Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
01-19-2011, 03:26 PM   #451
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I too don't care what camera people use. I have friends who use several brands including Pentax. However the Canon users and to some extent Nikon users seem to feel themselves a bit better than other brand owners. In my local photography club you can't get in a question with either group who only talk to each other. How can someone know about more than their speciality if they are not even curious. Lately I have had many more people curious for they have seen my super telephoto shots and then ask about lenses and are oh so surprised that I took the image with something other than an IS lens from Canikon. Perhaps this is because they feel they must justify the many dollars they have spent on their lenses and bodies. I have a friend that owns a full frame Mark 3 Canon that owns over a dozen batteries for it! At least he talks to me.
Since I just bought my K-x and I was watching the prices of K-7,K-x,K-5,K-r I can say that the K-5 has dropped in price.

01-19-2011, 11:09 PM   #452
Veteran Member

Been to a Cash Converter where I saw a 70-210mm Cosina for about 10 €. Asked a sales assistant if it fits the Pentax K mount, he said yes. Next time I went there with my camera, it didn't fit. And the sales assistants there were confused as to what Pentax is. They didn't even know the brand! Oh my. I was only used to get confused looks that Pentax still exists in China, now here in Malaysia it seems even worse (though 2 cousins use Pentax, I think it spread from one of their friends who also uses a Pentax).
01-20-2011, 02:19 PM   #453
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
one of the reasons that makes Pentax rare are due to ignorance by commoners and magnified by strong advertising campaign by other brands.

I was having a Pentax transaction with a person recently, when suddenly a bum who should be minding his own business started to involve himself into the fray which was done right rude. we were just ignoring him and continued with our talk. then the bum suddenly said "you are better off with a Canon" then went his way. I think the bum was just there to annoy us, but I just can't believe even these dumb jerks are fooled into believing that brand would make you better. same analogy for car brands. point is, we are rare due to people's ignorance.
01-20-2011, 03:03 PM   #454
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New Pentax marketing slogan:

Pentax - We'll be your "adventure buddy".

And I still love the shared remark where the guy asks if the Pentax user got his K-x at Kmart. God that is a dis. Funny. But a good dis.

Last edited by Nowhere Matt; 01-20-2011 at 03:08 PM.
01-20-2011, 03:14 PM   #455
Inactive Account

Apparently you need to be stomping around through the snow in the middle of a blizzard to find pentaxians.

Other people's cameras probably weren't working
01-20-2011, 03:16 PM   #456
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
Apparently you need to be stomping around through the snow in the middle of a blizzard to find pentaxians.

Other people's cameras probably weren't working
You mean this roll of 35mm film I found is yours? The pictures are lurvely. I think I will make up a story about it.
01-20-2011, 05:19 PM   #457

Haha, I was watching Kaze No Stigma and there was a dude using Pantax. We may be rare in the real world, but it seems like we're popular in animated, lol.

01-20-2011, 10:41 PM   #458
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wouldn't be surprised if this has been mentioned before but I was watching an episode of Supernatural and they had a trusty spotmatic with a 35mm f/2 in once scene.
01-20-2011, 11:12 PM   #459
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I wouldn't be surprised if this has been mentioned before but I was watching an episode of Supernatural and they had a trusty spotmatic with a 35mm f/2 in once scene.
saw that episode. the flash used there was even a vintage flash one. totally retro.
01-21-2011, 07:55 AM   #460
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In all of this ignorance, I had the opposite reaction. When people see my K100D Super with the kit lens, lens hood and Sigma 530 flash, some think (and ask) it is an "exotic" (read really expensive) pro system. One time I was shooting some cars and I heard people talking behind me "I can't even imagine how many megapixels that thing must have..." just as I glanced the screen. I looked and smiled at them, but never told them the truth of 6 Mp.
01-21-2011, 12:36 PM   #461

QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
+2 That is an awesome quote.
Cant's say I agree though, I'm an amateur and the main thing I worry about is money.
01-21-2011, 02:22 PM   #462
Site Supporter

Perhaps there's hope yet. Last night I was talking to my son's future father-in-law and mentioned my Pentax camera. He's from the former Soviet Union and replied that Pentax makes good cameras, especially since any lens they've ever produced can still be used even on the latest equipment. I know he's been here in the US for a while now, but it was apparent his knowledge about Pentax preceded his coming here. Brought a smile to my face
01-21-2011, 11:35 PM   #463

QuoteOriginally posted by jamarley Quote
Perhaps there's hope yet. Last night I was talking to my son's future father-in-law and mentioned my Pentax camera. He's from the former Soviet Union and replied that Pentax makes good cameras, especially since any lens they've ever produced can still be used even on the latest equipment. I know he's been here in the US for a while now, but it was apparent his knowledge about Pentax preceded his coming here. Brought a smile to my face
Well, with the abundance of Russian pentax, I mean k mount glass on ebay, it's not surprising.
01-22-2011, 01:11 AM   #464
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Im the rarest of the rare in pentax land.... a 16 year old with a pentax using 90% film glass!
I am now 22 but I have been using Manual glass with my Nikons for about 2 years, about a year after I started pursuing photography, now I use a K20D with mostly manual lenses, yes we are rare...Indeed.

I never see anyone with Pentax...
01-22-2011, 01:17 AM   #465

Well. I'm still very wet behind ears Pentax K-r owner and I of course wanted to share my new hobby during lunch discussion. Quite surprisingly one of my workmates happens to own K-5. So I think I'm just lucky!