Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2021, 01:19 AM - 1 Like   #6496
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kjfishman Quote
The K1000 are bullet proof and the ideal camera to learn the basics.
With some of these cameras approaching 50 years, I am always concerned for the teenagers bringing in their SLR's from the last century. But with the K1000, at worst it's only worn light seals or a battery cover oxidized closed. The crop of cameras in my current class are amazingly mint condition, with the exception of a Canon EOS 10s that has plastic just begging to age badly.

I do wish anyone would make a durable, affordable, manual focus, manual exposure, simple SLR (or TLR) again.

02-25-2021, 06:15 AM - 2 Likes   #6497
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
I do wish anyone would make a durable, affordable, manual focus, manual exposure, simple SLR (or TLR) again.
I reckon if Pentax did this it would outsell their DSLRs! :-)
02-25-2021, 06:58 AM - 3 Likes   #6498
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I uploaded this to my Facebook page yesterday, doing a little Pentax promoting with the following description:

QuoteQuote:
Ever wonder what dynamic is when talking about cameras? It's what saves your photo when you make a mistake! Not to be confused with high dynamic range (HDR) photography, which is a technique, dynamic range of the sensor describes how bright or dark an exposure can be while still retaining detail information. With low dynamic range, the top photo would never be anything more than shadows. With a good dynamic range, the color info is still captured, and able to be salvaged in some cases.

This was a test shot from the steel wool session I posted just before this, so nothing of importance was at risk. The top photo is straight out of the camera. The bottom was after some extensive editing in Raw Therapee (a free raw editor), followed up with Topaz Denoise (a paid dedicated noise reduction program). It's not something I would frame, but it would make a completely unusable photo at least somewhat presentable if it was a once in a lifetime event you want to save.

I must admit, even I was surprised at how well this turned out, but also shows just how well Pentax performs in this regard. This was shot on the K3 II, which isn't even their best for dynamic range.
I don't have a lot of followers, but maybe it'll accidentally influence someone some day.
Attached Images