Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2399 Likes Search this Thread
11-11-2020, 10:02 AM - 4 Likes   #6376
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven't seen people shooting Pentax, in the wild, since my days of shooting film in the 70's and 80's. That being said, I did once convert someone to a Pentax K-10D. Back in 2005, my wife and I took a trip to France. We had a tour guide who volunteered to take a picture of us with my K-10D. She did so, returned it, and commented on how good it felt in her hands. Two days later she rejoined our group with her own K-10D.

11-11-2020, 11:54 AM   #6377
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Well for the first time since I've been reporting tallies of student cameras in my classes each semester on this thread, not a single Pentax in sight
Canon: 36
Nikon: 11
Probably because of the economy, I am seeing older DSLRs and more entry level new DSLRs, and thus no matter how much praise I may give the K70, there is too big a price gap between the K70 and the Rebel or the D3500.
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Look on the bright side, no Sonys I had thought Sony was on the way to taking over the camera world.
No Sony IMO because I recommend DSLRs in my class, although Mirrorless are allowed, but also price:

Canon T7 with lens: $400
Nikon D3500 with lens: $500
Pentax K70 with lens: $650
Sony a6000 with lens: $650

I also believe sales and marketing of megapixels influences the perception of desirability, and thus the entry level Lumix and Olympus with four thirds are even more rare with relatively lower MP. That theory may not be true however considering Fujifilm does offer higher MP at prices close to Nikon.
11-11-2020, 01:27 PM   #6378

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
Sometimes its a matter of "fool proofing", forcing them to stop using their old ways by taking the older method away. The iPhone is light and always with her. Why change? She is warping the image in PS anyway, so it is a start for the rest of her "art". You can lead a horse to water....
You're right. She continues to produce beautiful art. Can't argue with that. But I do grieve for the two camera sets that are sitting around unused. Somebody somewhere would just about die for those. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make her pick up the soap. c:
11-11-2020, 03:40 PM   #6379
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by heinamj Quote
I've been shooting Pentax DSLRs for over 6 years and have only met 1 or 2 others per year... pretty rare and getting rarer.
I've seen DSLRs in general getting rarer and rarer amongst the people who are carring ILCs! Most of the people who do carry DSLRs that I do see are nature photographers with long lenses.

11-11-2020, 04:37 PM   #6380
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think I've only spotted one other in the wild, but even that isn't confirmed. I just recall seeing a green ring on the lens common to Pentax.
11-11-2020, 07:34 PM - 2 Likes   #6381

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
I think I've only spotted one other in the wild, but even that isn't confirmed. I just recall seeing a green ring on the lens common to Pentax.
When Pentax came out with all those custom colors, I had hoped that it would attract photographers who want to customize their equipment so they would be recognized, to help ID it, etc. Instead, it seems that professionals think it's tacky or childish or something. What a shame. My white and red bodies have attracted quite a few friendly queries and comments.
11-11-2020, 08:17 PM   #6382
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barefootdesigns Quote
When Pentax came out with all those custom colors, I had hoped that it would attract photographers who want to customize their equipment so they would be recognized, to help ID it, etc. Instead, it seems that professionals think it's tacky or childish or something. What a shame. My white and red bodies have attracted quite a few friendly queries and comments.
I'd love to have color options as well, but it seems those are only offered on the low end bodies. I'm kind of surprised I don't see more of that, but I guess being basic black hides scuffs and there's no worry about paint peeling off.

11-11-2020, 11:27 PM   #6383

Fun colors for Pentax bodies and lenses

All the reasons I've heard for basic black camera bodies mirror those for keeping instruments in black cases, but I think it all boils down into tradition--serious people don't have pink cameras--or red, or white or any color that might scare a deer or show up when one is trying to avoid spooking the natives. Not to worry a moot point, but history shows cameras covered in leather (and "pleather") that really don't age well, and black paint is prone to the same elements as all the other colors, IMO. I use my white K-01 more than any other camera I own and it has stayed rather pristine, surprisingly. Good paint, it is.

Personally, I like the colors because I am less likely to lose something in the woods if it's bright red. I do wish I'd had the money to custom order a K-01 in a couple of "wild and crazy" combinations, just for the fun of it. I'm afraid Pentax' shot at that has doomed future experimentation in that direction. Guess I'm a fan of whimsy.

To me, it seems that Pentax has failed--all other considerations aside--to creatively promote/advertise their products, just building great cameras and throwing them out into a busy, indifferent world. It's a shame and we will probably be the last generation of dedicated owners. Having used them since the '70's, I can only say I feel privileged to have participated during the exciting years.
11-11-2020, 11:55 PM - 1 Like   #6384
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
I'd love to have color options as well, but it seems those are only offered on the low end bodies. I'm kind of surprised I don't see more of that, but I guess being basic black hides scuffs and there's no worry about paint peeling off.
I agree, but I think it only works if they can manufacture to order. It's like cars...white, silver, and black are the three most popular, whereas blue is around 11% and red is only 7% in 2020. So it's a risk if you've got an inventory of anything other than black cameras or white, silver, and black cars. So boring, but not much different than refrigerators, washers, and couches...but nothing is more conservative in photography than the tried and true SLR.
11-12-2020, 12:42 AM   #6385
Pentaxian

Hmmm, I guess this is a matter of taste, but I wouldn't want a camera in any other colour than black. I've heard plenty of photographers who wouldn't want their equipment to stand out; some of them even use black tape to mask the brand so that the camera becomes even less conspicuous (which of course only works up to the moment they put a whopping big white lens on it)
11-12-2020, 01:23 AM   #6386
Veteran Member

Funky colored cameras could have an advantage, I think, if you are travelling in "unsafe" countries. Who would steal a camera in pink? Although, who knows, they stab you for five bucks. Plus, funky color = not serious = maybe you can take pictures where black cameras = pro = banned.
11-12-2020, 02:42 AM   #6387
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yucafrita Quote
I think, if you are travelling in "unsafe" countries. Who would steal a camera in pink?
Sounds like the sort of thing that some thieves would find very attractive as a trophy. But whether or not you deter the thieves, you might get some very different sort of attention

My understanding of the history of this is that back when most cameras had a lot of satin chrome, many reportage professionals, and some amateurs into street and candid, painted or taped over with black to make the camera less conspicuous. So then camera makers started offering their top-end cameras with a black option (eg Nikon F & F2). Then black became the standard for pro cameras (eg Nikon F3, Pentax LX). Thus black was/is regarded as the professional or serious colour, despite the fact that black things become hotter in the sun which is not good for its internals and film.

However, extreme telephotos were made in white from the mid-1980s when photo safaris became a thing (real or just wannabe), for a practical reason, to minimise the lenses heating up while you are waiting in the sun for the lions to show up.

I don't think the appeal for funky coloured cameras was ever expected by the marketing people to be more than from younger people who were not taking it too seriously. Hence the application to the entry level kit; but that market has gone to smartphones now. The optional return to silver finishes however is a different market from funky - the silver style, although now distinctive, is still conservative.
11-12-2020, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #6388
Pentaxian

I was in general not too fond of the funky colours on DSLR's, but I really liked the gun metal colour on the K-3 Special Edition (or whatever) that they released. I wouldn't mind if that became a (optional) standard colour on later cameras.
11-12-2020, 01:51 PM   #6389

QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
Hmmm, I guess this is a matter of taste, but I wouldn't want a camera in any other colour than black. I've heard plenty of photographers who wouldn't want their equipment to stand out; some of them even use black tape to mask the brand so that the camera becomes even less conspicuous (which of course only works up to the moment they put a whopping big white lens on it)
Well, red cars are to cops what red flags are to bulls. I drive a sports car and NEVER would buy a red one. That said, I believe bulls are color blind, but that doesn't debunk the myth.

Do appreciate all your reflections on Pentax's colorful cameras. I do envy those who managed to get the rare blue K-01's from France. I've talked to hunters who know photography, and the reason they give for all-black cameras is that silver could catch the light and flash so it alerts animals. No doubt true, but since most animals (that I know of) are color blind, that doesn't restrict the rainbow colors Pentax offered. Humans are another story. I have a friend who is a world-class cellist. She was disciplined for having a bright yellow case. It seems that they stack the cases at the back of the stage behind curtains and DEMAND black cases in the event that the material might fan open and reveal the cases--at least that's the reason given. Conformity, however, has never been my bailiwick. Given a chance, we tend to restrict our own freedom in order to present ourselves as "cooperative". Boooo.

It's interesting that silver and silver-striped lenses usually claim a premium price from collectors. I guess he rarity (and beauty) of those lenses is the driving force for that, however contradictory it appears on the surface of things.

I think characters like Iris Apfel are a credit to fun, independent thought , but the rise in international conservatism threatens even that innocent expression.
Fashion icon Iris Apfel on color, quarantine and her longtime partnership with UT - Entertainment & Life - Austin 360 - Austin, TX

Last edited by barefootdesigns; 11-12-2020 at 02:05 PM.
11-12-2020, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #6390
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Look on the bright side, no Sonys I had thought Sony was on the way to taking over the camera world.
No Fuji, Olympus or lumix either that means those makes not represented outnumber those brought to the course. For once we are part of the majority