Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2017, 01:46 PM   #4966
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Unfortunately if Pentax stays unknown it won't be able to survive. They won't be able to maintain excellent camera prices as the fixed cost in producing cameras will be expensive considering low sales volume. Fixed cost to be absorbed per camera will be quite high.
An interesting opinion, but still, one man's opinion. I tend to stay away from untestable theories.

They aren't completely unknown...

12-05-2017, 02:18 PM   #4967
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Unfortunately if Pentax stays unknown it won't be able to survive. They won't be able to maintain excellent camera prices as the fixed cost in producing cameras will be expensive considering low sales volume. Fixed cost to be absorbed per camera will be quite high.
a " small " number of the people know the " secret " of Pentax

those " in the know "

Be in the know - Idioms by The Free Dictionary

can spread the word

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-05-2017 at 02:36 PM.
12-05-2017, 02:31 PM   #4968
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just to give a totally unscientific observation regarding Pentax/Ricoh gear in my part of the world ... (200 Km east of Québec City)

In 11 years since I've returned to photography (away from it for several years) and took up wildlife preference, happily "shooting" with Pentax gear (and nothing else), I have YET to see ONE single photographer with the rare gear we all use here.
People regularly come from as far as 500-600 Km's away to visit our nature preserves and parks, some from way farther than that during the high season but, again, no Pentax in view ... loads of those white lenses though.

Edit : my daughter who comes to visit from Calgary does use Pentax gear (thanks to me ! ) so my "observation" is a bit biased.
12-05-2017, 02:43 PM   #4969
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
Just seen the Exhibitors list for the March 2018 "The Photography Show" (the biggest in the UK) at the National Exhibition Centre ("NEC") in Birmingham In England - NO sign (YET, if ever?) of Ricoh/Pentax .
I'm in two minds about this. Last year I found the stand rather sad with the train set etc. Most footfall to the stand was, probably, from our lot and not newbies. Either be there and do it properly, Ricoh, or stay away - at least that's how I feel. (When I say 'properly' I'm not necessarily thinking big stand, but rather just niche and quality. After all that's what Pentax is now - niche and quality. No dad's old chuff chuffs, please.)

With my usual costs (petrol/parking) versus any savings from purchases mindset, with the lack of dealers likely to sell Pentax equipment and no need for any new gear, it's unlikely I can justify it. If Ricoh show up, I may change my mind as I could handle a few lenses ... Or maybe Pentax can do some wizzy, talks and demos, showing the gear but with no stand - think Pixel Shift, WR, SR, Astro, small primes, etc etc. (perhaps not video, though ;-) << that might work and would be cheaper ?????

12-05-2017, 03:10 PM   #4970
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Just to give a totally unscientific observation regarding Pentax/Ricoh gear in my part of the world ... (200 Km east of Québec City)

In 11 years since I've returned to photography (away from it for several years) and took up wildlife preference, happily "shooting" with Pentax gear (and nothing else), I have YET to see ONE single photographer with the rare gear we all use here.
People regularly come from as far as 500-600 Km's away to visit our nature preserves and parks, some from way farther than that during the high season but, again, no Pentax in view ... loads of those white lenses though.

Edit : my daughter who comes to visit from Calgary does use Pentax gear (thanks to me ! ) so my "observation" is a bit biased.
In Algonquin Park I have seen 4. One was a presenter at the winter celebration and he was talking to a crowd of mainly Canon and Nikon shooter about the "free button" It was embarrassing. I met up with jacamaronce, took Knock out on canoe trip, meet guy who was attending the annual photographer's dinner (since cancelled) and met the guy with a brand new K-1. 150-450 and 15-30 That's 5 in 9 years, not too too bad.
12-05-2017, 03:22 PM   #4971
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
In Algonquin Park I have seen 4. One was a presenter at the winter celebration and he was talking to a crowd of mainly Canon and Nikon shooter about the "free button" It was embarrassing. I met up with jacamaronce, took Knock out on canoe trip, meet guy who was attending the annual photographer's dinner (since cancelled) and met the guy with a brand new K-1. 150-450 and 15-30 That's 5 in 9 years, not too too bad.
OMG

I met two on my first and only trip to Yellowstone both young, one guy one gal on different days

and one at the Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha - older gentleman

I'm ahead of scale apparently

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-06-2017 at 05:08 AM.
12-05-2017, 04:48 PM   #4972
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That's true Clackers however, the prices will go up as I'm feeling right now here in Asia. Nikon cameras are now sold cheaper than Pentax. I thought that it was only here in the Philippines. However, I do not buy here because of some issues. I buy from Japan and I also found that Nikon cameras are also cheaper than Pentax. I now don't see the price advantage which Pentax gave me before. I guess Pentax is also feeling the decline in sales volume and therefor have to increase their prices to be profitable.

12-05-2017, 06:36 PM   #4973
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That's true Clackers however, the prices will go up as I'm feeling right now here in Asia. Nikon cameras are now sold cheaper than Pentax. I thought that it was only here in the Philippines. However, I do not buy here because of some issues. I buy from Japan and I also found that Nikon cameras are also cheaper than Pentax. I now don't see the price advantage which Pentax gave me before. I guess Pentax is also feeling the decline in sales volume and therefor have to increase their prices to be profitable.
Correct.

Nikon are facing a disastrous financial situation because they chased the low end so hard. Big job layoffs.

You look at the D5 and D500, they're *not* cheap.

12-05-2017, 07:13 PM   #4974
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
In Algonquin Park I have seen 4. One was a presenter at the winter celebration and he was talking to a crowd of mainly Canon and Nikon shooter about the "green button" It was embarrassing. I met up with jacamar once, took Knock out on canoe trip, met guy who was attending the annual photographer's dinner (since cancelled) and met the guy with a brand new K-1. 150-450 and 15-30 That's 5 in 9 years, not too too bad.
I have to amend this. When I moved here there was a retired building supervisor and friend of my ex-bother-in-law, who knew him from the Waterloo Photography Club. And his name was also Norman. He'd been up here photographing the park with a K-10D and his wife with a D*ist. He received some kind of arts grant to put on an exhibition at the visitor's centre that made him enough money to pay for all his gear. He told me he had 100,00 images of the park and thousands of unsold prints left over from his show. As he got older and his health deteriorated he moved back down south. We had an open invitation to dinner, but we never made it. So those two raise my total to 7 in nine years.

Since the other Norman lived here for 5 years, there has been a Norman photographing the park while living in Whitney for 14 years. Just not the same Norman. For a year there was two of us.

Norman's rule!

Last edited by normhead; 12-05-2017 at 07:21 PM.
12-05-2017, 07:15 PM   #4975
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Correct.

Nikon are facing a disastrous financial situation because they chased the low end so hard. Big job layoffs.

You look at the D5 and D500, they're *not* cheap.
If I'm not looking at the K-1, I can't look at either of them unless I want to carry tons of bricks in my bag.
12-05-2017, 08:50 PM   #4976
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

If I'm not looking at the K-1, I can't look at either of them unless I want to carry tons of bricks in my bag.
Sure, Totsmuyco, but we're talking about strategies for corporations in a declining market, and that can be very different from what an individual consumer wants.

You may not buy a $6000 1DX Mark II but Canon hope that some do.
12-05-2017, 10:23 PM   #4977

Ricoh seems content to cater to a small base (us), and doesnt seem to
want to go any further than that. Have any of you ever seen a Pentax commercial?
I dont think I have.
12-05-2017, 10:59 PM   #4978
Pentaxian

I wonder what the critical mass in the user base would be so that enough people would know someone with a Pentax to have an informed view of it? 3%, 5%, 10% of the total camera market? Once you get to that point, a product which speaks for itself can move ahead.

Also, with ore out there, the greater the chance of peole clubbing together to buy rarely used accessories and sharing them, on a mutual benefit basis.
12-06-2017, 04:19 AM   #4979
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeryst Quote
Ricoh seems content to cater to a small base (us), and doesnt seem to
want to go any further than that. Have any of you ever seen a Pentax commercial?
I dont think I have.
only a historical one from years past

I don't read photography magazines, are there any ads in those?
12-06-2017, 04:26 AM   #4980
Pentaxian

They've managed in exactly that situation since the dawn of digital SLR photography, over ten years ago.

I hope they don't get too big as if they do they might adopt Canon's model of charging far too much for poorly-built cameras with crap sensors just because people know the brand