Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2399 Likes Search this Thread
06-16-2020, 02:18 PM   #6196
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Something I do when the mood takes me is some subtle Pentax evangelising, by adding Pentax into examples on Wikipedia. I do some Wikipedia editing anyway on various subjects, and when it comes to photography I notice that Pentax is often forgotten in, for example, lists of DSLRs that use a particular technology. I don't delete any references to other brands, as that would be vandalism, but I add Pentax alongside them.
I have tried to add pictures of Pentax kit to some articles, but they were rejected with messages that Wikipedia did not believe I had copyright to them But I took the pictures myself!
So it's you who have 'visited' this page:
Makrofotografi ? Wikipedia

;-)

06-16-2020, 03:28 PM   #6197
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Someone at the camp, or at least the photographer that took that shot, should teach the kids how to hold a DSLR correctly.
Pentax puts a lot of effort into their designed ergonomics.
Possibly a genuine ''Pentax''
06-17-2020, 01:29 AM - 1 Like   #6198
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
So it's you who have 'visited' this page:
Makrofotografi ? Wikipedia ;-)
Not me, my Norwegian isn't good enough*, and I'd have used a picture of my own M100 macro

* I think "ost" means cheese, but that's about my limit.
06-17-2020, 02:31 AM   #6199
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
* I think "ost" means cheese, but that's about my limit.
Correct.

06-17-2020, 03:13 AM - 2 Likes   #6200
Pentaxian

DSLRs are designed for using the optical viewfinder with your right eye....and there are a lot of photogs that are natural left eye shooters. So my guess is that anyone shooting vertical with the grip at the bottom is probably left eyed, which makes sense for them.
I'm right-handed but left-eye-dominant, because I see better with that eye, even with my glasses. Shooting a DSLR with your left eye is no problem at all and does not make any difference to the ergonomics or handling of the camera.
06-17-2020, 03:33 AM   #6201
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I'm right-handed but left-eye-dominant, because I see better with that eye, even with my glasses. Shooting a DSLR with your left eye is no problem at all and does not make any difference to the ergonomics or handling of the camera.
I'm both left handed and left eyed; zero issues here holding the camera "normally" with glasses on either in portrait or landscape orientation.
06-17-2020, 03:35 AM   #6202
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't see a lot of people with Pentax cameras. There's quite a few with mirrorless, Fuji et al. I see a lot of birders around here, all with Canon and Nikon stuff. If i go into the few physical camera shops still left, there's no Pentax. I've been around a few huddles of photographers who all struck up conversations about their gear but not with me. Mind you I do scowl, my wife says.

I kinda like it like that, it fits my very slightly non-conformist, anarchic nature. My only real concern is that there needs to be enough of us to keep the brand ticking over and innovating.

06-17-2020, 12:15 PM   #6203
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, fair enough, but then I don't understand your earlier comment about holding the grip at the bottom for a vertical shot makes you cringe. Holding the grip on the bottom allows a left eyed person more space for your face to avoid the camera back and gives your right eye vision as well. It's also advantageous to have the weight of the camera above your palm rather than having to grip a hanging camera with your left elbow high and arm pit in the wind.

And out of curiosity, can I then assume your profile photo is not you or a flipped image? That photographer appears to be right eye dominant.

Please explain why holding the grip at the bottom makes you cringe.
06-17-2020, 01:38 PM - 2 Likes   #6204
Pentaxian

I find it difficult to press the shutter with the grip at the bottom due to the wrist angle. My macro set up is weighted down with flash on the left. It is too heavy to hold from the top and the light would shift to underneath anyway. So i personally shoot macro grip down and I cringe because my wrist is bent backward.
Without the flash bracket though, i want the grip at top because my left hand has room to support the lens and focus or zoom without my grip and hand in the way.
So there you have one perspective. I would never cringe if someone else holds a camera unless it is my camera or a small child is in danger.
06-17-2020, 02:10 PM   #6205
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
I find it difficult to press the shutter with the grip at the bottom due to the wrist angle.....
Fully agree, I also aim with my left eye even though I am not left-handed, and the upturned handle is hideous.
there's an old post about left/right eye prevalence, the prevalence is for the right eye.

Left vs. Right Eye

Last edited by maw; 06-17-2020 at 02:33 PM.
06-17-2020, 02:50 PM - 7 Likes   #6206
Pentaxian

It's also advantageous to have the weight of the camera above your palm rather than having to grip a hanging camera with your left elbow high and arm pit in the wind.
Ah but hand holding at lowish shuitter speeds dangling the camera from the grip permits gravity to provide some damping to the vibration, as the centre of gravity is below the holding point, as opposed to having the weight above the holding point.

Secondly I am right hand and right eye dominant so having my right armpit open to the wind is quite common and is of some benefit living as I do in tropical northern Queensland. If I am taking a picture facing North during the dry season then the North Easterly trade wind provides a very pleasant naturally cooling airflow. During the wet season I try to face South when picture taking also with the elbow held high, grip uppermost, so the prevailing North Westerly monsoon wind provides a similar airflow. The outside temperature at this time is frequently in the high 30s and wet season humidity is in the 90s so this shooting style improves the composure of the person holding the camera and therefore the composure of the picture itself.

A picture taken toward the south west with elbow pointing to the north west in the time of the monsoon demonstrating the advantages of this hand holding style for these conditions

K20D & Takumar ST 50 1.4

Last edited by Arjay Bee; 06-17-2020 at 03:29 PM.
06-19-2020, 06:41 AM   #6207
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
I find it difficult to press the shutter with the grip at the bottom due to the wrist angle.
Most people I see holding a camera in a portrait orientation with grip down use their right thumb to press the shutter, so no real stress on the wrist.
06-19-2020, 02:25 PM   #6208
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most people I see holding a camera in a portrait orientation with grip down use their right thumb to press the shutter, so no real stress on the wrist.
I've honestly never seen this and can't even imagine what that looks like. Can you post an example? I'm an old dog, but can learn new tricks.
06-19-2020, 02:51 PM   #6209
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Aaaaaah, I always default to grip up portrait, grip down feels really natural! You learn something new every day, especially on here
06-19-2020, 03:04 PM - 1 Like   #6210
Pentaxian

Just tried it. I can understand that. Called monkey grip in gymnastics because you are not using the thumb in opposition. Now how do i hit back button focus doing this?