Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2017, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #4726
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Trey45 Quote
In my small camera club I am now the only Pentax user, we had one other but she moved. A new member was asking about DSLR's one meeting. She was shooting a point and shoot Canon of older vintage. I showed her my Pentax K-S2 that I had with me. She was VERY interested in it, the sensor size, the features, the weight, the articulated screen, the price of them was a key feature she was very attracted to. Others showed her their canikons and sony cameras, but she kept coming back to the Pentax! I thought for certain she was going to buy one for herself.

The next meeting we had she shows up with a Nikon. She couldn't find a Pentax at any store she went to, only canikons and Sony.
as you correctly note, it is very hard to go to a brick and mortar store or a box store and find Pentax equipment here in the US

if you are lucky, you might find "experienced" Pentax gear

so you are dependent on the internet and even if you are willing to try that route, you have " no hands " on experience

I know of only one way to cure that - Rentals

I have used LensRental.com which I believe is out of Tennessee to rent gear and get "hands on" experience before spending the big $$$$$. [ Bonus, sometimes those businesses will sell their "experienced" equipment and apply the rental fees to the purchase price ]

Perhaps we should start mentioning that option to those we meet who want to discover Pentax

05-31-2017, 09:44 AM - 2 Likes   #4727
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
Was the previous owner ashamed of being in the Pentax clan??? Or maybe they just got tired of explaining to people about Pentax, and no, it is not a new camera company!
I don't understand why one would feel ashamed of using a Pentax or an Olympus or any cameras of the smaller companies, hell I'm walking around with a Praktica L and nobody ever asked me about my camera or looked at me like I was an alien.

Note: Pentax for the people!!
06-02-2017, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #4728
Veteran Member

I saw another parent with a Pentax recently at my kids school (school play). I was shocked. I didn't think anyone in SoCal had a Pentax. I usually have to leave the country to see others.
06-02-2017, 05:43 PM   #4729

I don't preach to anyone on which camera I use.. But I shoot a Canon T3I and a Pentax K10D
I love to use all of my vintage manual lenses on either Body
Different windows on the world to enjoy

06-13-2017, 03:28 AM - 3 Likes   #4730
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I returned yesterday from our first trip to Gran Tetons and Yellowstone NP ( 11 days )

Toward the end of the long visit, a young man using a K 1 came up to me

the next day, a young lady using a Pentax K 50 came up to us as we were looking at some excited prong horns and pointed out the mountain goats we hadn't noticed up high.

in both cases we spent a few minutes talking Pentax and the set up I was using ( a K 3 + HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW mounted to a modified stedistock with a shotgun stock added for length ) and I mentioned the forums to each of them.
06-14-2017, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #4731
Veteran Member

Europe experience

In May, I was in the UK and Spain for a month. In one month of travelling, sometimes to extremely busy tourist areas (which I usually avoid), of the hundreds and hundreds of photographers I saw with DSLRs, not ONE was shooting Pentax. I did see two Pentax cameras, both film, one a 67 shooting Black and White in Spain, and a young lady with a K1000 around her neck more as a fashion item, I think, but that was IT.

Sad.

Pentax has great cameras, and lenses, but BOY have they got some marketing work to do.

SPORTS - Pentax, I've been yelling at you since the Z1P days - SPORTS!!! Get some cameras on the sidelines, for ****s sake.

Cheers,
Cameron
06-15-2017, 07:11 AM - 2 Likes   #4732
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Last Sunday I was at the beach and a guy I know who uses Nikon asked me why am I using Pentax. As I would normally say, one of the reason I chose Pentax is its weather sealing. Luckily he didn't have his camera with him. I would've washed my camera in front of him and invited him to wash his camera too. That would've been fun to watch.

Last edited by totsmuyco; 06-15-2017 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Grammar
06-15-2017, 07:22 AM - 1 Like   #4733
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Last Sunday I was at the beach and a guy I know who uses Nikon asked me why am I using Pentax. As I would normally say, one of the reason I chose Pentax is its weather sealing. Luckily he didn't have his camera with him. I would've washed my camera in front of him and invited him to wash his camera too. That would've been fun to watch.
now, now, why embarrass the guy

wait, a Nikon, go ahead embarrass him

ask if him if he got it at Best Buy or WalMart
06-15-2017, 08:06 AM   #4734
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Um, don't do that, Totsmuco, it's not waterproof.

06-15-2017, 11:36 AM - 2 Likes   #4735
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When are Pentaxians going to start asking Canikon why do they shoot Canikons? Then they may begin to understand how itʻs somewhat offensive. Or maybe they are asking out of insecurity or in their own search for something better?

Nikons from the 7000 series and up and the non-Rebel Tx Canons are also weather-sealed with pentaprisms and dual wheel controls. Other than IBIS and legacy lens compatibility, what sets most Pentax apart from Canikon is that you get the their mid-level camera features in the Pentax entry-level cameras AND WR kit lenses.

On a secondary level, because Pentax are not going to be found at 90% of brick & mortar stores, Pentax owners typically make a more deliberate decision to sacrifice convenience and popularity with a photographic tool they believe in.
06-15-2017, 04:12 PM - 1 Like   #4736
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I know the the D7000 and up and some Canons are weather sealed but, I don't think majority here are using canikon weather sealed lenses.
06-15-2017, 11:56 PM   #4737

We are that unique.
06-16-2017, 01:43 PM   #4738
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's what makes us special, I prefer to march to the beat of my own drum, that's why I use a Pentax white DSLR
07-03-2017, 07:12 AM - 3 Likes   #4739
Forum Member

Finally another Pentaxian!

Phew finally after 15 years I finally came across a fellow Pentaxian. I was out shooting the Canada Day Celebrations and the first photographer I encounter that day happened to be a fellow Pentaxian. So I took a photo could be a long time before I come across another Pentaxian.

Last edited by adsouza; 06-05-2018 at 05:26 AM.
07-04-2017, 08:42 AM   #4740
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is great!! I have two son's, my oldest brother, now all own and use Pentax DSLRs and about to get one of my grandson's involved.