Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2016, 05:01 AM - 4 Likes   #4561

Photos: Albums
Some weeks ago I was visiting a local historic site with my K30 and 18-135 DALWR; and there was one other visitor, an older gentleman with a medium-sized Nikon DSLR . We nodded at each other as we crossed paths.
Then a nice gentle rain started. Gentleman continued wandering around, but his camera had disappeared into the bag. I kept shooting. Paths crossed again and I said, nice weather. He, looking concerned, pointed to my camera, "oh, but not for those!"
I told him it's weather-resistant. He took a closer look to find out what brand. "Pentax? I have a Nikon. Not weather-resistant!" I mentioned that most recent Pentax DSLR models are weather-resistant. And he went back to wandering around with his Nikon in the bag, and I kept on taking pictures with my Pentax.
I really enjoyed that.

10-19-2016, 05:34 AM   #4562

I should call my K-5IIs with 55-300 Mobile peeking Tom.
Once I finish my digiscoping, Artillery peeking Tom.
10-24-2016, 05:44 PM - 2 Likes   #4563
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As I have posted (somewhere on this website) before, when anyone comments about my Pentax, I always reply:

"Yeah, you can't buy one of these at Walmart or Best Buy, so you don't see too many."

10-25-2016, 06:05 AM   #4564
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No Pentax Love at Atlanta Zoo

We went to the Atlanta Zoo's "Boo at the Zoo" event Sunday morning. The place was mobbed! Several adult Storm Troopers were there, along with Obi Wan Kenobe, any number of young dinosaurs, etc. I saw at least one Ghost Buster, a male of the species. Many cameras, the ubiquitous Canikons - most without lens hoods, or with hoods reversed, some bridge cameras, and of course one gazillion cell phones. Even the occasional tablet shooter. I can't imagine lugging that huge thing around to take a picture!

No Pentaxes to be seen. No big surprise.

10-26-2016, 05:23 AM   #4565
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If Obi Wan was there, I'm sure he had a Pentax hidden somewhere. Of course the storm troopers being on the dark side have canikony up their sleeves.
10-26-2016, 06:34 AM   #4566
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
If Obi Wan was there, I'm sure he had a Pentax hidden somewhere. Of course the storm troopers being on the dark side have canikony up their sleeves.
Or are the Stormtroopers shooting with white Pentax DSLRs? Perhaps that is why their aim is so erratic.. they have the camera tracking in AF-C.
10-26-2016, 06:44 AM   #4567
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Or are the Stormtroopers shooting with white Pentax DSLRs? Perhaps that is why their aim is so erratic.. they have the camera tracking in AF-C.
Hey...no mocking Storm Trooper Pentaxes or I'll have you transported to the nearest sarlacc nest and thrown in like the rottting corpse of a womp rat!

Last edited by jgnfld; 10-26-2016 at 07:30 AM.
10-28-2016, 06:14 PM   #4568
Veteran Member

How rare are we?
Let's count the ways?

1= 1 70D
2= 2 d3200
3= 1 d3300
4= 3 D90 (I respect the camera)

What Camera does the Family Trust?

Pentax K-30.... (drops the mic)
10-29-2016, 03:27 AM   #4569
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
We went to the Atlanta Zoo's "Boo at the Zoo" event Sunday morning. The place was mobbed! Several adult Storm Troopers were there, along with Obi Wan Kenobe, any number of young dinosaurs, etc. I saw at least one Ghost Buster, a male of the species. Many cameras, the ubiquitous Canikons - most without lens hoods, or with hoods reversed, some bridge cameras, and of course one gazillion cell phones. Even the occasional tablet shooter. I can't imagine lugging that huge thing around to take a picture!

No Pentaxes to be seen. No big surprise.
I wonder why we have to criticize other "monorities" in the photographic world while we are ourselve a quite small minority.

I can certainly understand the appeal of a big screen compared to shooting with a phone or any camera without a viewfinder, in particular if you don't have that great eyesight. A typical modern tablet beat any EVF in term of level of details displayed. Again if you have no so great eyesight, the OVF might be not that practical or even a pain to use, anyway. It also allow a much better experience when reviewing the shots and showing them to others. It is the most effective devicet for post processing short of a full fledged computer. Like smartphone it has instant connectivity but unlike them it has great autonomy.

Many pros, use the device as a control monitor or distant shutter trigger or to show photos to clients. This is a key feature feature in advertisement of 645Z as an example.

A completely different consideration, for some reason this might be the only camera you have with you at that time even if it was un-intended. Or maybe your phone does a bad job at it and you don't want to spend more money to get something else...

No oftence intended here, but then I think why not use them as photographic tools? I am sure one can get some outstanding shots with a tablet!
10-29-2016, 08:42 AM   #4570
Pentaxian

I had a discussion with a Pentax user in the wild! He didn't have his film Pentax with him but he seen the K3 II and gave it a look over!
10-29-2016, 03:30 PM   #4571
Pentaxian

Went to Toronto Zoo today. Saw canikons everywhere with the hoods reversed, but I did see one Sony, one Olympus and two Pentax aside from mine.

I was shooting both my Pentax and Canon but unless you know exactly what they look like you can't tell. I have the names covered.
10-29-2016, 03:41 PM   #4572
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aT0Mx Quote
I was shooting both my Pentax and Canon but unless you know exactly what they look like you can't tell. I have the names covered.
Why do you cover the names?
10-29-2016, 04:32 PM   #4573
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
I wonder why we have to criticize other "monorities" in the photographic world while we are ourselve a quite small minority.

I can certainly understand the appeal of a big screen compared to shooting with a phone or any camera without a viewfinder, in particular if you don't have that great eyesight. A typical modern tablet beat any EVF in term of level of details displayed. Again if you have no so great eyesight, the OVF might be not that practical or even a pain to use, anyway. It also allow a much better experience when reviewing the shots and showing them to others. It is the most effective devicet for post processing short of a full fledged computer. Like smartphone it has instant connectivity but unlike them it has great autonomy.

Many pros, use the device as a control monitor or distant shutter trigger or to show photos to clients. This is a key feature feature in advertisement of 645Z as an example.

A completely different consideration, for some reason this might be the only camera you have with you at that time even if it was un-intended. Or maybe your phone does a bad job at it and you don't want to spend more money to get something else...

No oftence intended here, but then I think why not use them as photographic tools? I am sure one can get some outstanding shots with a tablet!
I didn't mean to start an argument, but it seems to me that one should come somewhat prepared for an event at which photos might be desired. I can see using a cell phone, since it is compact and can even be used for a telephone. But a tablet? Rather large to lug around, and I suspect that owners of such probably have a cell phone.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have occasionally used a cell phone when I'd left my real camera home. Case in point, last week we went to a lecture at the Atlanta History Center. Before the lecture we went to a barbecue "joint" (in midtown Atlanta? Really good "que," btw) In the parking lot we saw a fruiting body of a fungus or mushroom which must have been 8 or 10 inches across, and looked like a pecan pie! So I used my cell to take a picture, which I will send to the Georgia Mushroom Club, of which we are members.
10-29-2016, 07:44 PM   #4574
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK, great day in the NYC area today. Walked ALL around the north end of Central Park. There were many people out taking pictures, some actually doing photo shoots here and there. A SLEW of Canikons, a few Sony, one Leica film camera and even one Pentax (my K-1)! I was surprised I did not come across even ONE other Pentax! We truly are a rare breed (or is it we have an exclusivity about us???)
10-29-2016, 08:58 PM   #4575
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
OK, great day in the NYC area today. Walked ALL around the north end of Central Park. There were many people out taking pictures, some actually doing photo shoots here and there. A SLEW of Canikons, a few Sony, one Leica film camera and even one Pentax (my K-1)! I was surprised I did not come across even ONE other Pentax! We truly are a rare breed (or is it we have an exclusivity about us???)
Maybe there is a secret password?.....