Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2011, 09:00 AM   #496
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I didn't realise High Schools still had Photography (or dark rooms) When I was in school in the 70's of course it was common to have a darkroom (though at the private school I went to it was an extracurricular activity as was art) Spent a good part of my early teens in that darkroom though, and managed to find ways to roll it into other courses (Did a slide presentation on the Group of 7 shot on Kodachrome for my history class for instance some shot from originals the rest using an m42 bellows and a copy stand)

01-31-2011, 07:57 AM   #497

Didn't mean to hijack this thread for a walk through a walk through a memory lane at the Ryerson Quad (if it still exists). There still is a lesson there for Pentax. A simple SLR at a low price targeted towards students is what builds brand loyalty for life. I believe I make more technical errors today because my K7 has some incongruous default setting that I forget to change. Maybe there is no market, but it would be nice to see a digial SLR that records just DNG, allows adjustment of only aperture, shutter speed and sensitivity, and is kitted with a 37mm f/1.4 manual focus lens. Oh yeah, with a price tag of $299.
01-31-2011, 08:01 AM   #498
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sandilands Quote
Didn't mean to hijack this thread for a walk through a walk through a memory lane at the Ryerson Quad (if it still exists). There still is a lesson there for Pentax. A simple SLR at a low price targeted towards students is what builds brand loyalty for life. I believe I make more technical errors today because my K7 has some incongruous default setting that I forget to change. Maybe there is no market, but it would be nice to see a digial SLR that records just DNG, allows adjustment of only aperture, shutter speed and sensitivity, and is kitted with a 37mm f/1.4 manual focus lens. Oh yeah, with a price tag of $299.
I'd buy that camera myself
just for the lens

and the quad still exists
01-31-2011, 08:15 AM   #499
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
and the quad still exists
Alright.... now we need pictures. I haven't been there since 1967... (your assignment should you choose to accept it.) The dark room and studio when I was there were in the basement south east corner closest to Sams. , and part of the Quad... I know they were moved across the street a few years later.

01-31-2011, 08:24 AM   #500
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Back in nebraska my three other photography buddies all shot pentax's. My friend had a K10, one had a K10 and bought a K20 (he mostly does film these days), and the last one had a K200d and I still have my K20D.

What you shoot in photography is almost always dependent on what they person that got you into photography shot.

If you need a reason to shoot pentax ... aren't the limiteds enough?? I mean hell, even if you were going to primarily shoot canikon for some reason, its worth having a Pentax body if only for the 15, 21, 40 (DUH), and 70....
01-31-2011, 08:37 AM   #501
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
Are we really that sparse out in the world?
We are like snowflakes.
01-31-2011, 09:23 AM   #502
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Alright.... now we need pictures. I haven't been there since 1967... (your assignment should you choose to accept it.) The dark room and studio when I was there were in the basement south east corner closest to Sams. , and part of the Quad... I know they were moved across the street a few years later.
I walk through the quad occasionally on the way home, won't happen till this cold spell passes though
there is supposed to be a blizzard later today if it appears. could make the quad look nice, and after today i'm not tied to the 28mm like i was in January
As for the darkrooms i'm afraid I'd never find them (I imagine you heard Ryerson radio lost their broadcast license last week due to all the shenanigans with station management in the last couple of years - not sure how you run radio and television arts without the radio station)
01-31-2011, 01:18 PM   #503
Pentaxian

When I first was looking at getting a DSLR I was searching for a nikon, but I didn't like the feel. I thought if I was spending $800+ on a camera I would be buying something that didn't feel like a fisherprice toy.

My mom then said I should learn on her old film slr and see if I stuck with it. She gave me her old Pentax MX with the M 50 1.4, and a few other lenses. I was hooked. When I found out the K100D would take the old glass it was a no brainer.

I'm now 5+ years into the hobby and still using pentax. I've run into quite a few Pentaxians at various events. And its always been a blast sharing our Canikon tweaker experiences.

I even saw 5 of us on one train car in Summerland, BC Canada this past summer. 8 at the Edmonton Folk Fest, along with others throughout the years.

While rare, I love it. I just love to exchange that smile with other shooters.

Even the person who did our wedding photos had a K20D with 40mm DA limited on his hip to swap between with his Canon

02-01-2011, 02:29 AM   #504
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sandilands Quote
Dude, you are describing the sigma sd10. No jpeg, only pasm. Build like a tank, with an interesting viewfinder that would let you see what is outside of the frame, so you could wait for the right moment or compose more carefully. However it was pretty expensive (k5 sort of money). And accessories were a bit hard to find. The price dropped a lot though since no one wanted it, and I doubt beginners would be very happy with it. Oh, and the sensor only had like 3 mp when the competition had like 6. It was justas sharp though since its sensor had3 pixels stacked onto each other.
02-03-2011, 09:36 AM   #505
Veteran Member

Rare. I would say that we are very spread out not rare.

I have yet to met another Pentax shooter in my neck of the woods. However, I always find it interesting how the Pentax glass that comes into second hand shops are always picked up by none Pentax users. Really quite ironic. Why do those Canon users use our glass but yet purchase a Canon camera? It's definitely not for the auto focus speed because M42 lenses aren't auto anything.

However, I am happy to say that there is at least one more Pentax user in Toronto as my cousin is now a happy shutter bug. Hopefully, in the next little while my dad will purchase his Pentax and stop fiddling with my Km. Only so many times I can readjust the diopter for my eyes until I get really annoyed.
02-03-2011, 05:13 PM   #506
Forum Member

I met another Pentax shooter the other night with a K-7, he was very happy to have a chat and I met another member of this forum yesterday and he let me play with his new K-5 and his awesome array of lenses - I have serious camera and lens envy now.
02-07-2011, 09:15 AM   #507
Inactive Account

We can be kind of rare, but it's also why the Pentax community is strong.
When I see another Pentax camera owner taking pictures, I cannot continue my way without discuss a bit with him.
02-07-2011, 05:12 PM   #508
Pentaxian

Saw a guy using a pentax 67 with an M* 400mm f/4 ED on a pretty substantial tripod today. And there was the usual contingent of photographers who would point their cameras in the same direction he had his pointed...hehe.

Last edited by Digitalis; 02-07-2011 at 08:31 PM.
02-07-2011, 06:51 PM   #509
Veteran Member

About 3 years ago, I jointed to be a member of a Vietnamese forum site (just wanted to learn how to cook our traditional foods). There was a room for members post their pictures of anything . My first pic I posted in that room was a pic of a rose taken with my K-10D, then too many people questioned me which camera did I use to give out a beautiful picture like that, in the mean time there was a lady who posted most of the pics in that room, asked me what was the lens I used, I replied it was Pentax DFA 100mm Macro, then her next question was :- Is it a Canon lens ? ... Oh boy ! In her mind, Canon is the only one camera manufacturer in the world . When I answered it was Pentax, nobody knew what Pentax was, a totally strange name to them .

Now, after 3 years playing in that forum and I have posted too many pictures taken by K-10D and K-20D, one guy already bought my K-10D (he just wanted to buy mine K-10D, not the new one); and through my recommendations, 2 ladies bought the Kx with 2 lens kit, one lady bought a K-20D, and now there are 3 ladies waiting for the price drop of that awesome K-5 (one lady with the intent to replace her Nikon D3000). So I think Pentaxians soon will not be strangers anymore .
02-07-2011, 10:43 PM   #510
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just about a week ago I took a little one-hour hike with my family from the highway down to Emerald Bay at Lake Tahoe (not much snow on the ground at lake level!) and in that one hour I ran into two other Pentaxians. One K10D, one unknown (I saw it from the back in passing as the user was getting into a car), and of course I had my K20D on hand.

That's about the highest density I have ever run across, except for that one time I went to one of the K-7 roadshow presentations . . .