Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2019, 11:46 PM   #5461
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
From today's outing.

The man on the left used to shoot Pentax back in film days. He bought a film Pentax took it out in winter and it wouldn't work. He sat in his car for 10 minutes, it worked fine, went back out to take a picture. Within 5 minutes it wouldn't work again. He was so mad he sold all his Pentax gear and went Nikon (I think an F3.. HIs son on the left has never known anything else. He was really happy to look over my gear, but is now completely set in his Nikon ways.
We've got a new forum member from Vietnam who's shot Nikon for fifteen years, just got himself a K-1 and the FA31/77 Limiteds.

04-29-2019, 05:43 AM   #5462
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
We've got a new forum member from Vietnam who's shot Nikon for fifteen years, just got himself a K-1 and the FA31/77 Limiteds.
This guy above follows Pentax, was happy to see my K-1. But made it clear, he's been with NIkon long enough he wouldn't switch back. It's a revolving door, people come, people go. I can't remember what model he had that wouldn't work in the cold, but Pentax seems much more careful about those kinds of things these days.

Last edited by normhead; 04-29-2019 at 06:59 AM.
04-30-2019, 01:46 AM   #5463
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
My friend made it look so easy on his Fuji. Darn, he had me fooled. :
The newer Fujis can be set to upload images to a phone/tablet straight away or when the camera is turned off (it transfers the images before fully powering down). For quick social media use they can also transfer a down-sized 3MP version which transfers very quickly.

My Fujis require wifi transfers to be done manually but it's pretty quick, certainly for my needs.

In my K-3 I use a Toshiba FlashAir card and it also works well but requires me to manually tell it what to transfer.
05-02-2019, 04:19 AM   #5464
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
The newer Fujis can be set to upload images to a phone/tablet straight away or when the camera is turned off (it transfers the images before fully powering down). For quick social media use they can also transfer a down-sized 3MP version which transfers very quickly.

My Fujis require wifi transfers to be done manually but it's pretty quick, certainly for my needs.

In my K-3 I use a Toshiba FlashAir card and it also works well but requires me to manually tell it what to transfer.
Hmmm. I'll try and read more about this card you're using. Thanks.

05-05-2019, 07:34 AM   #5465
Pentaxian

Yesterday, in the centre of Segovia, I saw a gentleman with a Pentax DLSR, I think a K-5 or K-3. He was using it with a Sigma 70-300mm.
05-11-2019, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #5466
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Are we really THAT rare?

We Highland Scots are... as we start off Blue when in the sunshine before we go Red.
05-11-2019, 04:49 PM   #5467
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
We Highland Scots are... as we start off Blue when in the sunshine before we go Red.
As a Scot who moved to sunnier climes, it took me a year or two got get to white from my natural colour of pale blue.....

05-12-2019, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #5468
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I am not alone in my neighborhood: I managed 2 workshop (kind of) in the community center a few years ago. I used pentax cameras (k20d and k7) in the classes. At least 5 of them bought Pentax after .
05-12-2019, 09:10 AM - 1 Like   #5469
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
As a Scot who moved to sunnier climes, it took me a year or two got get to white from my natural colour of pale blue.....
Guid fur ye, sae whit yer saying is, we cannae plook ye oan th' beach.
05-12-2019, 09:17 AM - 1 Like   #5470
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just came away from Eilean Donan castle in the West Highlands of Scotland. The English tourists were predominantly using Nikons, the American tourists tended to use Canons, the several Japanese tourists were using Sonys. What sounded like a Russian lady had a Leica, someone else had a FujiFilm - and there was me with my K-3II! But then I had the 20-40 on, so I didn’t suffer at all in comparison! 🤣
05-12-2019, 01:43 PM   #5471
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Just came away from Eilean Donan castle in the West Highlands of Scotland
Well you had a cracking day today to visit.

My K1s and the Harem, were "oot and aboot" around Drumnadrochit in the woods with the Bluebells today.

No other people in sight, let alone cameras.
05-13-2019, 01:05 AM - 1 Like   #5472
Pentaxian

I know the feeling. Everyone over here in Spain had a laugh when I went to Cardiff for a stag weekend last summer and came back with a tan. The weather in Cardiff was perfect - sunny but not too warm, so we were outside most of the time, whereas in Spain it's usually sunny and too hot, so I hide away indoors or in the shade.
05-13-2019, 02:38 AM - 1 Like   #5473
Veteran Member

Guid fur ye, sae whit yer saying is, we cannae plook ye oan th' beach.
If you know anything about lasers, they are classified in four categories. Class 1 is eye and skin safe, class 4 is invisible, powerful and will make you blind.

My legs are class 2, your natural blink reflex will cut down on the glare but if you stare at them for too long you will damage your corneas.....
05-15-2019, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #5474
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

My legs are class 2, your natural blink reflex will cut down on the glare but if you stare at them for too long you will damage your corneas.....
One feels compelled to ask the question... was the move to "down under", a good move for a somewhat Blue Scot?
05-17-2019, 03:14 AM - 2 Likes   #5475
Veteran Member

One feels compelled to ask the question... was the move to "down under", a good move for a somewhat Blue Scot?
I had originally intended to move to "Scotland South" or New Zealand as it is commonly referred to, but ended up next door. It was a bit of a culture shock, temperatures in excess of 20 degrees for days on end and a sky of blue rather than grey. It took a while to get used to, an ex-pat Scots colleague and I were found standing in the car park last week enjoying the drizzle and bemoaning that it was a rare occurrence.

I like to think I am doing missionary work, spreading the good word of Haggis, Tunnocks caramel wafers, mince tatties and skirlie and the Doric tongue.....