 (three K-50, one K-20)
Lumix: 1

I have 16 film photo students, but haven't tallied them yet as they are making pinhole cameras for their first assignment.

09-16-2016, 04:53 AM - 1 Like   #4509

Spotted a total of 3 pentax cameras during my 10 days in Italy, 1 in Venice and 2 in Lucca.
09-16-2016, 09:19 AM   #4510
Loyal Site Supporter

My wife spotted a young lady sporting a white K- something with strap on the trail in Durmitor National Park/Montenegro this morning. Otherwise, probably 70% p&s and 30% DSLR.
09-17-2016, 06:42 PM   #4511
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote

I think what I'm going to post is a little OT but, it's just as an inquiry. According to Mr. Northrup in his video mistakes of camera companies, he said that the biggest mistake of Nikon is not improving the mount so Nikon is poor on video. Pentax's mistake is the k-1. Is it safe to assume that Pentax video is better than Nikon? I never used mine. I don't do videos.
09-17-2016, 07:13 PM   #4512
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Is it safe to assume that Pentax video is better than Nikon?
The impression I have gotten is the opposite: that Pentax is even more lackluster than Nikon.
09-17-2016, 07:34 PM - 1 Like   #4513
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
IAccording to Mr. Northrup in his video mistakes of camera companies, he said that the biggest mistake of Nikon is not improving the mount so Nikon is poor on video. Pentax's mistake is the k-1. Is it safe to assume that Pentax video is better than Nikon? I never used mine. I don't do videos.
No, it is not safe to assume anything, and I donʻt agree about Nikonʻs lens mount or the K-1 being a big mistake; quite the opposite. If you donʻt shoot videos, then Iʻm not sure why you would care, but in that lies some of the reasoning of Nikon and Pentax.

To make an analogy, people donʻt buy compact cars if they want cargo space any more than they buy trucks for fuel economy and ease of parking. Pentaxians and Nikonians like the option of shooting video, but itʻs not the primary reason they why bought into the system. Itʻs usually more about brand loyalty, legacy glass, and the overall strengths of that make and model.

I have never seen a pro cinematographer or videographer use AF nor shift or change apertures during a shot. Iʻve worked on films and videos where by design, the entire project was shot at one aperture and ISO and the lighting was adjusted to match a specific EV.

The consumer/prosumer video market is pursued mostly by Sony and Canon with Panasonic a distant third. I do not believe Nikon or Ricoh is putting a lot of precious R&D in trying to compete in that specific function and I think it is wise; not a mistake.
09-17-2016, 11:43 PM   #4514
Site Supporter

I have a K3 which I bought new over 3 years ago. Almost all my use of it is for its primary purpose, stills. I have used the video to find out what it is like and for a couple of scientific purposes where the subject was under fixed light and there was no change of distance between the camera and subject. It worked well for that limited purpose. If I wanted to do serious video projects, like making some kind of film to be displayed as a film, not just a bit of entertainment for friends and family, I would look into getting a proper video camera which would offer a good filming interface for the user and be designed to perform well.

In a still camera I want one that is designed to be the best within constraints that it can be. I do not want its core function compromised by nice to have extras unrelated to the core function and I also do not want the price inflated by the R&D needed to make the nice to haves not compromise core function and perform well.
09-18-2016, 09:11 AM   #4515
Site Supporter

This week at Photography workshops. I seen canon point and shoots (not supposed to have been brought. ) was supposed to be at a class for those who knew their own camera for a course to learn lighting. Well .... Not what happened. Poor lady next to me..... "...Excuse me... What's an I..S...O?... Is that on my camera? Where?.... P&S is on 'A' setting ??? This was most of the students except me, One whole hour on that stuff.... Noooooooo! Wasn't really the instructors fault but sheesh He coulda gave me a discount to help him to 'fix' camera settings... During the two workshops I seen 3 Canons, 4 Nikons, 3 Pentax (all mine), and one LUMIX.