Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2016, 03:36 AM   #4531

4 weeks traveling through Thailand, part of the time on concert tour with a 50 heads high school big band. Not 1 single Pentax camera seen, except my K-1 of course. In the Camera shops, even the duty free shops on the airport there are Nikon, Canon, Sony, Fujifilm, Panasonic, GoPro, but no Pentax.

09-23-2016, 02:44 PM   #4532
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Saw a k-01 at the marina today here in Newfoundland!
09-25-2016, 07:39 AM   #4533
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

5 days in Lisbon, Portugal. Only one Pentax spotted (white, near cathedral). Hundreds of Canon in all flavours, Canon bags, Canon straps, Canon t-shirts and probably many wearing Canon underwear ;-). Fewer Nikon, then a big gap to a few Fuji, and Olympus and one leica.

Sadly I tried hard to spot another Pentax. I have to admit I was travelling light and was using my Ricoh GR so I was not helping the Pentax brand, I suppose. Didn't spot another Ricoh either, but I did notice many looks at it to work out what it was. Especially when I was using it on a small carbon monopod, while I was thinking I'll be getting some good, clean indoor shots down to 1/10 sec while those enjoying their Canon (undies) will have grainy, poor colour images to remind them of their poor judgement...
09-25-2016, 07:50 AM   #4534
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
probably many wearing Canon underwear ;-). .
I know someone with a Canon tattoo.

09-25-2016, 09:09 AM   #4535
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eyrr Quote
I know someone with a Canon tattoo.
I wonder where it is, or where it ought to be
09-25-2016, 09:22 AM - 1 Like   #4536
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
Google "canon tattoo" and then click on "Images".

That said. there are also Pentax tattoo pics out there as well.

09-25-2016, 09:36 AM   #4537
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
It is on her upper arm... after googling the images, I realize that there are many many worse choices.

---------- Post added 09-25-16 at 09:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
Google "canon tattoo" and then click on "Images".
Oooohhh, I wish I hadn't done that...

09-26-2016, 03:27 PM   #4538
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eyrr Quote
It is on her upper arm... after googling the images, I realize that there are many many worse choices.

---------- Post added 09-25-16 at 09:37 AM ----------

Oooohhh, I wish I hadn't done that...
There are just some things you can't un-see!

DAZ
10-02-2016, 08:38 PM   #4539
Veteran Member

Spotted a Pentax strap holding what could have been a k-5/k-3 on the ferry this afternoon, on the run from Victoria to Vancouver
10-03-2016, 01:47 PM   #4540
Pentaxian

Twoo pentaxians yesterday (K-5 & K-30, both of them having Sigma zooms) in addition of me and 3 of my bodies (K-5II, K-3 & K-1) in our best waders french bird-spot ; amongst about 34 people, the rest being canikon (canon/nikon => 70/30%) shooters.
10-03-2016, 02:35 PM   #4541
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
So my high school level Black & White film class students have brought in their cameras and the tally:
(5) Nikon, (4) Pentax, (4) Canon, (2) Minolta, (1) Olympus. The Pentax models include a K1000, ZX-30, SF-10, and Promaster 2500PK (Pentax mount).
10-16-2016, 02:37 PM   #4542
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm a fan of the old British TV series 'Time Team'. I record the old episodes and watch them back at leisure. Recently two episodes showed the Archeologists sporting cameras around their necks. I looked hard and both seemed to be a MX body and zoom lens.
10-16-2016, 02:59 PM   #4543
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
I'm a fan of the old British TV series 'Time Team'. I record the old episodes and watch them back at leisure. Recently two episodes showed the Archeologists sporting cameras around their necks. I looked hard and both seemed to be a MX body and zoom lens.
Must have been VERY old episodes if they were using film-era cameras - there have been quite a few more modern ones, but as I don't look at most of those then I don't know if they had then "gone digital"!
10-16-2016, 05:19 PM   #4544
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote

I think I have watched every episode at least twice and most at least 3 times. It is normally Mick Aston with the camera and throughout the whole run, I believe Mick has used Pentax, Canon and Nikon at different times. If he went digital, it would have been the last two or three season before he passed away.
10-16-2016, 06:43 PM   #4545
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Is it me, or does it bother anyone else when in film or television, there is a character that is shown to switch from one brand to the other? For example in the 2014 film Boyhood, the main character (they spent 12 years shooting this film as the characters aged in real time) develops a passion for photography. He shoots with a Nikon FSLR and eventually there is a pivotal moment in the darkroom with his high school photography teacher. (Spoiler alert): At the end of the film, heʻs out and about shooting with a Canon DSLR.

I absolutely loved the film...except for this one aspect; the ergonomics of Canon is very different than Nikon. So why are the characters switching?

I worked in Hollywood (back in the 20th century) and whenever the director needed a camera as a prop, theyʻd just come over to the stills photographer to borrow their gear. The only other exception is for product placement, so perhaps the director initially used Nikon because of the aforementioned reason, but Canon later became a sponsor and thus insisted their gear was used in the scene.

All this to say, it bothered me that the director wouldnʻt understand or appreciate that the character/photographerʻs passion or loyalty to one brand and to stick with it. Yes, I know many of us have switched brands over the years, but that can be expensive once youʻve invested in lenses and have ergonomic preferences. Yes some folks to switch from Ford to Chevy, PC to Mac, Honda to Toyota, but with camera systems, Iʻd argue thatʻs a luxury. My big switch was when I had my entire Minolta system (4 cameras, 6 lenses) stolen, but the thief left my Pentax 645 and primes alone. So I continued with Pentax MF while switching to 35mm (3) Nikons and 5 lenses courtesy of insurance.