Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2011, 07:01 AM   #616
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Went to downtown Lynchburg to do a little 'Single In April' work on Sunday. As I walked up the local monument I noticed a couple taking pictures of the memorials and plaques. As I passed I noticed something strange about their lenses. A green ring... They both had K200's. We talked for a couple of minutes, they were considering the K-r or K-5 for the video capabilities and hadn't heard of pentaxforums so I shot them this way. I saw one other shooter with a Nikon..

Pentax 3
Nikon 1
Canon 0

Nice day downtown.

04-05-2011, 10:56 AM   #617

QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
So while all the canikon fanboys are out spending loads of $$$ on new lenses, I'll still be haunting yard sales and pawn shops to pick up 30 year old Pentax lenses for usually under $50 that still work on DSLR...can't beat it with a stick...

Oh yeah, I can't remember seeing anyone with a Pentax lately, one here and there in my film days, that's about it, so I guess we are that rare.
Can't Canon do the same with the screwmount lenses with no problem, just need the adapter like Pentax?
04-05-2011, 11:11 AM   #618
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by justtakingpics Quote
Can't Canon do the same with the screwmount lenses with no problem, just need the adapter like Pentax?
they can't use all the FD glass though (some off which is truly outstanding), they abandoned those users pre digital when the eos line launched. Lost a lot of fans at that time, it was really their implementation of digital that put them back on top, Nikon (who were the big winner in the FD eos fiasco) was slow off the mark and lost share.
Pentax lost their dominance earlier than that really in the eighties. All the people who bought entry level for snap shots moved to p/s that was much better than it had been prior to that, and though the LX system was stellar it never matched the nikon f variants ar the Canon A systems for capturing pro market. Pentax focused on pros with Medium format where they had very good share
04-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #619

Photos: Gallery
Rarity may be good at one point, but products will always be expensive, especially lenses due to lower economy of scale. Part of it is the Pentax marketing team are too blame, second it's the overall corporate strategy. I think Hoya never consider Pentax camera division a serious business. Pentax missed the golden time where most P&S shooter upgrading to DSLR, Canikon were out there enticing this consumer group with recycled model and marketed them as entry level camera. Good corporate strategy with minimum investment, and a large number of beginners eventually upgraded to more expensive model realizing the limit of their entry level camera. This group had spent large amount on lenses and accessories and will not change brand so easily, even though they know Pentax have better product out there. Most of is purchasing a Pentax DSLR because of our film days experiences, and still plan to keep the glass we had invested. I'm proud to own a Pentax ZX-3- entry level SLR, and K-r is on the way soon. Pentax cannot rely on brand loyalty forever, must brace itself to go out and find new users. I do hope to see Pentax will live through this decade.

04-06-2011, 02:46 AM   #620
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
You can add 1 K-7, I was there too.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/1452264-post155.html

I didn't see you there sorry, I would imagine you would be easy to spot with that pink bag of yours.
Cool - great pic of that Snow Leopard!

I wasn't there long - from 2-4pm (I'm a Zoo Friend so I tend to nip in and out for short visits) and I left the pink bag in the car as I was only carrying one lens :-)
04-06-2011, 04:18 AM   #621
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Cool - great pic of that Snow Leopard!

I wasn't there long - from 2-4pm (I'm a Zoo Friend so I tend to nip in and out for short visits) and I left the pink bag in the car as I was only carrying one lens :-)
Thanks. I've got 56 other pictures of the Snow Leopard from Sunday including a few yawning & stretching, licking paws.
The couple of times I went last year, he was hiding.

I was going to make a collage(?) of 5 pics. Nikon(yawn), Canon (Yaawwwn), Sony (yawn,stretch), P&S (licks foot, looks away bored).....a Pentax (hey check it out!).

Sounds like you need to make a smaller pink "F-5XB" sized one for shorter outings.
04-06-2011, 06:33 AM   #622
Pentaxian

Haha, great story.

I recently brought a newcomer to Pentax, she bought a K-x in stormtrooper white. She was going to buy a 1000D or so, but after I suggested the K-x/K-r she started considering it. The colour was a bonus (would have paid quite a bit more just for that), the reviews were great, and I think touching it in a shop then really did it. I can't believe how cheap those entry level Canons and Sonys feel. Hell, my Mums small Ixus feels much tougher than those cameras! (admittedly that Ixus was pretty expensive... almost 300 Euro for a P&S which is really just that, albeit so tiny that it's almost impossible to get a sharp photo at 1/20... which I can easily do even with my 50mm).

I think Pentax really should work on brand recognition... many don't know the brand or are unaware that they make DSLRs. I mean, in Singapore there are constantly Canon ads on TV. For their DSLRs! They even sponsor a movie a week. (Nikon mostly advertises their superzoom models, but they also sponsored some sort of Americas Next Top Model for photogs, who had to use some entry level Nikon DSLR and glass). And Pentax?! Also, I think what really sells a Pentax is the look and feel. I mean, try a K-x next to a 1000D or 550D... what would you buy? But if all you see is a Sony A33 or so, Nikon D3000 and Canon 1000D, then of course you won't buy Pentax. I really don't know what is wrong over there, if they don't care about selling cameras they should stop making them. (All the more or less nice colours are genius, though.)

But what really hurts Pentax is the lack of a cheap 50mm 1.8. Really. Whenever I am asked to recommend a DSLR, I say Pentax. And get a cheap 50mm, everyone needs one. Which isn't available for Pentax (unless you go for old manual focus glass... which will then be cheaper of course). If you want something new with AF, you'll end up paying 350 Euro instead of 90 when you buy a Canon. For a better lens of course, which is unnecessary though. So you can buy a great camera, great value, but you will have to pay a lot for a lens everyone should have, whereas for Canon or Nikon you get it for free, almost. Where the cameras are almost as good, but the lens is cheaper. What the hell is stopping Pentax from making a 1.8? Didn't they have one, with AF? Just continue making that one for crying out loud...

Oh, and lenses... I recently picked up a Tokina 80-200 (4.5-5.6 I think) for about 25 Euro. New. The poor SA was desperate to get rid of their Pentax mount glasses, cause no one buys them. No Pentax shooters around. So he is willing to let them go for pretty good prices I think. Been enjoying that Tokina so far. Mounts fine on my *istDs, the A setting is very appreciated, it's pretty smooth, and optically it's ok. Could be sharper, but who cares?! It's 25 Euro! Brightness is a bit of an issue though. If you're in Singapore you'll find them in Sim Lim Square, #02-80/63, Pixels N Shutter. Chris was his name. Friendly guy too. (Cash Converters don't sell any Pentax lenses, I'm afraid?)

Oh and can it be that Malaysia has more Pentax shooters than Singapore? I definitely saw more in Malaysia. Ok, I saw none in Singapore.
04-06-2011, 06:55 AM   #623
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with everything you said with the exception of a fast 50 being the lens everyone should have, this is a hangover from film days when it was the kit lens of the time (and it had a "normal" or close to FOV. from that standpoint the new 35 2.4 is the lens all apsc people should have not a 50 (and from what i have seen it's a pretty good lens for the dough)

04-06-2011, 02:46 PM   #624
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I agree with everything you said with the exception of a fast 50 being the lens everyone should have, this is a hangover from film days when it was the kit lens of the time (and it had a "normal" or close to FOV. from that standpoint the new 35 2.4 is the lens all apsc people should have not a 50 (and from what i have seen it's a pretty good lens for the dough)
Agreed eddie, 35 is the new 50.
04-06-2011, 03:03 PM   #625
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
Thanks. I've got 56 other pictures of the Snow Leopard from Sunday including a few yawning & stretching, licking paws.
The couple of times I went last year, he was hiding.

I was going to make a collage(?) of 5 pics. Nikon(yawn), Canon (Yaawwwn), Sony (yawn,stretch), P&S (licks foot, looks away bored).....a Pentax (hey check it out!).

Sounds like you need to make a smaller pink "F-5XB" sized one for shorter outings.
You are so incredibly lucky - I have never seen that Snow Leopard in anything other than "Let me sulk away in my little corner away from the cruel world" pose :-(

Would love to see your collage - and the captions would be fantastic!

And don't give me any more ideas about camera bags, I may get tempted

PS - I did manage to get a rare picture of the bear (don't see her very active these days - I fear she is getting old):
04-06-2011, 05:38 PM   #626
Veteran Member

Except it's still nearly a stop slower. A good lens maybe, but a fast 50 replacement it ain't. Hell, you can't even quite compare it to a 50 f/2.0.
04-06-2011, 05:49 PM   #627
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Except it's still nearly a stop slower. A good lens maybe, but a fast 50 replacement it ain't. Hell, you can't even quite compare it to a 50 f/2.0.
Pentax seem to be a little stuck by their own success in this area. They have a quandary. Build a fast cheap 35ish fast lens and sacrifice sales of the FA31 and Da 35 macro? Or just build a cheap and cheerful DaL 35 to go with the K-r/K-x?

I think they made the right decision. If people want a cheap 35ish, they can have it, and then there are incremental quality/speed/price steps above that.
04-07-2011, 04:01 AM   #628
Veteran Member

True, but it then goes right back to the issue that was originally complained about. Everyone but Pentax has a cheap, decent 50mm (or equivalent) fast lens.
04-07-2011, 06:51 AM   #629
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
True, but it then goes right back to the issue that was originally complained about. Everyone but Pentax has a cheap, decent 50mm (or equivalent) fast lens.
This is exactly what I was thinking. In practical terms, the 35 f2.4 might be a good option, but it fails to compete with the faster, cheaper 50mm primes offered by Canon & Nikon. Furthermore, I would consider buying the 35 at its $200, but being shorter and slower, it would not replace my M 50mm f1.4.
04-07-2011, 10:47 AM   #630
Pentaxian

Hm. I think it was also quite successful because of how bright and cheap it was. Yes, the 35mm is closer to a normal lens, but it's 180 Euro. Not 95. It is also as mentioned one stop slower. The 50mm is a wonderful portrait lens, I love it whenever I want shallow DoF or don't have a lot of light (admittedly such night vision goggles as the K-x and the K-5 might not need such a fast lens). Concerts are a nice use case, or portraits, etc. And it's dirt cheap.

And it's not like Pentax would have to invest billions to bring one to market... they made that thing until, dunno, I think 2004?