Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2017, 02:10 PM   #4816
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I actively work to reduce the rarity :-)
on Saturday at the Farmer's Market young couple
seemed very interested in my Q7
finished up giving an advertorial for it...as I do

08-23-2017, 11:10 PM - 1 Like   #4817
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Truth be told, the two month trip through Germany, Slovenia, Hungary, Austria, Poland, France, England and Scotland was fun. Most of the time when I ran into these "instances" they were short and easily brushed off as people being people.

Another example of strange things people do with DSLR's is pop up the in-camera flash when standing in the public square in the middle of the day and blasting away. That and the "leaping tiger" stance to take pictures, (one foot back, the other foot forward and lean into the subject) just made my wife and I chuckle and walk away so we would not intrude on the photographers "moment" with laughter.

I came back with 5,964 images which I am now going through to see which ones will make it into my calendar for next year, posting to the Pentax Photo Gallery (if it really continues) and my National Geographic MyShot gallery.

We traveled between countries in Central Europe using the trains, 50 Euros for a 6 hour train trip for two people => cheap - in the US it costs $495 dollars one way from Seattle to San Francisco per person, used public transportation within the cities and walked on average 4.93 miles a day. The food was excellent and cheap as was the beer. The accommodations were all really nice - except for the airport motel we stayed at in Bordeaux France during our intra Europe flights. (We did not go into the city, we said at the airport and rented a car the first time and caught a early morning flight on the second night) We flew from Poland to France which was much cheaper than flying the same distance in the US. We (I) drove in France, England and Scotland. Lots of windy two lane roads through little villages, unfortunately no place to turn off and take pictures, type 2 fun.

On the whole it was an absolutely great trip and if I had the money I would do it over. Now that we have a little more experience, if/when we go back, we would make some changes, expand our range see a few things we missed, spend a little more time here and there. We will see what happens.

Here is a screen shot from LR of the places we were.
Ooh, in 3 weeks I will be making the opposite journey over to the US. 24 days travelling in California (although we'll be sneaking over the border into Nevada and Arizona). My K-S2 will be coming!

Glad you enjoyed your trip to the UK, some beautiful scenery especially up in Scotland.
08-25-2017, 01:49 PM   #4818
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sassinak Quote
Ooh, in 3 weeks I will be making the opposite journey over to the US. 24 days travelling in California (although we'll be sneaking over the border into Nevada and Arizona). My K-S2 will be coming!

Glad you enjoyed your trip to the UK, some beautiful scenery especially up in Scotland.
Twenty Four days in California is a good start. In my youth I spent vacations traveling from one obscure parent cousin/aunt/acquaintance resident to another. I have also spent another vacation sitting in the forests of Northern California and fishing, going to the beach north of San Francisco and driving down to LA on Highway One. All in all, California is big and now, as opposed to the 60's and 70's, crowded with cars.

In Europe we used Public Transportation to get around the cities or we walked. In California, speaking generally here, Public Transportation is pretty minimal getting around can be quite a hassle. However, to be honest, on our last trip to San Francisco we did use Public Transportation a few times to get from the rented apartment (three couples near the zoo) to the port.

If you are going to drive just be sure to remember which side of the road to drive on, get an automatic transmission, cars on the right have the right of way, roundabouts are counter clockwise and remember that the single digit salute could get you shot. Give the driver a rest once in a while so they can look around too. The best advice I can give is to take a day or two to just sit and soak it in. Remember to not tell "jokes" to the TSA and be ready to take your shoes off to get on an airplane.
08-25-2017, 02:10 PM   #4819
Pentaxian

Re vehicle transmissions - I have rarely driven auto-transmission vehicle and didn't "get on" with them. OTOH, I never seemed to have trouble driving Left Hand Drive vehicles with manual transmissions on the Right Hand Side of the road in Europe or the US. So don't necessarily get an auto transmission vehicle if you are the same as me as you then have to get used to both that and the sometimes-weird (at least to me ) US "Rules of the Road".

08-25-2017, 05:08 PM - 1 Like   #4820
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Trying to get a manual transmission in the US for a rental car is not really as easy as it was a decade or so ago. Most cars in the US are manufactured with "slush boxes" with manual transmissions becoming a add on option. Some new cars, all pretty pricy, are getting equipped with paddle shifters but those available from rental cars are the high performance machines (Hertz Shelby Mustangs and Dodge Challengers to name two that I am familiar with).

I hope you have a nice calm vacation without trauma. Enjoy yourself and ask for local brews. If you drink Blue Moon or other Coor's like Weasel p*ee I will disavow all knowledge of you

To quote, using my version, Max Klinger from M*A*S*H - "May your Scotch Whisky be neat, Your Beer (local craft) be cold and may your camels not spit.
08-25-2017, 07:53 PM   #4821
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was at the remote Ubirr rock art site in Kakadu National Park, Australia, a couple of days ago and spotted a Pentax DSLR in the hands of a European family....possibly German (?).

That is a very loooooong way from anywhere, and it is one of only a few Penatx DSLRs I have ever spotted in the wild. I hope they enjoyed their stay - it was quite warm out there, and decidedly non-European, being at the end of the dry season when everything is crunchy and dusty.
08-25-2017, 11:11 PM   #4822
Forum Member

If you are going to drive just be sure to remember which side of the road to drive on, get an automatic transmission, cars on the right have the right of way, roundabouts are counter clockwise and remember that the single digit salute could get you shot. Give the driver a rest once in a while so they can look around too. The best advice I can give is to take a day or two to just sit and soak it in. Remember to not tell "jokes" to the TSA and be ready to take your shoes off to get on an airplane.
Thanks for the driving advice, much appreciated! I'm the one driving and I must admit that first drive in LA is giving me the jitters a little. Once I've done that I will hopefully get my head around the differences.

I have requested a manual transmission as I like to drive a car - I'm looking forward to the challenge - and because I'm the driver I can stop when I want, mum is happy to go with the flow.

---------- Post added 08-25-17 at 11:20 PM ----------

Trying to get a manual transmission in the US for a rental car is not really as easy as it was a decade or so ago. Most cars in the US are manufactured with "slush boxes" with manual transmissions becoming a add on option. Some new cars, all pretty pricy, are getting equipped with paddle shifters but those available from rental cars are the high performance machines (Hertz Shelby Mustangs and Dodge Challengers to name two that I am familiar with).

I hope you have a nice calm vacation without trauma. Enjoy yourself and ask for local brews. If you drink Blue Moon or other Coor's like Weasel p*ee I will disavow all knowledge of you

To quote, using my version, Max Klinger from M*A*S*H - "May your Scotch Whisky be neat, Your Beer (local craft) be cold and may your camels not spit.
Don't worry I don't drink brewed AT ALL - fully aware of the reputation some of the American brands have in Europe. I'm much more into distilled drinks

08-27-2017, 08:02 AM - 3 Likes   #4823
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yesterday I'm in Yellowstone watching an Osprey nest.... A polite guy with a Nikon walks up and asks if I got any good shots. Then he takes a look at my camera and says with surprise " I haven't seen a Pentax...........in years". I agree with him that they aren't popular. He says very quietly "but they do make good cameras". Then he moves away - either to get a better location to shoot or maybe to get away from the crazy person.....
08-30-2017, 08:35 AM   #4824
Pentaxian

Don't worry I don't drink brewed AT ALL - fully aware of the reputation some of the American brands have in Europe. I'm much more into distilled drinks
Please don't give up on America beer!

Yes, the mainstream brands are horrible but there's a thriving craft beer community with 5,000 small breweries making a wide range of very interesting and tasty beers. California, in particular, has a lot of these breweries and many are brewing interesting variants of lagers, ales, IPAs, stouts, etc. using traditional yeasts, Belgian/Brettanomyces cultures, various strains of hops as well as creating new variants of less common styles (gose, sours, wittebeirs, etc.) or adding other flavors such Mammoth's Brewing's awesome IPA 395 (an imperial IPA with juniper berries and sage).

A good American brewpub will have dozens of taps with local beer and sell "beer flights" which consist of 4 to 6 small glasses (usually about 4 oz or 12 cl each) of whatever you choose. It's a great way to sample these beers.

Enjoy your trip!
08-30-2017, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #4825
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

acting as a docent today at the Topeka Zoo and Conservation Center I ran into a guy with a canon. I had my Pentax set up.

we talked a little and he stated he also had Pentax but not with him
08-30-2017, 12:03 PM   #4826
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Please don't give up on America beer!

Yes, the mainstream brands are horrible but there's a thriving craft beer community with 5,000 small breweries making a wide range of very interesting and tasty beers. California, in particular, has a lot of these breweries and many are brewing interesting variants of lagers, ales, IPAs, stouts, etc. using traditional yeasts, Belgian/Brettanomyces cultures, various strains of hops as well as creating new variants of less common styles (gose, sours, wittebeirs, etc.) or adding other flavors such Mammoth's Brewing's awesome IPA 395 (an imperial IPA with juniper berries and sage).

A good American brewpub will have dozens of taps with local beer and sell "beer flights" which consist of 4 to 6 small glasses (usually about 4 oz or 12 cl each) of whatever you choose. It's a great way to sample these beers.

Enjoy your trip!
Oh don't get me wrong I don't have anything against American beer specifically, I just don't like beer/ale of any sort - it makes me ill unfortunately

Give me a distilled beverage any day!
08-30-2017, 12:23 PM   #4827
Pentaxian

Oh don't get me wrong I don't have anything against American beer specifically, I just don't like beer/ale of any sort - it makes me ill unfortunately

Condolences! (I would suggest giving glutten-free beer a try to see if that's the issue but it's not that good.)

You might also look for craft distilleries which are also on the rise in America.

Have a great trip!
08-30-2017, 12:40 PM   #4828
Pentaxian

Distilled is sterile, so it shouldn't make me sick, still it does sometimes. Strange that...

A former colleague of mine can't drink scotch, because smoked food makes him sick. So I allways bring scotch with me when partying with him. 😃
08-30-2017, 12:56 PM   #4829
Forum Member

Thanks photoptimist, 2 weeks and counting! Now if I can just finalise my lens lineup ...
08-30-2017, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #4830
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
Distilled is sterile, so it shouldn't make me sick, still it does sometimes. Strange that...

A former colleague of mine can't drink scotch, because smoked food makes him sick. So I allways bring scotch with me when partying with him. 😃
reminds me of the joke I heard in college

" will you want a beer when you come over ? "

" sure, what kind do you have? "

" I have free beer, if you want anything special, bring enough to share "