Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2399 Likes Search this Thread
04-02-2011, 07:10 PM   #601
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by annemari Quote
Well, the best thing that I've ever heard was one Pentaxian who talked to another Pentaxian about how cheap he got his new Pentax stuff because one fool sold all of his stuff. So yes, real Pentaxians know what is good!

And here is a link to our Pentax 645D presentation video And almost everyone who were there are Pentaxians
NB! This wasn't advertized so it was only from mouth to mouth

That was a really nice video! Was it shot on a K-5?

04-02-2011, 07:25 PM   #602
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
easy, get yourself a big looking camera (K20D) with a battery grip on and put on a honking DA* zoom (50-135) and tell them that you are a talent agent taking photos of potential models.
I once went to a hockey game that my son-in-law was playing in (at midnight, yet!) with the K10d, battery grip, DA* 50-135/2.8 and hood on (I'm paranoid about people bumping lenses with zipper pulls). There was a gent there who struck up a conversation. He was there because it was something to do. After a while he left, I saw him talk to a couple of people at the other end of the rink. After a while I got cold and went to sit at the lounge and imbibe some anti-freeze. The gent was there, and told me that the couple asked him what I was doing there with that big professional camera. He said I was a scout for the NHL. Good laugh!
04-02-2011, 07:26 PM   #603
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Jannie Quote
I'd like to know how the ugly blokes always get the pretty girls ! !
The girls look even prettier next to ugly guys like me.
04-02-2011, 08:20 PM   #604
Forum Member

In my photo club, I have yet to see anybody with a Pentax. We Pentaxians are "unique" in that we are able see value and go for it regardless of what all the sheep are doing. It does speak a world about Pentax marketing though. Great products but no savy in marketing the great products they have. Terribly frustrating. I have no clue what their grand strategy is to improve market share.

04-02-2011, 08:45 PM   #605
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I once went to a hockey game that my son-in-law was playing in (at midnight, yet!) with the K10d, battery grip, DA* 50-135/2.8 and hood on (I'm paranoid about people bumping lenses with zipper pulls). There was a gent there who struck up a conversation. He was there because it was something to do. After a while he left, I saw him talk to a couple of people at the other end of the rink. After a while I got cold and went to sit at the lounge and imbibe some anti-freeze. The gent was there, and told me that the couple asked him what I was doing there with that big professional camera. He said I was a scout for the NHL. Good laugh!
. that's a good one.
04-03-2011, 09:40 AM   #606
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just got back from a 10 day cruise in the Caribbean. I saw lots of Canikon, one Sony, and zero Pentax, except for mine. While I was negotiating for a DA 21mm at a shop in St. Thomas, a man walked by and said "A Pentax! - Get a Canon!" and walked out.
04-03-2011, 09:45 AM   #607
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
I just got back from a 10 day cruise in the Caribbean. I saw lots of Canikon, one Sony, and zero Pentax, except for mine. While I was negotiating for a DA 21mm at a shop in St. Thomas, a man walked by and said "A Pentax! - Get a Canon!" and walked out.
there are a lot of jerkosaurus like those around. I dunno, but it seems they breed from Canon.

04-03-2011, 04:57 PM   #608
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
That was probably one of the stores I visited. Besides the 21mm, all of the Pentax glass I saw available was overpriced in St. Thomas and St. Martin. Not sure why they were selling the 21mm so cheap... At the time I had recently bought a 31mm, so I passed on the deal.
04-03-2011, 07:33 PM   #609
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
That was probably one of the stores I visited. Besides the 21mm, all of the Pentax glass I saw available was overpriced in St. Thomas and St. Martin. Not sure why they were selling the 21mm so cheap... At the time I had recently bought a 31mm, so I passed on the deal.
I could not pass on that DA 21mm, so cheap. It seems to be good lens so far, I like it.
04-03-2011, 11:17 PM   #610

I was in chinatown in San Francisco a few weeks ago and my sister and I were walking by a camera shop and an sa shouted out to me "need a knew lens for that purple cam...Is that a pentax? Nice camera!" The people who do notice my camera have all been very pleasant
That day I saw about 3 other Pentax cameras and two were carried by asian females and one by a South Asian guy one was a navy k-x and the other two I couldn't tell.
04-04-2011, 04:03 PM   #611
Veteran Member

I saw about 3-4 K-x (maybe K-r???) at the zoo on Sunday, including a pink one.

I guess the K-x is a fairly popular camera.
04-05-2011, 05:39 AM   #612
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
I saw about 3-4 K-x (maybe K-r???) at the zoo on Sunday, including a pink one.

I guess the K-x is a fairly popular camera.
You can add 1 K-7, I was there too.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/1452264-post155.html

I didn't see you there sorry, I would imagine you would be easy to spot with that pink bag of yours.

Last week I was away in Asia on a business trip. (I'm design/building part of a plant for a large food manufacturer, in a totally new factory).
While in a technical meeting with other engineers, I spotted a green lens ring flash past the window.
Probably the only DSLR in a 10km radius and it turns out that the Project leader has a gripped K-7 and DA*200, DA*300, DA70, DA40 and several other lenses (he doesnt own any zoom lenses). Doesnt have a DA15 though.
04-05-2011, 06:09 AM   #613
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On Saturday I went to meet my life partners new equine friend. Naturally I took the K-5 and a variety of lenses, including the venerable DA50-135. As I was walking along toward the home paddock, k-5 around my shoulder, batt grip and Da lens attached, one of the other riders caught sight of the camera and lens. 'Nice lens' she ventured from a 20 ft distance. 'Nikon?' 'Nope', Says I, 'Pentax'

Confused look ensues.

'Big lens though. 2.8?'

'Yep 50-135 F2.8, which would be the rough equivalent of a 70-200 lens on a Nikon full frame camera.' I explained.

another confused look.

A few minutes later, while I was taking shots in the near dark of horse and rider in an indoor arena, the woman approached me again.

'Um, I have my camera bag outside, if you would like to have a go with that. You seem to like taking photo's. Maybe you would like to have a go with a really nice camera'

'Thank you' Says I and retrieve the camera bag.

Inside I find a Nikon D200 and a lens (something like a 18-50 or something F2.8. [I know nothing about the Nikon lens range] She had just bought the lens 2nd hand during a trip to HK or somewhere and was proud of the fact that she had a fast lens to go with her camera. That explained the '2.8?' enquiry earlier.)

I'm a polite lad, so I mount the lens and try to get my head around the Nikon way of doing things and her personal settings. I say nothing about the relative merits of the two camera's.

'Just put it in 'P' mode and snap away', she ventures.

'That's fine, I found Av mode, that should do.' I tell her.

It didn't matter what I did, for the next 15 minutes I tried every trick I knew to coax a decent non-noisy exposure out of that combo. In the end I had to resort to flash to get a pic of she and her horse, which was her object after all. She wanted a few nice frames on her memory card.

Finally in frustration, I put the damned thing down, picked up the K-5 and took a series of pics in 'chine gun mode (I was showing off now) Every one of them worked out fine as far as exposure goes. (No claims about the artistic merit of the pics)

She spluttered and stuttered and mentioned megapixels and whoziwhatsits and other things she clearly didn't really understand. She couldn't believe that an unknown camera could outperform her precious N.

She pointed out that she had an 85 F1.4 in the bag and that should be better in the dim light. I agreed with her and pulled the Fa50 1.4 from my pocket. I took a few pics of her mounted on the horse. The horses nose was sharp, but at 1.4 she was blurred into the background.

I then pulled the Da40 from my pocket, mounted it, removed the battery grip and showed her the diminutive size of my camera compared to hers.

'It's tiny! she exclaimed. 'Yup, sure is.'

'Wha-what was the name of that camera make again?' She was almost speechless by this stage.

'Pentax', I said as I was walking away. 'You should look into them.'

I was grinning on the inside.
04-05-2011, 06:14 AM   #614
Veteran Member

Not all that fair putting a 3 generation old camera up against our latest and greatest, but what the heck.
04-05-2011, 06:23 AM   #615
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Not all that fair putting a 3 generation old camera up against our latest and greatest, but what the heck.
I agree, but it was she who wanted to show off with her 'nice camera'.

I was just having fun and teaching her a little about hubris at the same time.