Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2011, 02:29 PM   #556
Veteran Member

Oh, and in the shop with the Pentax the female SA had a Pentax K-x shirt.

02-27-2011, 04:02 PM   #557
hml

I began shooting with Pentax Spotmatic II. Loved it for about 20 years but was put off by the lack of equipment availability. Ended up switching to a Nikon FM2 and thoroughly enjoyed that experience. Sold off my equipment and did not do any shooting for about 15 years. When I was going back into it I started researching the types of DSLRs out there. Had my heart set on a Nikon again but price became an issue as well as the huge variety all with their pros and cons. Saw the K20d and it performed as well if not better then the Nikon I was looking at. Most importantly it felt comfortable in my hands and the menu layout and buttons were easy to get used to. Could not be happier. But thank goodness for ebay and this marketplace because many of the large retailers do not stock Pentax and it usually is by special order.
02-27-2011, 05:41 PM   #558

During my visit to Machu Picchu (Perú) a few weeks ago, I spotted about three people using Pentax cameras. I couldn't identify the specific models, though.
02-27-2011, 07:22 PM   #559

More retail outlets

Someone earlier mentioned that Pentax cameras would be more popular if people could see them and handle them at the store. That could well be true. I ordered my K-x because of several reviews and sample photos I could download. However, when the camera arrived I was still surprised at its beauty and how great it felt in my hands. More retail outlets would definitely increase sales. I think there are only a few retail outlets here in Michigan (10 million population) and I'm not surprised to see so few Pentaxes.

02-27-2011, 09:44 PM   #560
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Marv Toler Quote
Someone earlier mentioned that Pentax cameras would be more popular if people could see them and handle them at the store. That could well be true. I ordered my K-x because of several reviews and sample photos I could download. However, when the camera arrived I was still surprised at its beauty and how great it felt in my hands. More retail outlets would definitely increase sales. I think there are only a few retail outlets here in Michigan (10 million population) and I'm not surprised to see so few Pentaxes.
well, it's not just about seeing and handling but more on advertising and promotions as well. the biased camera store staff also does a disservice to the brand as well. for what it's worth brand has become synonymous to the product as well and this creates stupidity in a way for the buying and uninformed public that brand won't make them good photographers.
03-02-2011, 07:15 AM   #561
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One advantage of being rare. I just returned from some time in Sicily and had been repeatedly warned in Palermo and Catania, to "keep a strong grip on that camera as where you are wandering is notorious for thieves and pickpockets". I walked extensively in back streets and mercatos and came upon quite a few suspicious characters who were obviously checking me out as a possible target (along with all the Canikon users as well), but when they saw "Pentax" on my camera, they got a puzzled look on their face as if to say "what is a Pentax?, I won't be able to get much for that thing". They passed me by searching for bigger game. Quite amusing.
03-07-2011, 03:39 PM   #562
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Was in a shop, today, with my K-5 on my shoulder. After the cute salesgirl asked if I needed help finding something, she noticed my 'de-branded' K-5 and mentioned 'nice Pentax.' (I've trimmed a piece of black electricians tape to cover the word "Pentax" on the flash front... I shoot nature subjects and find birds and animals spook when they detect the contrast between the white letters and black camera body). Anyway, I think she was being sincere as I'm old enough to be her grand-father (and look it), plus very married (and look it), so I doubt a hit was being sent my way. I responded with a 'Thank you" and moved on.

Ah...there once was a time...

Back to reality!

03-10-2011, 11:31 AM   #563

I think I have encountered one other Pentax shooter in the past year, and that was at a 40,000 person convention. Camera stores look at me a little funny, but I think they're glad to have someone buying old Pentax lenses. Don't think anyone has ever tried to challenge me on it IRL though.
03-10-2011, 03:23 PM   #564
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adrianpglover Quote
About a month after I got my K-7 and DA* lenses (first DSLR for me) I was at a beach in Galveston and noticed two people there carrying Pentax cameras. Now I feel bad not introducing myself as that was probably one of a very few chances to meet fellow Pentaxians by accident...
Cool, another Houstonian! I'm in Clear Lake and used to live in Galveston. I doubt it was me you saw, though, as I haven't been to the beach in several months.

BTW, I've run into Pentax users in the oddest places. Saw one guy with a nice Pentax kit at my daughter's elementary school. When I approached him to talk cameras (I had my K20D with me), he looked like I was going to rob him and kind of scuttled off.

Another time, I was out jogging on an old abandoned golf course and saw a guy out walking his dog with a camera. Turned out it was an old *istD. We talked for several minutes.

Other times, though, at touristy spots, I rarely see Pentax. Most of my friends shoot Nikon, though there's a guy in the office that's another big Pentax shooter (Kx) since he's a value shopper. He and his wife love it.
03-10-2011, 04:21 PM   #565
Inactive Account

I bought my Pentax because I knew exactly what I wanted and Pentax had it. Besides I have a friend with a k7. I met a fellow at the Eagle's nest in germany with one.
03-10-2011, 04:27 PM   #566
Forum Member

Well, when looking at the For Sale sections of my local Photo Gear Forums, or our local versions of Craigslist, I kind of wish we weren't really that rare.

But I do admit, that there are quite a few occasions, when I become a bit 'smug' about almost always being the lone Pentaxian - like when I bring out my pancake lenses next to all those big and heavy NiKanon gear. Or when the guy shooting next to me asks me if I'm actually shooting, because he can't hear the shutter sound of my K7. Or when I'm the only shooter not worried about getting my gear splashed.

In local online forums, I'm probably one of very few people who try to promote Pentax gear to new buyers. Though I've only been shooting Pentax for about a year, I've been accused of being a fanboy already, haha. Though like I always say, I shot with Nikon for half a decade, so I do actually have some perspective.

Incidentally, I was in Boracay Beach just a few days ago, and in the sea of Canikon's, I saw exactly two other Pentax shooters - a red Kx and a pink Kr. Both carried by female tourists. In fact, I saw more Sony Nexxies than Pentax.

But there is a fairly healthy (and growing!) Pentax community here in the Philippines. Bought about (mostly), by the Kx. (Same with me, my entry into Pentax was with the Kx). And the local Pentax distributor is starting to try to be more visible as well.

Here's a Pentax billboard at one of Metro Manila's major streets: (image not mine)

03-10-2011, 05:21 PM   #567
Veteran Member

Not too big a surprise for Pentax billboards or whatever to appear around the Philippines since most (all?) the bodies are made there

Consequently, are they cheaper there? How much are they on average in PHP (Philippine Peso)?
03-10-2011, 05:33 PM   #568
Forum Member

Yep, they're made in Cebu. But it is still a big surprise, because Pentax is still pretty small here, even Olympus had a bigger presence for awhile, though I think we're gaining ground.

I don't know much on how the economics works, but I *think* they're basically 'made for export'. So any Pentax gear that we buy here is actually 'imported' by the official local distributor.

So unlike other electronic stuff that's made here, it's unfortunately not that cheap. (e.g. Wharfedale speakers, which are relatively dirt cheap here vs the UK or US). I believe Pentax (like other photo gear) is actually significantly cheaper in Singapore and Hong Kong vs Manila.

Even CaNikon stuff is actually much more expensive vs US prices.

Here are some local prices in USD $ equivalent, using google's built in conversion:

Kx + 18-55 Kit = ~ $712
K5 Body Only = ~ $1587
Kr Body Only = ~ $805

And some lens prices (though lenses are not made here):

DA15 = ~ $805
DA40 = ~ $552
FA31 = ~ $1265
DA18-135 = ~$713

Cheers.
03-10-2011, 05:44 PM   #569
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You know that you're in a niche market when people are wanting a burst of 12 RAW images.... From a pink camera.
03-10-2011, 07:09 PM   #570
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ShowMeTheMoney Quote
Yep, they're made in Cebu. But it is still a big surprise, because Pentax is still pretty small here, even Olympus had a bigger presence for awhile, though I think we're gaining ground.

I don't know much on how the economics works, but I *think* they're basically 'made for export'. So any Pentax gear that we buy here is actually 'imported' by the official local distributor.

So unlike other electronic stuff that's made here, it's unfortunately not that cheap. (e.g. Wharfedale speakers, which are relatively dirt cheap here vs the UK or US). I believe Pentax (like other photo gear) is actually significantly cheaper in Singapore and Hong Kong vs Manila.

Even CaNikon stuff is actually much more expensive vs US prices.

Here are some local prices in USD $ equivalent, using google's built in conversion:

Kx + 18-55 Kit = ~ $712
K5 Body Only = ~ $1587
Kr Body Only = ~ $805

And some lens prices (though lenses are not made here):

DA15 = ~ $805
DA40 = ~ $552
FA31 = ~ $1265
DA18-135 = ~$713

Cheers.
Wow, that pricing would be categorized under imports. funny since the cameras are manufactured locally but still sold at MSRP locally. locals must really be pissed.