Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2019, 05:46 AM - 3 Likes   #5656
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Taking photos in the rain while all the CaNikony crew hide their gear away is one of the little pleasures that Pentax brings
Indeed!

It's nice when the forecast says rain with a 80% chance of Pentax.

10-03-2019, 05:56 AM   #5657
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Weather sealing is one of the common grounds why we chose Pentax. I just love rugged gears. It makes me feel comfortable that my equipment will work when needed. Reliability is a must.
10-03-2019, 12:32 PM   #5658
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Weather sealing is one of the common grounds why we chose Pentax. I just love rugged gears. It makes me feel comfortable that my equipment will work when needed. Reliability is a must.
That's also one reason why I went with Pentax. Well... Sort of... Mostly because of how often I accidentally drop stuff and have "accidents" with various personal equipment. I fell on a concrete pier at a beach a few months ago with camera in hand. Broke my watch crystal. Camera wasn't barely phased.
10-03-2019, 01:56 PM   #5659
Pentaxian

In the last couple of months I've been to Crater Lake NP, Lassen Volcanic NP, Glacier NP, Yellowstone NP, and Grand Tetons NP. I saw what I believe was a K-70 in Yellowstone and either a 645D or 645Z on the Hidden Lake trail in Glacier NP.

The most common cameras I saw were Nikon and Canon APS-C DSLRs. The DSLR still dominates in landscape photography. Didn't see any Sony, Canon, or Nikon FF mirrorless at Crater Lake, Lassen, or Glacier. Did see a few Sony FFs at Yellowstone, but Canon and NIkon FF DSLRs were more common. Also, despite the ubiquity of cell phone cameras, I'm still seeing quite a few compact cameras.

10-03-2019, 02:17 PM   #5660
dbs
Pentaxian

Went on the annual CC outing and only 2 Pentaxes there.....both mine
Nikon, Canon and Sony came along aswell

Dave
10-03-2019, 02:47 PM - 1 Like   #5661
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
That's also one reason why I went with Pentax. Well... Sort of... Mostly because of how often I accidentally drop stuff and have "accidents" with various personal equipment. I fell on a concrete pier at a beach a few months ago with camera in hand. Broke my watch crystal. Camera wasn't barely phased.
You're not alone in dropping cameras. I've posted it here before and as I've said I have no intention of doing it again. I dropped mine on the about 4 to 5 high about 3 years ago. I scratched my camera and my grip. My k-5II is still alive.
10-03-2019, 03:32 PM   #5662
Pentaxian

Took my K-50 into the Scottish Highlands recently. It poured rain every day - horizontal at times with the wind. That didn't stop me from getting out to take some photos of the coo and loads of sheep. It didn't make me nervous equipment wise. Not bad for entry level!

10-03-2019, 07:59 PM   #5663
Pentaxian

You're not alone in dropping cameras. I've posted it here before and as I've said I have no intention of doing it again. I dropped mine on the about 4 to 5 high about 3 years ago. I scratched my camera and my grip. My k-5II is still alive.
I dropped my K-70 (months before I traded it for a DA*55) with a DA 50 on snowy asphalt and it rolled a few feet before coming to a stop in a snow bank along a curb. I think it only suffered minor scratches but I decided that it was time to go home after that. I was also carrying an Oly E-M5 with me and I was downright scared to drop that in fear that it would just shatter.
10-04-2019, 01:41 PM   #5664
Pentaxian

I've changed my routine and pass the tourist crowns on my bike ride to work. Lots of entry level canons with kit lenses. The locals with cameras have more Fuji's and Sony's. I've only seen one Pentax in Stockholm. Older man from US with a HD 15mm ltd.
10-04-2019, 01:53 PM   #5665
Pentaxian

Today in The Hague not a single pentax, but then again no other brands as well with the rain, even when a Pentax would be fine. My K50 survived many wet days in Norway, Wales and Scotland.
10-04-2019, 01:55 PM   #5666
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
Today in The Hague not a single pentax, but then again no other brands as well with the rain, even when a Pentax would be fine. My K50 survived many wet days in Norway, Wales and Scotland.
I truly don't know why Pentax isn't more popular in Newfoundland given the weather. There are a few, but only see them once in a while. 2 other posters here I have never met live nearby.
10-04-2019, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #5667
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I drowned my K-3 in Costa Rica. Sorta kinda protected it when I was out in the rain but obviously not enough. First symptom didn't show up until about a week after the last time I was in the rain. Very small line on the rear LCD. When I got back to the states took it to a camera repair shop where they opened it up and found corrosion inside. Remember folks. Weather Resistance is not Water Proof.
10-04-2019, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #5668
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
I drowned my K-3 in Costa Rica. Sorta kinda protected it when I was out in the rain but obviously not enough. First symptom didn't show up until about a week after the last time I was in the rain. Very small line on the rear LCD. When I got back to the states took it to a camera repair shop where they opened it up and found corrosion inside. Remember folks. Weather Resistance is not Water Proof.
Correct. The Pentax warranty says, just like the Canon and Nikon warranties, water or sand ingress is *not* covered. All repairs at own cost.
10-04-2019, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #5669
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
True but at least you're in a way protected. For me, WR gives you a little time to take your last shot and keep your camera. It shouldn't be exposed to heavy rain.
10-04-2019, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #5670
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

True but at least you're in a way protected. For me, WR gives you a little time to take your last shot and keep your camera. It shouldn't be exposed to heavy rain.
I agree completely. Pentax weather resistance is the reason I chose a K-50 for my first DSLR. I'm an old fart and was worried about buying into a camera that was too complicated for me to figure out. And I live in Oregon so I was looking for an entry level camera with WR. And even though I had done some research before I bought it I did not know about the aperture block failure. Did not find PF until after the purchase. Have had the K-50 out in slight rain at times and it's still running strong. No water incursion or aperture problems
I knew I was pushing the envelope in Costa Rica and paid the price. I no longer own a K-3 but I have the K-50, K-70 and a K1 II. And a multitude of Pentax lenses both with WR and without. I'm a big fan of Pentax.