Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2018, 02:44 AM   #5206
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Picked up a visiting consultant at the airport - carrying a Pentax. When I commented on the brand he seemed almost apologetic and said - "work camera - gets the job done". Seems like his company knows value when they see it.

05-13-2018, 03:10 AM - 1 Like   #5207
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
well, if all things go well and the creek don't rise, I expect to see another person using a Pentax in the near future

more details to follow

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/43-travel-events-groups/365968-if-creek-...ml#post4279245

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-13-2018 at 05:55 AM.
06-10-2018, 05:12 AM   #5208
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sao Paulo, last Sunday. The camera is a K1000
06-10-2018, 05:12 AM - 2 Likes   #5209
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sao Paulo, last Sunday, 3 June. The camera is a K1000.( X-posted)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by jva59; 06-10-2018 at 05:19 AM.
06-10-2018, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #5210
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is a nice camera, I have one with a couple lenses. Haven't used it much for several years now since I bought two Pentax K-x DSLRs. Still a mighty fine camera and a real work horse, in my opinion.
06-10-2018, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #5211

A few months ago I fired up an old ME Super and took a roll of film, it was fun. I plan on taken it along with my on a NE/Canada cruise, just for fun.
06-11-2018, 03:33 AM   #5212
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rmalbers Quote
A few months ago I fired up an old ME Super and took a roll of film, it was fun. I plan on taken it along with my on a NE/Canada cruise, just for fun.
If you come to St. John's, Newfoundland, I'd be glad to take a pic of you with your old Pentax "in the wild"!

Last edited by jgnfld; 06-11-2018 at 03:43 AM.
06-11-2018, 03:43 AM   #5213
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by forestlight Quote
That was me! Nature wandering Pentaxian for life. Thanks for the delightful chat and further enabling my FA77 decision.
Welcome to the club. Melbournian Pentaxian.

---------- Post added 06-11-2018 at 03:48 AM ----------

Well I have just been to Japan and I think I saw 7 Pentaxes out in the wild. Definitely saw a KP and quite a few K1's. As a broad observation I think Canon and Nikon must be suffering quite a lot right now. The most common camera was probably a Sony A7 (and variants, they have so many models).

Interestingly I saw quite a few Olympus E-M10's (or E-M5's). You see a few Fuji's but surprisingly the one's I saw seem to be the non-evf camera's.
06-11-2018, 06:31 AM   #5214

With your comment you reminded me about my two analogue Pentax SLRs. They were first a Spotmatic F and after it was stolen, an ME (not Super). Both were fitted with their respective f/1.4 lenses. The ME I still have but it's broken (something in the electronics side). But the lens is fantastic. I have used it in my K-x and my K-3 with great results.

Enjoy,

Norberto
06-11-2018, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #5215

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
If you come to St. John's, Newfoundland, I'd be glad to take a pic of you with your old Pentax "in the wild"!
It looks like I'm be on the other side, Corner Brook but if you have any tips for me on great photo sites there I'm all ears! From what I've seen it looks like it's near a National Park but it also doesn't look like I will have to go far to find some outdoor beauty to photograph!

---------- Post added 06-11-18 at 08:54 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by trevinon Quote
With your comment you reminded me about my two analogue Pentax SLRs. They were first a Spotmatic F and after it was stolen, an ME (not Super). Both were fitted with their respective f/1.4 lenses. The ME I still have but it's broken (something in the electronics side). But the lens is fantastic. I have used it in my K-x and my K-3 with great results.

Enjoy,

Norberto
My brother and I both had ME's and only one of them works, the other one seems dead but one is all I need! Walking around with a film camera these days sort of makes a statement I think!
06-11-2018, 09:07 AM   #5216
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It looks like I'm be on the other side, Corner Brook but if you have any tips for me on great photo sites there I'm all ears! From what I've seen it looks like it's near a National Park but it also doesn't look like I will have to go far to find some outdoor beauty to photograph!

My brother and I both had ME's and only one of them works, the other one seems dead but one is all I need! Walking around with a film camera these days sort of makes a statement I think!
Look for a ME-Super. They're generally available at low prices on the used market. KEH is a generally good source. The winder is also very nice to have, and usually cheap.
06-11-2018, 09:36 AM   #5217
Loyal Site Supporter

If you are on a cruise, unless there is a weekend layover there just isn't time to do Gros Morne--which is a fantastically beautiful park, and I might add a UNESCO World Heritage site because of its importance in the discovery of plate tectonics. If the cruise line has arranged a helicopter tour, it will likely be very expensive, but the country there is truly spectacular. What ship are you on? Added: I see the QM2 is coming this year among others. I also see all ships are one day, daytime-only stops so Gros Morne is probably out unless by air.

Re. Corner Brook, don't miss the James Cook lookout for great views up the Bay of Islands in particular. (Cook spent several years mapping the coast up and down there early in his career.) Be sure to be ready to take pictures on your way up the Bay of Islands fiord to Corner Brook. I took some of the QE2 coming into Corner Brook once many years ago when it visited. The voyage up the fiord through the Bay of Islands is about 25 nautical miles (45 km). Depending on the light/weather it can be spectacular or dreary. When the QE2 came in it was late in the day near sunset and was both sunny and dreary which probably led to some great pics for those on board during moments of sun lighting the cloud/fog banks/land/sea/islands. Don't know what shore activities are planned, but if you need advice, PM me.

Last edited by jgnfld; 06-11-2018 at 09:45 AM.
06-11-2018, 09:55 AM   #5218

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
If you are on a cruise, unless there is a weekend layover there just isn't time to do Gros Morne--which is a fantastically beautiful park, and I might add a UNESCO World Heritage site because of its importance in the discovery of plate tectonics. If the cruise line has arranged a helicopter tour, it will likely be very expensive, but the country there is truly spectacular. What ship are you on? Added: I see the QM2 is coming this year among others. I also see all ships are one day, daytime-only stops so Gros Morne is probably out unless by air.

Re. Corner Brook, don't miss the James Cook lookout for great views up the Bay of Islands in particular. (Cook spent several years mapping the coast up and down there early in his career.) Be sure to be ready to take pictures on your way up the Bay of Islands fiord to Corner Brook. I took some of the QE2 coming into Corner Brook once many years ago when it visited. The voyage up the fiord through the Bay of Islands is about 25 nautical miles (45 km). Depending on the light/weather it can be spectacular or dreary. When the QE2 came in it was late in the day near sunset and was both sunny and dreary which probably led to some great pics for those on board during moments of sun lighting the cloud/fog banks/land/sea/islands. Don't know what shore activities are planned, but if you need advice, PM me.
Thanks for the info! That trip up the bay sounds great! Nothing planned yet, going in Sept., I might just PM you when I get closer to Sept!
06-12-2018, 12:01 AM - 1 Like   #5219
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Let's get back on topic, maybe?
06-12-2018, 03:41 AM   #5220
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K(s)evin Quote
Let's get back on topic, maybe?
Talking about decreasing the Pentax rarity in little Newfoundland is very much on topic!