Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2019, 07:26 AM - 3 Likes   #5626
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kingman Quote
It is somewhat depressing to see the Pentax marketshare having it heights with the Spotmatics and the K1000 over the years to fall to its current low single digit marketshare. It's virtually a "cult" following. Many would say with such a small marketshare, it should not deserve to stay in existence unless it is highly profitable (such as Leica). I've been loyal to Pentax for over 50 years and now worry about the future.
Go out and take some pictures. You're overthinking things.

10-01-2019, 09:42 AM   #5627
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I wish we'd have another World Pentax Day this 100th year. Maybe it should be on a Saturday. Maybe then I can meet one of the four or five Pentax guys here in Iloilo.
I need to update my location on the user map. The closest user before was 121 km away. Now there are 7 around me.
Of course in New Orleans I saw cameras every day. Only 1 pentax. So far I haven't seen a dedicated camera but I am not in a tourist town anymore.
10-01-2019, 12:12 PM   #5628
Forum Member

3 weeks in Europe last spring including Pompeii, Rome and Paris. Cameras everywhere - the only Pentax I saw was my own. The last time I saw a Pentax while travelling was at the San Diego Zoo, in 2013.

But I don't really care
10-01-2019, 02:32 PM   #5629
Pentaxian

A new college semester has started so I'll be keeping an eye out for any other Pentax shooters here. I saw two people with entry level Nikons recently but that's about it. I'm surprised I haven't seen more Canons but I haven't been able to walk around much. Had to take up a psuedo-residency in the library.

10-01-2019, 02:46 PM   #5630
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Going to Cadiz in a couple of weeks. I am yet to see a Pentax on my travels so don't expect any sightings.
10-01-2019, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #5631

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Going to Cadiz in a couple of weeks. I am yet to see a Pentax on my travels so don't expect any sightings.
If you ever come around Terrassa (Barcelona) theres at least three Pentax cameras near you :P
10-01-2019, 05:20 PM   #5632

I got excited seeing someone carrying a Pentax camera around in Sydney a few months ago. It's a rare sight here, so it was really nice seeing another one of us!

10-01-2019, 09:05 PM   #5633

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Go out and take some pictures. You're overthinking things.
I do weekly!
10-01-2019, 09:23 PM - 2 Likes   #5634
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I just made a new Pentaxian by selling my K1000 and lenses and stuff to a person getting into film photography.
Go out and make one yourself.
10-01-2019, 09:33 PM   #5635
Veteran Member

I haven't seen anyone with Pentax in two years. Just my equipment.
10-01-2019, 09:49 PM   #5636
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
I just made a new Pentaxian by selling my K1000 and lenses and stuff to a person getting into film photography.
Go out and make one yourself.
I may have made someone into a Pentaxian by highly recommending a K-70, KP and some lenses to somebody on Reddit. Not selling them that stuff, just recommending they take a good look at upgrading to it from a much older Canon.
10-01-2019, 10:17 PM - 4 Likes   #5637
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Pentax in the wild,I almost got excited I spotted one reflected in a shop window alas when I turned to see it was only me
10-01-2019, 10:53 PM   #5638
Veteran Member

I would say, The brand is definitely not rare in Japan. Everyone seems to know the brand. but I can feel seeing a lot fewer people using the camera compare to 5 years ago.

As for People outside of Japan I meet over the year;
When I just start a small weekend Photo-tour, I thought I would eventually meet an international Pentax user. +150 people later (not a Japanese, not a foreigner live in Japan), I meet ZERO international Pentax shooter. More than often, the first Pentax they have ever seen in action is my camera. So for all major brands which still actively make FF, APSC or 4/3 body, I have not yet meet Pentax, and... Sigma (if they still make a camera).
10-02-2019, 12:11 AM - 1 Like   #5639
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CapitanXeon Quote
If you ever come around Terrassa (Barcelona) theres at least three Pentax cameras near you :P
Three? Time for a revisit! I LOVE Barcelona
10-02-2019, 12:28 AM - 2 Likes   #5640
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
No distributor likes to carry stock, Roaming. They would rather respond to an order by making the customer wait than have unsold product ready to go ... dollars sit on a shelf not appreciating in value and they can be burnt by currency movements.

It's similar to the retail stores. They don't have Pentax in their shop but truth is any of them can order one in for you from Pentax Australia. They simply can't purchase a shop model 645Z and have it sit there for a year without a buyer.

This is nothing against you personally it's just business.
But this does make me wonder about the reason why the distributors and retailers are still in between? Taking a margin whilst providing hardly any added value at all. Couldn't pentax go for direct distribution and then contract repair centers (which they already have contracted because at least in the Netherlands no camera shop can even do service itself) for service etc? Given that they rely mostly on word of mouth and direct advertising, it makes good sense to cut out the middlemen and split that savings between the producer and the consumer.

That being said: I haven't seen a single other pentaxian in the Netherlands. The camera store I go to does stock Pentax, but tucked away in a dark corner, nothing even remotely like the way the other brands are displayed.