Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2011, 02:41 PM   #481
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We're kinda rare around this neck of the woods. We had a visitor to our camera club this week who was shooting with a K7. Our membership folks put him in touch with me because I'm about the last Pentax guy left. He was complaining about Pentax not being carried in the local stores anymore.

01-26-2011, 02:45 PM   #482

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Pentax's Canadian marketing budget for the last 20+ years is reflected here (i'm dead serious I live in Canada's largest city and this is pretty much the only advertising I've seen besides one billboard that lasted about 56 weeks for the *ist ds
Actually, I just moved from Toronto last June and while living there was totally surprised at Pentax's presence (small yes.. but not too bad considering). I purchased my first 2 Pentax DSLR's from Futureshop of all places (K100DS and K200D) and always found the selection at Henry's downtown to be quite large. They usually stock everything and had a HUGE selection of old lenses as far as I could tell.

I used to see random ads all around the GTA. One that comes to mind is a Beer Store near Dundas and Jane has a Pentax ad in the parking lot actaully facing just the Beer Store. It's been there for years. I was always surprised by that one. Maybe they realize beer drinkers prefer Penatx?? I know I do.

Nice photo by the way. I used to notice that exact sign all the time coming south on the Don Valley "parking lot"..
01-26-2011, 04:40 PM   #483
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Seamripper Quote
Actually, I just moved from Toronto last June and while living there was totally surprised at Pentax's presence (small yes.. but not too bad considering). I purchased my first 2 Pentax DSLR's from Futureshop of all places (K100DS and K200D) and always found the selection at Henry's downtown to be quite large. They usually stock everything and had a HUGE selection of old lenses as far as I could tell.

I used to see random ads all around the GTA. One that comes to mind is a Beer Store near Dundas and Jane has a Pentax ad in the parking lot actaully facing just the Beer Store. It's been there for years. I was always surprised by that one. Maybe they realize beer drinkers prefer Penatx?? I know I do.

Nice photo by the way. I used to notice that exact sign all the time coming south on the Don Valley "parking lot"..
I guess I just don't get far enough afield

Future shop no longer carries pentax DSLR neither does Best Buy. I "borrowed" a K-x last year from Futureshop but it wasn't the right camera for me. If they had had the K7 and I borrowed it I likely would have kept it.
Henrys downtown seems to be mixed some days on Pentax, Last time I was in a staff member told me he though they might move pentax to the web only but since then the kr and k5 came out so I imagine they changed their minds at least at the flagship
Vistek had 2 lonely lenses on the shelf a week before christmas (they had sold everything else including their demos)

I run into Pentax shooters fairly regularly. I think having Ryerson here makes a difference

Oh and I live a couple of blocks from that billboard, have for over 20 years
01-26-2011, 05:43 PM   #484
Loyal Site Supporter

I just got back from 2 weeks in South East Asia (KL, HK and Bangkok) During my travels I saw countless Canon users, far fewer Nikonians and only one Pentax. In Chatajuk market BKK, in a hot, steamy crowded alleyway, I stumbled against a guy with either a K-5 or a K-7 slung over his shoulder. I gave him a smile, a big thumbs up, and held up my K-5. I got the smile of recognition and then he was gone.

On another day I was out shooting and saw this fella, he shot me, and I shot him. But at least I was holding the camera correctly. I wonder if Canon gives their customers advice as to how to use the product?

Attached Images

01-27-2011, 09:26 AM   #485

I met my first other "other pentax guy" there about 6 months ago. I wanted to hug him... Haven't met any since...
01-27-2011, 10:22 AM   #486
Forum Member

Been in Turkey for a week up til the 31st of december last year. The first time I see a Pentax dslr was on the 30th, on the courtyard of the blue mosque, and later that day I saw a guy shooting the exact same k-x as mine inside the grand bazaar. Everyone else was using canikons, olys and sonys. We're better than pana though, of which I see none (their non-interchangeables are plenty though).
01-27-2011, 11:24 AM   #487

The canikon people are victims of the marketing that is built into the pricing.
01-27-2011, 02:09 PM   #488
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
I just got back from 2 weeks in South East Asia (KL, HK and Bangkok) During my travels I saw countless Canon users, far fewer Nikonians and only one Pentax. In Chatajuk market BKK, in a hot, steamy crowded alleyway, I stumbled against a guy with either a K-5 or a K-7 slung over his shoulder. I gave him a smile, a big thumbs up, and held up my K-5. I got the smile of recognition and then he was gone.

On another day I was out shooting and saw this fella, he shot me, and I shot him. But at least I was holding the camera correctly. I wonder if Canon gives their customers advice as to how to use the product?
can't blame the fella for holding the lens that way. the regular canon lenses are heavy than the regular Pentax lenses. the guy might had gotten tired of holding the lens in an underhand position. I do this sometimes, especially with heavy lenses, to avoid straining my wrist.

01-27-2011, 08:39 PM   #489

I guess I just don't get far enough afield

I run into Pentax shooters fairly regularly. I think having Ryerson here makes a difference
Hmm. I'm a Rye High grad of 1972. Everyone in Photo Arts shot with Pentax in those days - and I'm pretty sure it was not optional. I can't remember what model was my first, but probably an ME or MEF. Maybe Ryerson IS why there is still a substantial Pentax family in Toronto. Oh yeah ... I still use the 50mm lens that came with that first Pentax. Until I just bought a 55mm Limited, that old 50 was the best glass in my bag.
01-27-2011, 11:56 PM   #490
Forum Member

I met another Pentax shooter at my son's Kinder the other day - he owns a K10, had a great conversation about all things photographic and he was pleased to meet another Pentaxian!
01-28-2011, 06:08 AM   #491
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sandilands Quote
Hmm. I'm a Rye High grad of 1972. Everyone in Photo Arts shot with Pentax in those days - and I'm pretty sure it was not optional. I can't remember what model was my first, but probably an ME or MEF. Maybe Ryerson IS why there is still a substantial Pentax family in Toronto. Oh yeah ... I still use the 50mm lens that came with that first Pentax. Until I just bought a 55mm Limited, that old 50 was the best glass in my bag.
It's also keeping the price of k1000s inflated i think
I looked at a Pentax 645 for sale on craigslist and sure enough it too was a Rye Hi student
01-28-2011, 06:48 AM   #492
Loyal Site Supporter

I looked at a Pentax 645 for sale on craigslist and sure enough it too was a Rye Hi student
Yeah, I've always felt that choosing Pentax was an intelligent decision. Ya know, not following the herd, taking that less traveled road, using the old noggin to decide rather than blindly going with whatever over-hyped marketing dictates... Now I see that the equipment is smart too; enough to graduate high school! Maybe it chose me!
01-28-2011, 07:12 AM   #493
Pentaxian

I was at Ryerson for a year and took the Pentax indoctrination course, so I'd fit right in. But, I also taught Photography for 15 years. The K-1000 for the whole time was the only serious manual film camera you could get. There's a whole generation of HS film students who owe their photo education to Pentax in the Toronto area. There was simply no other choice. And of course I knew a few of the other photo teachers in the area and all the film programs were based on the K-1000. I know from returning students that many of them bought Pentaxes as their own first camera. So in the Toronto area at least, Pentax had a market. Now that things are largely digital, I doubt schools are keeping those darkrooms open, and I have no idea what cameras they use. So moving forward, the future is uncertain. But in the Toronto area Pentax had the inside track in the education system for years. My co-teacher in my program did his Photography at Sheridan College. I always wondered how our students handled our cheap shots and jabs at each other, especially when they were choosing schools, although if I do say so myself, those jabs were often really funny.
01-28-2011, 07:30 AM   #494
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I was at Ryerson for a year and took the Pentax indoctrination course, so I'd fit right in. But, I also taught Photography for 15 years. The K-1000 for the whole time was the only serious manual film camera you could get. There's a whole generation of HS film students who owe their photo education to Pentax in the Toronto area. There was simply no other choice. And of course I knew a few of the other photo teachers in the area and all the film programs were based on the K-1000. I know from returning students that many of them bought Pentaxes as their own first camera. So in the Toronto area at least, Pentax had a market. Now that things are largely digital, I doubt schools are keeping those darkrooms open, and I have no idea what cameras they use. So moving forward, the future is uncertain. But in the Toronto area Pentax had the inside track in the education system for years. My co-teacher in my program did his Photography at Sheridan College. I always wondered how our students handled our cheap shots and jabs at each other, especially when they were choosing schools, although if I do say so myself, those jabs were often really funny.

Ryerson still offers a Film stream as an alternative. George brown shut down it's darkrooms a couple of years back. not sure about sheridan.
Toronto Imageworks offers a number of certificates based on the various Adobe products, but they also still rum darkroom based courses as well (and you can rent darkroom time once you prove some competence - rental darkroom space is also rapidly drying up though)
01-28-2011, 08:45 AM   #495
Pentaxian

I was talking more of the Highschools. A funny thing happened during the Harris years. The photography text we'd used in the Highschools for years, went out of print. I don't know if you guys know about Circular 14, but it's a list of text books approved for use in Ontario. Only those can be used to buy texts with Min ED funds. SO having it go out of print was a majour blow to high school photography in the province. At the same time Pentax stopped making the K-1000, the only camera most of us teachers found acceptable as the camera for our courses. I actually offered to write a new text for a friend of mine in the publishing industry , we played together at the same tennis club. What happened next though was the Ministry of Ed. looked at new text book offerings and found 3 chapters on Photography in a text entitled Communications Technology. So Photography was rolled into a super course called you guessed it Communications Technology,( I kid you not, the course was created because of one textbook publsihed by a known text book company) which included Web Publishing, Desktop Publishing, Drafting, Video recordong, Audio recording and of course photography. At the time I happened to be the Dept. Head for Technology and Art. So to keep my film program a full year, I pulled my grade 10 photography out of Technology and stuck it into the Art Department, allowing me to do a full year with the dark room and black and white. But under the art curriculum it could only run for one year. I used those students as the core to my Communications Technology courses in grades 11 and 12. And of course made that course mostly photography and a couple weeks of everything else.

But the photography text books for the film program, I was buying them with my own money at second hand stores and clear outs. We were also using slush funds to purchase used K-1000s as the board had a policy against purchasing second hand equipment. Keeping that program going was a part time job. So whenever you see a HS in Ontario with a photography program these days, you know there's a guy like me, who went through the wringer to keep it alive. The problem was never enrollment. HS students love photography. The problem was the logistics of keeping the course going in the face of an ambivalent culture in Adminsitration and regulation.

The good thing is now I have a pension and I can get out and shoot whenever the weather is good. From my years teaching I know many of the repair techs at Pentax in Mississauga, and have years of experience dealing with the company. I guess there are other camera makers out there, just not in my world.

Last edited by normhead; 01-28-2011 at 09:04 AM.