Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2019, 11:16 AM   #5401
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Someone somewhere obviously using Pentax for their studio shoots, captured from Amazon

03-24-2019, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #5402
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Go to elementary school Christmas programs. At least at mine, which I imagine to be typical, there are usually 6-8 dedicated cameras among the several hundred parents. Split pretty evenly between ILCs and bridge cameras. Almost always Canons and Nikons, except me. Also a handful of point-and-shoots. Of course there are a lot more people trying to digitally zoom with their iPhones in the bad lighting.
Twenty years ago, when our daughters were in school, essentially the same thing was true, except that most of the parents were firing away from a hundred feet or more, and when they got the film back from the developer they probably cursed the bald guy ahead of them because the back of his head was the only thing lit up by the camera's weak On Board Flash {I had a Vivitar 285 paired with my telephoto zoom lens and got some reasonable photos}
03-24-2019, 08:22 PM - 1 Like   #5403
Veteran Member

A common theme reared it's head this week, I have a new neighbour in the office. He sits at the desk next to me, and upon finding out that I had an interest in photography he mentioned that he had a similar hobby.

It was going well until he asked the age old "So, Canon or Nikon?" question......
03-25-2019, 05:34 AM   #5404
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Someone somewhere obviously using Pentax for their studio shoots, captured from Amazon
Who puts their camera in a bag with the lens facing upwards???

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
A common theme reared it's head this week, I have a new neighbour in the office. He sits at the desk next to me, and upon finding out that I had an interest in photography he mentioned that he had a similar hobby.

It was going well until he asked the age old "So, Canon or Nikon?" question......
Shame.

03-25-2019, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #5405
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote

for the majority of the great unwashed rabble that is all they know...the power of market share and bulk displays at costco

03-25-2019, 08:49 AM   #5406
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Mea Culpa
03-25-2019, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #5407
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
A Pentax shooter who wants the world to know he shoots Pentax?

But I did have the same thought.

03-25-2019, 10:53 AM   #5408

This thread makes me worry for the future of Pentax...
03-25-2019, 11:38 AM - 1 Like   #5409
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by elephantswillforget Quote
This thread makes me worry for the future of Pentax...
There should be disclaimer, "Not for the faint of heart."
03-25-2019, 01:18 PM - 4 Likes   #5410
Pentaxian

The canon or nikon question reminds me of years gone by here in the state's where you could ask what beer was available and they would proclaim, "We have both kinds, Bud and Bud light." Both deserve the same eye roll.
03-25-2019, 01:58 PM   #5411
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
A chap came into the local museum sporting a K-S2, with a sigma zoom, I think it unfortunate that the camera shops push the sigma lenses in place of the Pentax lenses. Rarely see a Pentax anything around here.
A "bit late" (!) to reply, I know - but, as longtime Sigma user, I think you have the wrong idea of how bad/GOOD many Sigma lense actually are (OK, the superzooms and some of the very old 28-70s, are often c**p!) ! Look for good reviews thereof, and you will almost certainly find one or two that could "blow your mind" - but not your bank balance! - in terms of image quality and general "usability".

---------- Post added 03-25-19 at 09:20 PM ----------

@Thorsanchez

Can't find your post about iPhones, but I had to point out the same "digital zoom" issue to the local U3A Digital Photo Group to which I gave an "Event Shooting" presentation this afternoon - and, I think, some of them "got it"

PS: most of my Pentax + (mainly!) Sigma shots got a pretty good reception.
03-25-2019, 05:42 PM   #5412
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
A "bit late" (!) to reply, I know - but, as longtime Sigma user, I think you have the wrong idea of how bad/GOOD many Sigma lense actually are (OK, the superzooms and some of the very old 28-70s, are often c**p!) ! Look for good reviews thereof, and you will almost certainly find one or two that could "blow your mind" - but not your bank balance! - in terms of image quality and general "usability".

---------- Post added 03-25-19 at 09:20 PM ----------

@Thorsanchez

Can't find your post about iPhones, but I had to point out the same "digital zoom" issue to the local U3A Digital Photo Group to which I gave an "Event Shooting" presentation this afternoon - and, I think, some of them "got it"

PS: most of my Pentax + (mainly!) Sigma shots got a pretty good reception.
My problem with Sigma is the 50/50 thing. My Sigma 70 macro and 8-16 are keepers. I've given two away that were no longer within spec and couldn't be repaired. And most of what is coming out now is not being released for Pentax so it's moot. And honestly, following Sigma for years, I'm a little puzzled at the blow your mind comment. Every comparison I've seen has shown there is a Pentax that's better. It remains a line that is a low cost, fewer features option. With so many of the better Pentax lenses being WR, most Sigma lenses don't even compete on that front. I have seen comparisons of the 31 and Sigma 30 1.4 art, where you might consider the Sigma better at 1.4, worse at 1.8 and lower, with huge cost in weight (but not price). It remains an option for folks who want cheaper, not better.

I love my Sigma 70 macro, but it barely gets used since I bought my DFA 100 macro. The Pentax is lighter and WR. For me a more useful lens. But the Sigma did get me into macro, when the Pentax was out of reach price wise. It's not anymore.

Last edited by normhead; 03-26-2019 at 06:08 PM.
03-25-2019, 06:19 PM - 1 Like   #5413
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm catching up and finding the information provided useful. I can see that I'm going to have to do some research before purchasing additional lenses. Being a retiree I have the time. So, I'm hopeful that over time my lens acquisitions will be good choices. The why's and wherefore's are everywhere in camera and lens discussions. As for Pentax, they do seem to have an intelligence in their leadership and I'm sure they have their ducks and alternative ducks in order.
03-25-2019, 08:13 PM   #5414
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
I think you have the wrong idea of how bad/GOOD many Sigma
No sorry, don't like what I see, I also don't like what the lenses look like, wouldn't touch sigma with a forty foot barge pole
03-25-2019, 09:05 PM   #5415
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
No sorry, don't like what I see, I also don't like what the lenses look like, wouldn't touch sigma with a forty foot barge pole
Back when I was a Canon user, the only non-Canon lens in my bag was a Sigma 10-20mm.
Today, the only non-Pentax lens in my bag is a Sigma 10-20mm.