Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2021, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #6556
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cameranorm Quote
Sounds like you are PHOTOGRAPHERS, not EQUIPMENT USERS!
Foo on those who think you take "Better" pictures with Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Sony.....whatever.
No one can tell what camera took a picture by looking at the picture!
I totally agree (unless it was a theta ) I actually like the colour science on canon and Olympus, the sharpness of Sony FF and pretty much everything my mates Nikon D7200 spits out. For me its not about the IQ, they are all excellent, its all about the process of making an image, and in that, Pentax is my perfect fit

06-29-2021, 01:11 AM - 1 Like   #6557
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was just shooting a passing steam train. The only other photographer was a guy with a mint black K30 and a DAL 50-200
06-29-2021, 02:19 AM   #6558
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Speaking of cameras in general: I frequent a nearby tourist trap/public park/cultural heritage monument kind-of-place at least twice per week and based on my observations (at least pre-Covid), the distribution was about 95% smartphones with the rest divided between entry-level Canons plus kitzoom and, interestingly enough, point & shoots rather than DSLMs. I by comparison tend to stand out like a sore thumb, more so when I take one of the push-pull telephoto lenses with me.
06-29-2021, 07:35 AM   #6559
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really enjoyed meeting with forum member 11GTCS on Saturday who drove to Topeka to attend the Thunder Over The Heartland Air Show

Last edited by aslyfox; 06-29-2021 at 07:44 AM.
06-30-2021, 12:45 AM   #6560
Pentaxian

I went plane spotting for an hour or so this week and saw plenty (20-30) of big FF DSLRs, but I was the only one with a Pentax (and shooting an MF lens). I believe I raised a few eyebrows.
06-30-2021, 12:34 PM - 3 Likes   #6561
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can hardly believe this thread has been alive for nearly eleven years and closing in on 7,000 comments. Just shows the popularity, pride and loyalty of Pentax owners and users. I know I have been shooting with Pentax for nearly three decades. I will continue to buy Pentax until the brand is no longer available and then it will be several more years before I buy another brand. So, I say to all the Pentaxians here, congratulations on your loyalty. May we all continue to maintain our preference and keep shooting.
06-30-2021, 12:53 PM   #6562
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
I can hardly believe this thread has been alive for nearly eleven years and closing in on 7,000 comments. Just shows the popularity, pride and loyalty of Pentax owners and users. I know I have been shooting with Pentax for nearly three decades. I will continue to buy Pentax until the brand is no longer available and then it will be several more years before I buy another brand. So, I say to all the Pentaxians here, congratulations on your loyalty. May we all continue to maintain our preference and keep shooting.
+1 to that... my Spotmatics go back to the early 1970s.

06-30-2021, 02:00 PM   #6563
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
I only officially joined the family nearly a year ago, but no plans on leaving either.
06-30-2021, 06:59 PM   #6564

I started with the K1000 in 1978 and I started digital in 2011 with the K100D, then the K200D and I now shoot with the K5sii I am not going anywhere soon thanks Pentax
06-30-2021, 07:25 PM - 1 Like   #6565

And I started with the K1000 in 1979, ME Super, then *istD in 20??, then the K100D, K5, K5iis and finally the K1. Still have them all, except the K1000, which was my high school’s.
Got a replacement K1000 to keep the collection going.
All of them still work.

07-03-2021, 09:28 AM   #6566
Pentaxian

I saw a man with a Pentax near the Oxford train station this afternoon. Compatibility with legacy kit was one of his motivating factors.
07-03-2021, 09:54 AM   #6567
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I saw a man with a Pentax near the Oxford train station this afternoon. Compatibility with legacy kit was one of his motivating factors.
The same for me. However, I am so glad that it worked out that Pentax satisfies my needs in other ways. Ergonomics especially. It is as if Pentax had designed their bodies for me. I have tried other brands and none quite do it for me like Pentax. Even though I do enjoy my Fuji stuff - for fiddling about with different lenses, getting a more natural look or B&W, street and travel, if I had to chose just one digital camera it would be either my K3 or KP. I spent much of today messing about with still life pictures. The combination of using the OVF and rear screen, was so much more pleasant with my K3 than my X-T1 (today I tried both as a comparison). And had I used flash it would have been even easier with the Pentax.
07-03-2021, 09:08 PM - 3 Likes   #6568
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I am not a camera expert. I returned to Pentax in 2014 because I acquired an ME Super in 1983, and had my old lenses, which were not the best lenses, but were very good for 4" x 6" photos. With Pentax I could buy a camera body, without lenses to get restarted. Then I started acquiring many lenses. And, later I acquired my dad's old Pentax M 50mm f/1.7, which is a very high quality lens. With all my lenses now, it would be uneconomical for me to go to another system.

Leica would be fun, and with high quality, but what a price tag. I am not sure the photos I view from my cousin with a $5,000 Leica Camera AG Leica Q2 are measurably better than Pentax, but they might be.

If I went to another system, it would be Nikon, or Fuji, based upon the people and the quality of posts on Flickr, I view. One of my friends on Flickr posts wildlife photos occasionally and I cannot imagine taking a wildlife photo of a bird in action, with my current setup, that comes close. But then, I have not set up on the Mississippi River to take such photos. Maybe I should give it a try. For sport photos and wildlife photos he uses the Nikon D500. For still life and architectural photos he uses the Nikon D750. His D500 wildlife photos are beyond amazing.

Pentax cameras as good for still life, portrait, and architectural photos. That said one of my favorite photos is my own sport photo taken with a K-5, and Tamron 18-250mm f/4.5. I cropped it, alot.

The photo was better than the result of the play.

Last edited by mroeder75; 07-03-2021 at 09:14 PM.
07-04-2021, 01:07 AM - 2 Likes   #6569
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One of my friends wants to get a camera (now that one can travel again) and is asking for recommendations. I'm gonna put the K-1 in her hands with the FA43 and let the magic work itself out
07-04-2021, 02:57 AM   #6570
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
If I went to another system, it would be Nikon, or Fuji, based upon the people and the quality of posts on Flickr .... Pentax cameras as good for still life, portrait, and architectural photos.
... and landscape above all, my own main interest, especailly with its weatherproofing.

I have no intention of changing from Pentax, I started with it in the film era, and as it happens modern Pentax kit is ideal for me too. Only Nikon would come close. Fuji don't do FF, Leica is bonkers expensive, Canon is too popular (I like to be different) and hate their customers, Sony ditto plus ethical issues. But my advice to anyone else entertaining the idea of changing systems is to wait and see. The industry is in a state of flux at the moment, with Nikon in financial trouble, Olympus are with new owners who will not be using the Olympus name indefinitely, and there are rumours of Sony, as a mass-market oriented company, pulling out of the niche and declining ILC market.

As for the technical quality of the photos that come out of all these brands, I don't believe there is any significant difference.