Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2016, 06:43 PM   #4546
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Is it me, or does it bother anyone else when in film or television, there is a character that is shown to switch from one brand to the other? For example in the 2014 film Boyhood, the main character (they spent 12 years shooting this film as the characters aged in real time) develops a passion for photography. He shoots with a Nikon FSLR and eventually there is a pivotal moment in the darkroom with his high school photography teacher. (Spoiler alert): At the end of the film, heʻs out and about shooting with a Canon DSLR.

I absolutely loved the film...except for this one aspect; the ergonomics of Canon is very different than Nikon. So why are the characters switching?

I worked in Hollywood (back in the 20th century) and whenever the director needed a camera as a prop, theyʻd just come over to the stills photographer to borrow their gear. The only other exception is for product placement, so perhaps the director initially used Nikon because of the aforementioned reason, but Canon later became a sponsor and thus insisted their gear was used in the scene.

All this to say, it bothered me that the director wouldnʻt understand or appreciate that the character/photographerʻs passion or loyalty to one brand and to stick with it. Yes, I know many of us have switched brands over the years, but that can be expensive once youʻve invested in lenses and have ergonomic preferences. Yes some folks to switch from Ford to Chevy, PC to Mac, Honda to Toyota, but with camera systems, Iʻd argue thatʻs a luxury. My big switch was when I had my entire Minolta system (4 cameras, 6 lenses) stolen, but the thief left my Pentax 645 and primes alone. So I continued with Pentax MF while switching to 35mm (3) Nikons and 5 lenses courtesy of insurance.

10-16-2016, 07:12 PM   #4547
Site Supporter

I expect nothing in Hollywood to be normal.
10-16-2016, 08:21 PM   #4548
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
it bothered me that the director wouldnʻt understand or appreciate that the character/photographerʻs passion or loyalty to one brand and to stick with it.
The kid was young, why wouldn't he try something different? Wisdom teaches you what works and is good and what isn't.

On another note, I spent a day at the NY Botanical Gardens yesterday. The Mums show is up and there is great color and they always present the flowers well! I saw a lot of cameras, and as usual, they were all Canikons. SO we move on....
10-16-2016, 10:19 PM   #4549
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
The kid was young, why wouldn't he try something different? Wisdom teaches you what works and is good and what isn't.
In my youth I bounced from Yashica to Minolta to Pentax & Nikon, but Iʻve seen thousands of high school student photographers in 20 years and Iʻd say less than 10% have gone through the expense and thought and effort of switching between high school and college. The cameras usually come from the parents that are invested in one system, and when they sink $300-$800 into a camera for an art class for their kids, they are also thinking that itʻs a phase and the kid will lose interest and theyʻll end up with the upgrade.

And when Iʻm talking about ergonomics, I donʻt mean so much the light weight plastic feel and clack sounding shutter vs. a solid metal feel and deeper sounding shutter. When you manually focus and one system has infinity on the far left and the other on the far right; the index finger changes aperture and thumb wheel shutter speed on one, but the reverse on the other; turning the control wheel one way increase shutter speed on one, but decreases it on the other....this is all designed to discourage us from switching brands.

One has always called it S and the other Tv, etc. Even the designation micro vs. macro.

Yes, there are good reasons why people do switch, but Iʻve never seen a film that bothered showing why. And most directors and actors donʻt even bother studying how photographers hold SLRs. Kudos to Nick Nolte on Underfire, Steven Spielberg on Jurassic Park III, and Stellan Skarsgård on Powder Keg for nailing it.

10-17-2016, 03:20 AM   #4550
Forum Member

From NYC, so far only spotted 2 Pentaxians.
In BH and a guy asked me why I am not using Canon or Nikon. I just pull my 15 Years old wallet out. (Very much empty)
I picked Pentax because they are worthy and I really get what I pay for...plus I have confidence on my K-5IIs in case I need a self-defense object, I once got hit by the lower edge of it, guess who receive more damage...
Seems Pentax is more "popular" on Asian market than Western.
10-17-2016, 04:11 AM   #4551

Just joining the Pentax fold, having bought a nice second hand K-r. The idea is to grow into and learn a lot about photography with a dslr, without spending too much money all at once.
So far so good... I like her.
10-17-2016, 03:26 PM   #4552
Pentaxian

This is the kind of nonsense that goes on at other photography discussion forums {these comments were some that responded to a guy who had found an old Pentax ME Super}:
QuoteQuote:
That was a nice camera back in the day.
If you tried selling it, the body won't be worth much.
The lenses may net you more, depending on what they are. They can most likely be adapted to a mirrorless camera. If you like it, keep it.
I'm wishing I would have kept a lot of my old cameras out of nostalgia's sake.
QuoteQuote:
I heard through the grapevine that Pentax finally went completely out of business. It's a shame to see them go.
QuoteQuote:
Don't be fooled. For years now their company in Denver consisted with one person trying to keep up with everything and I think she finally quit.
QuoteQuote:
Pentax has been slowly dying for years now. They even tried partnering up with Samsung for awhile and that didn't work out. They'll be completely gone before you know it.
10-17-2016, 04:23 PM   #4553
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fverhoef Quote
Just joining the Pentax fold, having bought a nice second hand K-r. The idea is to grow into and learn a lot about photography with a dslr, without spending too much money all at once.
So far so good... I like her.
Welcome to the fold. At least you have joined the Pentax clan. Now we are slowly growing.

10-17-2016, 07:46 PM   #4554
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Welcome to the fold. At least you have joined the Pentax clan. Now we are slowly growing.
Did you give 'her' a name? My K3 is a him named 'Spencer' the k3II is 'Erech'.
10-17-2016, 11:22 PM   #4555

Thank you! For some reason I'm always a bit attracted to the underdog. Though in this case I've done a lot of research, and in the end I did want to buy myself into the Pentax line... and the K-r looked like a decent starting point. Previously I shot with a RX100 (very nice compact) and one of those older Panasonic zoom compacts. But this Pentax I like. Also added an SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7 lens. Really like that one, except my focusing skills are too slow to keep up with my kids

QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
Did you give 'her' a name? My K3 is a him named 'Spencer' the k3II is 'Erech'.
Not named her yet, but she's definitely female. Have to watch out that the wife is not getting jealous
10-18-2016, 12:20 AM   #4556
Pentaxian

Naming a camera is not a bad idea. I have a k-5II and a k-3II. As of now, I can't think of a name. Maybe I'll call them 5 and 3 respectively for now.
10-18-2016, 03:49 AM   #4557
Site Supporter

Naming a camera is not a bad idea.
I call my K-1 and K-3 "This One" and "That One"... or is it the other way around? Can't remember now.
10-18-2016, 04:54 AM - 1 Like   #4558
Pentaxian

OK, since Pentaxians are Jedi. I will officially call mine R2K3 and C3k5. They'll be my droids and my 55-300 is my light saber.

---------- Post added 10-18-16 at 07:55 PM ----------

OK, since Pentaxians are Jedi, I will officially call mine R2K3 and C3k5. They'll be my droids and my 55-300 is my light saber.
10-18-2016, 11:10 AM   #4559
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
I call my K-1 and K-3 "This One" and "That One"... or is it the other way around? Can't remember now.
That should be "this one" and "them".
10-18-2016, 11:10 PM   #4560

OK, since Pentaxians are Jedi. I will officially call mine R2K3 and C3k5. They'll be my droids and my 55-300 is my light saber.

---------- Post added 10-18-16 at 07:55 PM ----------

OK, since Pentaxians are Jedi, I will officially call mine R2K3 and C3k5. They'll be my droids and my 55-300 is my light saber.
Impossible! A light saber should be a prime.