Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2011, 10:08 AM   #526
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jboyde Quote
I see my biggest share of Pentaxians during the Sakura Festival in DC every spring, when the cherry blossoms come out. Mostly Asian and Eastern European tourists have them, but still outnumber by "Canikonians".
I had one older white lady with a Canon draped over her neck scoff at me using the K200. I walked away from her like a homeless guy begging for change! The issue of "brand arrogance" is stupid. I talked to a guy 2 weeks later with a Leica rangefinder and he was the most down to earth guy I've met, and I bet 3 of my and 4 of her cameras couldn't even TOUCH what he had to pay!
a lot of Leica guys also shoot Pentax just visit RFF. they are also big om series guys (form and function cameras in both cases like a leica)

02-11-2011, 12:01 PM   #527
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JJSk10d Quote
For me I really let the camera do the talking. Of course with camera's that are in the same range as my k10d, like the D80 and the XTi... People bad mouth Pentax where I am at, until they see some of my photography. Then they use the lens excuse. "Well we have more choices when it comes to lenses" I just shrug them off and continue shooting.lol
Heehee. I'd just say, 'Well, when you know what you need, you only need a few of em.' Hey, Pentax makes the *right* lenses for me.'

(Not that I *have* all of those, but that'd be the same wherever I went: at least these FA Limiteds and others *exist. *
02-11-2011, 01:51 PM   #528

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Heehee. I'd just say, 'Well, when you know what you need, you only need a few of em.' Hey, Pentax makes the *right* lenses for me.'

(Not that I *have* all of those, but that'd be the same wherever I went: at least these FA Limiteds and others *exist. *

Hahahaha I am defiantly using that when my friend starts bad mouthing Pentax again.
02-11-2011, 02:32 PM   #529

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Or as Mr. Scanlon my studio teacher used to say.. find a lens you like and buy the body that goes with it. If you would have been talking about some great Nikon glass that you loved to death, that would have made my heart warm.. Canon or Nikon or whatever
So true. My instructor told me a camera is nothing but a box with a hole in one end, and a film holder in the other. My dedication to Pentax over 35+ years is because of its glass and the backwards compatability thereof.

IMHO the ONLY significant change to that advice today is sensor "quality". We used to have a lot of choice in our "sensor" (the wide variety of film characteristics). Now we no longer can make that choice as easily, and were stuck with it unless we are willing to throw our all our babies with the bathwater. I am not a film bigot or DSLR luddite, but unless Pentax really screws up in the sensor arena (and they are dangerously close with my K7), my glass will keep me loyal.

If Pentax is to survive I hope they check out their roots, and outcompete Canikon again with the components of the optical path. Everything else is fluff. IMHO Pentax' possible demise won't be at the hands of Canon or Nikon, who still dont't get it, but by Sony who I think does.

Simply put, "It's the light stupid."

02-11-2011, 05:51 PM   #530
Loyal Site Supporter

really i actually like my k7 after several years with a k10. the 10 has modest low iso advantage, but in general i prefer th 7
i never shot a k20 though so YMMV
i still want a k5 but i will wait a year or so (unless refurbs show up by the ton at cheap prices)
02-11-2011, 05:52 PM   #531
Loyal Site Supporter

and I think you are wrong on Sony, after close to 3 decades of dealing with them I'm not sure they actually get anything
02-12-2011, 09:38 AM   #532
Pentaxian

The whole features vs. quality debate happens in every arena, and it's really about priorities. Individuals have their own reasons for buying the camera they buy and they undoubtedly faulted the brand they did not buy for some reason. Maybe Dapeek bought a Nikon because he didn't like the video recording features of the Pentax competitor. Maybe someone else bought a Pentax because they could get it in bright red, but they couldn't get the Nikon in any color but black. Is anyone wrong for buying what they bought? No. They're just different priorities.

If I heard someone badmouth Nikon because you can't get their SLRs in fun colors, that would not sway me because it's not my priority. Hearing someone badmouth Pentax because they don't have enough video controls doesn't sway me either. I've used the video feature of my K-x once in the 7 months I've had it. But I had a co-worker who bought a Canon 7D specifically because of its video features.

One thing that frustrates me about Pentax is the cost of new lenses. From memory, with a Nikon or Canon I could get a 50mm f1.4 autofocus for $200. The Pentax equivalent (and let's not fuss over whether or not it's precisely equivalent) is about $400. Pentax needs to work on increasing their market share, which will facilitate a cost reduction in lens manufacturing, which will help to increase market share, etc. And they are working on it. But being number 4 is tough. Like Avis, they need to work harder.
02-12-2011, 03:39 PM   #533
Forum Member

If the k5 focused right I wouldn't mind being the underdog with a pentax in a sea of canikons. As it is, I am trying the d7000 but only for the features (similar to k5) without the issues. It will be a while before I sell my pentax gear (the limiters at least) because it wouldn't surprise me if pentax comes back with another hit the next time around ( like the kx that I currently own).

02-13-2011, 12:38 PM   #534

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
really i actually like my k7 after several years with a k10. the 10 has modest low iso advantage, but in general i prefer th 7
i never shot a k20 though so YMMV
i still want a k5 but i will wait a year or so (unless refurbs show up by the ton at cheap prices)
My beef with the K7 is noise. I don't like it at ISO 100, and although I expect it, I don't like it at ISO 6400. A Pentax rep tried to tell me that although the K7 sensor is inherently noisier that competitors, there is less downstream noise in the electronics. Well I don't care where it comes from, if it's on the memory card that slides into my computer for post processing I don't like it. And I don't think it stacks up competitively.

So to my point, if Pentax is to remain relevant, it should focus on the optical path, and not the bells and whistles. It is optics that have kept me loyal, it has been Pentax' strength in the past, and it's where they have to outcompete.

Re Sony ... The "get it right" part is their superior integration of glass and electronics. The wrong part is the corporate mindset that they can force the world to adopt their proprietary "standards" - and charge huge licensing fees. At that hasn't changed since BetaMax.
02-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #535
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sandilands Quote
My beef with the K7 is noise. I don't like it at ISO 100, and although I expect it, I don't like it at ISO 6400. A Pentax rep tried to tell me that although the K7 sensor is inherently noisier that competitors, there is less downstream noise in the electronics. Well I don't care where it comes from, if it's on the memory card that slides into my computer for post processing I don't like it. And I don't think it stacks up competitively.
I don't care for noise myself, and I have a "noisy" camera. However, I want to be the one who decides how much detail to lose with the noise. I turn off any noise reduction that I can. Post processing a noisy image is really not all that time consuming compared to trying to print a blurry image.
02-15-2011, 01:55 AM   #536
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tbirdas Quote
If the k5 focused right I wouldn't mind being the underdog with a pentax in a sea of canikons. As it is, I am trying the d7000 but only for the features (similar to k5) without the issues. It will be a while before I sell my pentax gear (the limiters at least) because it wouldn't surprise me if pentax comes back with another hit the next time around ( like the kx that I currently own).
Don't lay out some dollars on the D7000 until you are satisfied that the D7000 issues aren't worse than the K5. (including hot pixels, and the dreaded low-light focussing)
02-16-2011, 12:55 PM   #537

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Don't lay out some dollars on the D7000 until you are satisfied that the D7000 issues aren't worse than the K5. (including hot pixels, and the dreaded low-light focussing)
+1

spec for spec the K5 has it all over the D7000. The first firmware update already addressed some of the bigger issues with the K5. Hopefully Pentax will issue a couple more AND do something about the price gap.

Pop Photo compared the K5 only against the Olympus E5 because of the pricing. I guess the E5 is in the same competitive space, but I think Pentax was targeting the D7000 and Canon 60D, not necessarily the E5.

But to get back on topic, "How rare are we?"...

If you shoot Pentax and live in the Niagara area (either side of the river, say from Hamilton to Rochester) make yourself known here. Maybe we can have a Pentax-a-thon.
02-16-2011, 05:41 PM   #538
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Designosophy Quote
One thing that frustrates me about Pentax is the cost of new lenses. From memory, with a Nikon or Canon I could get a 50mm f1.4 autofocus for $200. The Pentax equivalent (and let's not fuss over whether or not it's precisely equivalent) is about $400.
Your memory is off... these are from B&H...
Pentax isn't significantly more expensive.

The Pentax FA 50mm f/1.4 is currently US$360,
The very old Nikon 50mm f/1.4D is US$330
The latest Nikon 50mm f/1.4G is US$435
The Canon 50mm f/1.4 is US$379
02-20-2011, 12:03 AM   #539

I shoot high school football from the sidelines,and Iam the only one shooting Pentax. The others are Canon,and Nikon, mostly Canon. Before I shot with Pentax I used Ricoh a XR10 and a KR5 super2. During the time I shot with Ricoh I only met one other photogarpher using Ricoh.
02-20-2011, 02:15 AM   #540
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I have yet to run across another Pentax shooter in Chicago, let alone a shop that even sells them. If there are any in Chicago lets meet and shoot