Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2399 Likes Search this Thread
09-18-2016, 01:42 PM   #4516
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
At a workshop yesterday, there were three Canons, three Pentaxes (all forum members), one Hasselblad, one Sony A99, and one Nikon.

Nikon is doomed!

09-18-2016, 04:00 PM   #4517
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
At a workshop yesterday, there were three Canons, three Pentaxes (all forum members), one Hasselblad, one Sony A99, and one Nikon.

Nikon is doomed!
Did you bring the Pentaxes?
09-18-2016, 04:11 PM   #4518
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
Did you bring the Pentaxes?
Three of us, Sherrvonne.

You seem incredulous, as if I've seen Elvis! 😀
09-18-2016, 04:13 PM   #4519
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
I think most of us have been in similar situations at some time (at least 3x in my case): newbie buys a "nice" camera from a shop without having any real idea of what it is/can do because the "nice salesman" told them it was "very good" and will take great pictures - and then they find out they don't have the slightest idea how to drive it, and it is down to someone completely new to that camera to show them the basics of how it works..........
I found it interesting that while others were searching menus on their DSLR's I had no problem at all except .... Interval shooting. Never used it, oh my couldn't find it... Eeeek.... Oh well I could shoot without it. Found it the next day changing the 2 sec timer. Duh! I did what the others did, searched through the menu, Pentax put it in such an easy convenient spot I didn't even look there. With the exception of the pure ignorance on my part the Pentax menu just makes sense to me and is easy. I found all my settings in seconds, no one else did. So this is a big Thank You to the Forum.... A thank you for all the info and help that made me learn my equipment.

---------- Post added 09-18-16 at 06:17 PM ----------

Three of us, Sherrvonne.

You seem incredulous, as if I've seen Elvis! 😀
Never know, did any of them have black hair and a tight sparkly pant suit?

09-18-2016, 05:34 PM   #4520
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
]
Never know, did any of them have black hair and a tight sparkly pant suit?
You've described accurately the gentleman who introduced himself to me as @wizofoz. He drove a pink Cadillac and still I didn't make the connection.

09-18-2016, 05:45 PM - 1 Like   #4521
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You've described accurately the gentleman who introduced himself to me as @wizofoz. He drove a pink Cadillac and still I didn't make the connection.
I resemble that remark! (not so sure about the 'gentleman' part though) You mean the white onesy body suit didn't give it away Clackers?

Actually there were 4 Pentax cameras at the shoot, but my K-3 didn't make it out of the bag

I'm trying to find the contact details for the Guinness BOR people to see what the world record is for Pentaxians at a photo shoot.
09-18-2016, 08:05 PM   #4522
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
I resemble that remark! (not so sure about the 'gentleman' part though) You mean the white onesy body suit didn't give it away Clackers?
The models were quite distressed by your rendering of 'Hunka Hunka Burnin' Love' between setups!

BTW, I had a K-S2 second body so that was five under the same roof.

09-18-2016, 09:30 PM   #4523
Pentaxian

Yall were on a roll, I wowed everyone with a yellow Q7 with an adapter and 18- 55 kit lens. No one had seen that before. Of course it was the usual ???'s on the K3's. Went on a night shoot at a bronze foundry. Everyone was really nice.
09-19-2016, 12:40 AM   #4524
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Flora and I visited the High Museum in Atlanta to see again the Walker Evans exhibit. A major showing, and well mounted. As on our first visit I carried and used my new to me Nikon S2. On the first visit someone asked me if it were a mirrorless camera! Of course it is, but I resisted, and explained that it was an iconic film camera. Another visitor expressed admiration for its beauty. A person of exquisite taste! Few real cameras, other than the usual low-end Canikons, and of course the scrum of cell phones and tablets.

Second visit: No real cameras to be seen. The museum "guard" was really knowledgeable about the exhibit and had been or was a photographer himself. A few black blobs on neck straps sighted in the middle distance. At the 1280 Restaurant, part of the High, the maitre d' chatted and asked what my Gossen light meter was; he did recognizer the S2 as a camera. A pleasant sort, he didn't realize that one could still buy film! Since he was a movie fan I wish I'd thought to tell him that several directors - Quentin Tarantino comes to mind - use film preferentially, and that cine film is a significant income stream for The Great Yellow Father.

And so it goes...to quote Kurt Vonnegut.
09-19-2016, 03:19 AM - 1 Like   #4525
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My wife asked me yesterday why Pentax?
Simply put;
- Value for money
- Weather sealing / tough body
- In body SR
- Compact
- Nice design
- Good image quality

I guess some people really don't value what we see. Only a Jedi can see what we see. Use the force Pentaxians!
09-19-2016, 04:18 AM - 1 Like   #4526
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The models were quite distressed by your rendering of 'Hunka Hunka Burnin' Love' between setups!
Distressed? I thought they were swooning

BTW, I had a K-S2 second body so that was five under the same roof.
5 Pentax bodies in one place? and nary a camera shop in sight. Do you think they would show up on a scan- like a magnetic anomaly? We need to be careful, the canikon thought police might discover our covert cell

Last edited by wizofoz; 09-19-2016 at 05:51 AM.
09-19-2016, 11:43 AM   #4527
Veteran Member

I went to see tall ships in Brockville, Ontario, this weekend. There was a ton of people. I did not see any Pentaxes, only Canons and Nikons, but when I was taking some pictures with my 645, one visitors asked me if that was a medium format Pentax. I told him he was one of the rare people who know about Pentax and medium format... He told me I was lucky.
09-19-2016, 12:40 PM   #4528

My sister has a K10 D and now a K3 . Years ago she had the K1000 film camera. I think the entry level canons and nikons sell simply because they are more often available in local stores. Even though Pentax is the better value at a given price point. I have a K10 D, and am thinking of getting a new or newer body. Although maybe buying some prime lenses for the money is a better investment. I dont know.
09-20-2016, 12:19 PM   #4529
Veteran Member

Only person taking photos with a Pentax......
09-20-2016, 01:28 PM   #4530

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
I've read the "pros dissing Pentax" thread and had a bit of a laugh. I shot high-end Canon for 30 years in my film days but am at a more laidback place now during semi-retirement. For the switch to DSLR, I couldn't justify the expense - particularly for good glass - that Canon entailed and went with Pentax. I am very happy with that choice despite the occasional sneer from my former Canon compatriots.

Now, my topic. During the recent Worldwide Photo Walk, I joined 40+ area photographers for a fun day of shooting followed by a group lunch and wrap-up. In that group, I saw exactly zero Pentax DSLRs - aside from my own. I found myself "justifying" my choice not to go with Canikon during good natured discussions. Not so much distain but more "why in the world would a serious photographer NOT buy Canikon??"

Are we really that sparse out in the world?
For a long time I thought my is the only Pentax K-01 in Germany.
Attached Images