Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2399 Likes Search this Thread
07-12-2021, 06:27 AM   #6616
Pentaxian

Having bought 4x "brand new" Pentax DSLRs (+ 3x used ones) over the years, the only one I got my mits on before I bought it was the K-30 in a "Pentax-only fire sale" at the local Currys/PC World "superstore" - I tried, and really liked, it, and so bought it on the spot.

The other 3x brand new ones (GX10/K10D, K-5 & K-70) were all from internet sites (2 were "special New Year deals" from SRS in Watford, which was/is still a B&M store but I couldn't get there at the time), but only after having read a lot of reviews & comments - and none of those disappointed.

07-12-2021, 06:45 AM - 2 Likes   #6617
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just back from two weeks in Sicily. Didn't spot a single other Pentax user... Not much tourism yet though, and 90% Italians. Did get a few distinctly curious glances at my shiny new K-3 III Silver Premium Kit...
07-12-2021, 07:28 AM   #6618
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
If they were worried about ending up with an open-box copy, they could have done the old switch where they keep them all behind the counter, but one of them has been opened and is used for demos. If the customer bites they can just grab a fresh one. Of course in my case I'd be testing it, too.

Ah well, at the stage we're at now we're wishing there were still brick and mortar stores to go to.
Yes, possibly, although my recollection is that there was only the one Kx in the cabinet. So that may have been an issue, the only one they had. No idea.

We do still have a brick and mortar store, much diminished from the first time I ever walked in there (decades ago), but they don't and never have sold Pentax. At one time they carried a few Pentax-compatible accessories, but nowadays they don't unless it's completely generic stuff like bags, straps and the like.
07-12-2021, 07:46 AM   #6619
Veteran Member

My experience was similar. The last camera shop in my area stocked a couple of Pentax lenses, but that was it. I went in there one day to look at accessories, and I saw one of those little plastic diffusers that clips onto the hotshoe to diffuse the onboard flash. I had ordered a set from Ebay for less than $5, but I was curious so I asked how much they were. When he said $40 I just stared blankly. And that was the last time I went to a camera shop. They went under maybe a year later. There are a few around in other towns but it would be a pain for me. Happily, I found what I need this year on the marketplace forum. I try to buy everything used now, even camera bodies. It's the people who don't yet really know what they want and need who suffer most from the lack of surviving B&M stores.

07-12-2021, 11:50 AM   #6620
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I got my used K3 the camera shop had it hidden in a drawer I was fine with that as I got it cheap . To be fair though the next used Pentax they had was on display.
07-13-2021, 01:28 AM   #6621
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Just back from two weeks in Sicily. Didn't spot a single other Pentax user... Not much tourism yet though, and 90% Italians. Did get a few distinctly curious glances at my shiny new K-3 III Silver Premium Kit...
Any other in-the-know Pentaxian would surely have approached you to have a look if he realised what the camera was. If I'd been around you'd spot me easily as the one drooling
07-13-2021, 05:41 AM   #6622
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Any other in-the-know Pentaxian would surely have approached you to have a look if he realised what the camera was.
True. I think most were wondering whether it was digital or not. One local photographer in a Palermo park shouted something about pellicola (=film) to me in Italian, but since my Italian is near non-existant (and he didn't speak any other language) I didn't catch what he wanted to say...

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
If I'd been around you'd spot me easily as the one drooling
I'll keep that in mind should I ever be in Madrid

08-02-2021, 03:49 AM   #6623
Pentaxian

The week before last I spotted a fellow K-3 user at the Oceanografic in Valencia. I didn't get a good look at the lens but my best guess was a Tamron super-zoom.

I hadn't seen any other Pentax users for ages, but then I hadn't been anywhere for ages.
08-02-2021, 08:13 PM - 7 Likes   #6624

Pentax photogs ..

Using my "pre Pentax Pentax, I shot this young fellow with his MX and SMC 50/2 .

My 'pre Pentax Pentax' is an sixty seven year old AsahiFlex IIb with a Takumar 58/2.4 and,
aside from the camera being as old as I am, it, also, takes photos without light leak

Cheers and, BTW, the photo of me and me Asahiflex was taken by @secondteamkyle

Jack
08-03-2021, 01:19 PM   #6625
Veteran Member

Does his shirt say “wooden spoon survivor?”

Good to see young people with such good taste in camera.

Saw a young guy in Grand Tetons National Park last year with a Pentax film camera.
08-03-2021, 03:11 PM   #6626

QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
This is a major obstacle to camera purchase for me. The closest B&M camera store is around two hours drive time, each way, for this rural town I'm in.
Imagine this. I am in Mexico and there are no stores carrying Pentax products that I know of within my city. The nearest place to buy Pentax (with luck) might be Laredo TX but we cannot go there for the time being (covid rules). So, the next best alternative for me, is internet buying in the USA. Also, prices are much better than in Mexico.

Thankfully, I'm complete for the time being, no need (¿wish? You bet!) to buy anything photography. At any rate, I am Pentax all the way and have been since 1978. No other brand tickles me.

Norberto
08-03-2021, 04:58 PM   #6627

QuoteOriginally posted by Lhorn Quote
Does his shirt say “wooden spoon survivor?”

Good to see young people with such good taste in camera.

Saw a young guy in Grand Tetons National Park last year with a Pentax film camera.
I believe it does and, in the No-Fun City (aka Vancouver, BC), there are more
young film users than, almost, old guys like me ... . I sold film cameras to
young folk that to other age groups

Cheers,

jack

---------- Post added 08-03-21 at 05:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by trevinon Quote
Imagine this. I am in Mexico and there are no stores carrying Pentax products that I know of within my city. The nearest place to buy Pentax (with luck) might be Laredo TX but we cannot go there for the time being (covid rules). So, the next best alternative for me, is internet buying in the USA. Also, prices are much better than in Mexico.

Thankfully, I'm complete for the time being, no need (¿wish? You bet!) to buy anything photography. At any rate, I am Pentax all the way and have been since 1978. No other brand tickles me.

Norberto
Good on you, Norberto

Cheers,

Jack
08-10-2021, 07:38 AM   #6628
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe not that rare

I was reviewing the current PetaPixel comments and the article about the market shares of camera sales for 2020 had a link to "Digital camera info" which contained the comment, "Although PENTAX is out of the graph display area, Ricoh seems to be doing well in its main business when looking at the report, so I would like you to push forward with the premium DSLR route." Maybe there is encouragement for Ricoh Pentax to move forward with more new DSLR research and development.
08-10-2021, 02:09 PM - 2 Likes   #6629
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Just got back from Union Station in Kansas City MO where I took photos of the Big Boy UP's 4014

while doing so, I saw many Canon and Nikon and cell phones being used

then I saw Lonnie

he was using b/w film with his ME Super and SMC Pentax-M 50mm F 2

I had my SMC Pentax-A 50mm F 1.2 on my K 3 III

as we talked, he was telling me it was hard to find film and I told him about the listing in the forums' market place for film for sale

he had not heard of the forums but said he would check it out
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-10-2021 at 02:17 PM.
08-10-2021, 03:20 PM - 1 Like   #6630
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Just got back from Union Station in Kansas City MO where I took photos of the Big Boy UP's 4014

while doing so, I saw many Canon and Nikon and cell phones being used

then I saw Lonnie

he was using b/w film with his ME Super and SMC Pentax-M 50mm F 2

I had my SMC Pentax-A 50mm F 1.2 on my K 3 III

as we talked, he was telling me it was hard to find film and I told him about the listing in the forums' market place for film for sale

he had not heard of the forums but said he would check it out
It is always a friendly gesture to inform others of this forum, especially other Pentaxians. Very nice of you to invite him in.