Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2011, 04:09 PM   #571

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ShowMeTheMoney Quote
Here's a Pentax billboard
Look how she's holding it! I don't think i have ever held my k-5 that way! What would she be pretending to be trying to do?!?

I was at WOMADelaide yesterday. I didn't see any other Pentax shooters. However, one guy tapped me on the shoulder to tell me that i was very tall (I think i was obstructing his view). I think his wife told him off for being rude, so a few minutes later he asked me what sort of camera I had (i think to make up for it). I told him it was a Pentax and he said, "Do they still make those?!" and asked if it was digital or not! I said yes, and showed him the LCD screen coz i thought he might need proof. Told him it just came out the end of last year. That was the end of the conversation though. I didn't really feel like continuing it... I was missing shots anyway.

03-12-2011, 04:47 PM   #572
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My guess is she was actually holding a P&S and they 'shopped the K-r in.
03-12-2011, 04:58 PM   #573
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's not impossible to hold a DSLR like that.. I somehow managed to do it with my K20D
03-12-2011, 05:53 PM   #574

Most stores here don't sell Pentax. When I've shopped around for accessories or whatnot, the conversation usually goes like this...
"hey, can I help you?"
"well, I'm sorta looking for x, but all ya'll have is y."
"well, y is a great product. [insert some random factoids about cameras or photography meant to impress me with their knowledge base so I will buy what they recommend]."
"well, that sounds good and all, but I really want x and ya'll don't have it."
eventually they say "what do you shoot?"
"pentax"
"i've never heard of that. this works great on a Nikon though."
"ok, thanks for your help."

Which is why I continue to buy most things online... hard for me to take anyone seriously who at least doesn't know of or acknowledge Pentax. Fine if you want to choose Canikon because of your friends or local selection or marketing or whatever... but don't blindly ignore a brand that is certainly comparable (and obviously superior in many important ways) just because you don't want to admit someone might have found a better camera than you by doing a little research. Because, if you are anything like me, I didn't just stumble upon Pentax and decide this is what I wanted... took some research online about bodies and glass to convince me that this was the brand I wanted to invest in long-term with glass. In-body stabilization and complete backwards compatibility sold me.

03-12-2011, 05:56 PM   #575
Site Supporter

Just came back from a civil war re-enactment here in Arizona
and saw 2 others with Pentax. Both K20s
03-12-2011, 06:57 PM   #576
Inactive Account

We may be rare but:
My wife, Mother in Law, and I went on a bus trip in Bavaria last fall. That makes a K10D, K200D and Optio W60 on one bus of tourists. It turns out that there was another KX and another Optio (something) in our group as well.
03-12-2011, 07:42 PM   #577
Forum Member

I spent a whole day at Disneyland AND California Adventure with my family in California, USA, and I only saw one K-m/K-x body. Hundreds of Canons and Nikons though.
03-12-2011, 07:50 PM   #578
Site Supporter

Spent a 7 days at Disneyland and California Adventure. Didn't see another Pentaxian....=(
I saw more Nikon than Canon, by my casual counting.

Noticed Disneyland use Nikon's cameras and Manfrotto tripods.

03-12-2011, 08:01 PM   #579
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 7samurai Quote
Spent a 7 days at Disneyland and California Adventure. Didn't see another Pentaxian....=(
I saw more Nikon than Canon, by my casual counting.

Noticed Disneyland use Nikon's cameras and Manfrotto tripods.
Yes, me too. They also have flash guns. When I walked in, one of the photographers nodded at me when he saw my blue K-x. Pretty scary.
The opposite though when I went to Universal Studios. They had D5000s in the front with the kit lens, and inside the park, they had D40s with kit lenses. I was quite surprised.
03-17-2011, 03:23 PM   #580
Forum Member

Well,

that's sad actually. Not that we are such a rare breed, the Pentax users/ fans/ lovers/ [put wahtver describes you best]... But that we might be too few to support the long-term well being of the company that caters for our needs and preferences.

I guess Nikon/ Canon are in much better shape with their sales (individually) probably 5-6 times greater than Pentax. They can produce new models every year and invest in R&D truck loads of money. Whereas Pentax has a much tighter budget.

Maybe we should invest some time in marketing? Whenever you give a camera as a gift (like a simple P&S), what do you choose? Or when a friend asks, what camera you use - what do you recommend? How many canikon users have you turned?

just some thoughts...
03-18-2011, 11:00 AM - 1 Like   #581
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by maciek_w Quote
Well,

Whenever you give a camera as a gift (like a simple P&S), what do you choose? Or when a friend asks, what camera you use - what do you recommend? How many canikon users have you turned?

just some thoughts...
When I give cameras away, they are always Pentax point and shoot. Too poor to give a Pentax DSLR.

When someone asks me what camera I use, I show them my pictures instead of my camera. I think it's easier to convery what it can do instead of looking at specs. People around me have a higher regard for Pentax now.
03-19-2011, 04:02 AM   #582
Veteran Member

I joined my University's photography club, there were only 3 pentax users (including me). The rest were canon/nikon.
03-19-2011, 09:51 AM   #583
Pentaxian

At the local camera repair shop yesterday, dropping off a lens to be checked/fixed:

Me: I was told to bring my camera along...
Woman behind counter: Is it digital?
Me: Yep, it's digital.
Her: Can you leave it with us over the weekend? We don't fix much Pentax stuff...

Either that's a good thing, or we really are THAT rare...
03-19-2011, 01:24 PM   #584
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 7samurai Quote
Spent a 7 days at Disneyland and California Adventure. Didn't see another Pentaxian....=( I saw more Nikon than Canon, by my casual counting. Noticed Disneyland use Nikon's cameras and Manfrotto tripods.
QuoteOriginally posted by noaslplease Quote
I spent a whole day at Disneyland AND California Adventure with my family in California, USA, and I only saw one K-m/K-x body. Hundreds of Canons and Nikons though.
Similar to these, as I just spent 4 days in Orlando area parks, 1 day each in Magic Kingdom, Universal Studios, Epcot, and Hollywood Disney. Saw 5-6 Pentax's (none k5 or k7, that I could tell). Lots of Nikon's and Canons. Strange, but earlier in the days the Nikons seemed to way out number the Canons, and were mostly carried by women. Later in the days, the Canons were out in full force, and more likely carried by men. I probably saw about as many Sony's as Pentax's. Very few of any dslr's appeared to be anything other than entry level, based on size, and almost all were using the kit lenses, I think. I think I saw one 7D, two 60D's, one D300, and one D3. The D300 had a grip and looked absolutely HUGE compared to everything else. I also saw the Disney park photographers using Nikon's and Manfrotto tripods exclusively.

Rare is okay; rare to the point that the brand cannot be supported is definitely not okay.

My $0.02. Thanks.

Glenn
03-20-2011, 05:02 AM   #585

I just got back from a week vacation in Turkey. While there shooting with my K-7 I kept an eye on everyone else's camera to see what was around. I saw 2 Pentax DSLRs...one K-10 and the other walked by pretty fast so I didn't see the label. There were about twice as many Canons as Nikons...and one Leica M9. I didn't see any Sony, Panasonic, etc. I did see a few power zoom models of the Pentax line...but that was about it. Most of the other brand cameras were using either kit lenses or Sigma lenses. I know one of the Pentaxians was using a DA* 16-50 like I was..and I think the other one was too, but I'm not sure. Both the Pentaxians were women...if that means anything.

Just thought I'd give a report...