Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
11-26-2021, 06:24 PM   #6691
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shyrsio Quote
So the other day I was doing this interior shooting for an architect client, and the owner of the apartment comes by and curiously squints at the name up front of my K-1: "what kind of camera is this?", "its a Pentax" I said. "how come I've never heard of this brand?" he asked, and out of nowhere I go: "Oh that's because good cameras don't need to invest in marketing". he opened his eyes wide puzzled and turned away.
He suspected he was talking to an alien, or talking to himself in a dream !

11-27-2021, 10:18 AM   #6692
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So the other day I was doing this interior shooting for an architect client, and the owner of the apartment comes by and curiously squints at the name up front of my K-1: "what kind of camera is this?", "its a Pentax" I said. "how come I've never heard of this brand?" he asked, and out of nowhere I go: "Oh that's because good cameras don't need to invest in marketing". he opened his eyes wide puzzled and turned away.
Brilliant
11-27-2021, 11:12 AM   #6693
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax is the Tesla of the photography world
11-27-2021, 11:50 AM   #6694
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cometguy Quote
Pentax is the Tesla of the photography world
So nobody has heard of Tesla?

11-27-2021, 12:55 PM   #6695
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Brilliant
Or better... "Pentax...a very exclusive brand...not everyone qualifies to have one..."
11-27-2021, 05:57 PM   #6696
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Or better... "Pentax...a very exclusive brand...not everyone qualifies to have one..."
If you couple that with the intimidating look and the out of this world display mech, it makes sense. But what I think attracted him more was the fact that I was using the camera through my phone for better perceiving the angles.
11-28-2021, 02:04 AM   #6697
Pentaxian

If you couple that with the intimidating look and the out of this world display mech, it makes sense. But what I think attracted him more was the fact that I was using the camera through my phone for better perceiving the angles.
Thanks, that was a lovely story. Pentax, for those who know.

11-28-2021, 04:02 AM   #6698
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
Today, everyone has so much going through our minds on a daily basis we cannot take in and respond to it all. There is more information available in a large city newspaper today than most people gathered in a lifetime, four or five centuries ago.
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I disagree about that. Living closer to nature as many did means complete full on saturation of information and impressions. Much of which is important to your future and well being.
I believe you are both correct. People in older times were much more aware of their surroundings and environment, which enabled them to survive much harsher living conditions. Having read Jared Diamond, this also appears to be true of primitive societies still existing today. What we receive today through a newspaper (or Online) is of a much broader spectrum of knowledge than what would have been available even a few decades ago, but the detail of living is lost. Should the SHTF most of us would perish as we lack basic knowledge and skills to survive. Most of this broad knowledge is actually immaterial to our day to day existence and what is material is hard to discern from the noise. As a consequence it is my opinion we pay little real attention to it and just carry on as normal. The caveat I would put on this is the assumption that what we receive by way of news and opinion pieces as 1. accurate and timely, 2. has context and 3. is relevant, often important stories are not published but unimportant ones are. I am mindful of the original reporting of The Titanic sinking by The London Times in 1912. The paper initially reported few casualties and most passengers and crew survived. Whilst the story was of a tragedy and of great interest it was inaccurate until later corrected and largely irrelevant considering the gathering of the storm clouds of war. Precious little has seemed to have changed in the media industry since then except for technology.

Last edited by richard0170; 11-28-2021 at 04:23 AM.
11-28-2021, 09:58 AM   #6699
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
The Titanic sinking by The London Times in 1912.
later corrected and largely irrelevant considering the gathering of the storm clouds of war. Precious little has seemed to have changed in the media industry since then except for technology.
I just learned yesterday of MV Wilhelm Gustloff. About 9,400 people died, which makes it the largest loss of life in a single ship sinking in history.

It was largely not reported because of the ending of WW2.
11-28-2021, 11:03 AM   #6700
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax" I said. "how come I've never heard of this brand?" he asked.....he opened his eyes wide puzzled and turned away.
QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
So nobody has heard of Tesla?
Anyone who has never heard of Pentax is either very young, a new photographer, or is lying as a passive aggressive put down. At best, his comment and actions deserve a good chuckle.
11-28-2021, 11:34 AM   #6701
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Anyone who has never heard of Pentax is either very young, a new photographer, or is lying as a passive aggressive put down. At best, his comment and actions deserve a good chuckle.
True

11-28-2021, 04:56 PM   #6702
Pentaxian

Anyone who hasn't heard of Pentax didn't do any research before buying a camera. Their opinion is worthless from that alone.
11-28-2021, 05:30 PM - 1 Like   #6703
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wouldn't be so hard on non-Pentaxians. For one, it makes you out as some sort of elitist, which won't convince anyone to look into the brand. Besides, it's hard to really find those niche quality products like Pentax, and harder still to find worthwhile info about them due to the flood of other brands heavily promoted. Even if you get through all that, the average Joe isn't going to be very concerned about weather sealing and consider it wasted money.

You also have to understand that Canikon's massive market share means greater community support between users. This actually being one of the reasons my wife is hesitant to buy into Pentax. Even with having me literally right by her side as a somewhat experienced Pentax user and this forum as a great resource, she said she'd still lean towards Canikon because it's what everyone in mommy groups and such use. I did point her to the current K70 raffle going on now, but she isn't sure if she'll want to enter. So even the prospect of a free camera isn't enough to sway into Pentax for some people.
11-29-2021, 12:03 AM   #6704
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
I wouldn't be so hard on non-Pentaxians. For one, it makes you out as some sort of elitist, which won't convince anyone to look into the brand. Besides, it's hard to really find those niche quality products like Pentax, and harder still to find worthwhile info about them due to the flood of other brands heavily promoted. Even if you get through all that, the average Joe isn't going to be very concerned about weather sealing and consider it wasted money.

You also have to understand that Canikon's massive market share means greater community support between users. This actually being one of the reasons my wife is hesitant to buy into Pentax. Even with having me literally right by her side as a somewhat experienced Pentax user and this forum as a great resource, she said she'd still lean towards Canikon because it's what everyone in mommy groups and such use. I did point her to the current K70 raffle going on now, but she isn't sure if she'll want to enter. So even the prospect of a free camera isn't enough to sway into Pentax for some people.
I completely get it. Some people want peer support and there is the odd nice camera out there but they are big. Newbies at my photographic society buy canon which is ironic. the people who are prepared to mentor them and who's work they aspire to all shoot different brands. I like the 90D but you can say 90D til you are blue in the face and they will go and buy a 900D which is horrible! You could understand people buying Fuji over Pentax because they are a great price, are cool and are current, but people still choose canon because it is the one they have heard of and Curry's sell it in the electrical warehouse, which is quite possibly the worst reason to buy into a system.
11-29-2021, 02:57 AM   #6705
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
... but people still choose canon because it is the one they have heard of and Curry's sell it in the electrical warehouse, which is quite possibly the worst reason to buy into a system.
Hear! Hear! Thankfully Curry's seem to be deserting cameras. Every time I get dragged into one of their stores by SWMBO to look at white goods I find myself being drawn to the (diminishing) photo section. At some point they will cut their losses and not provide the customer with zero or bad advice from a poor selection.
I can't think that many people buy their cameras from such places anymore. Most folk are not even interested in cameras, finding their smartphones more than adequate for what they need. If anyone asks me for advice nowadays on what to buy, I never recommend any particular brand. I would not want to say "buy Pentax or Canon or whoever" as I can not be sure that the system will still be current in 5 years time. I just ask what's your budget and what do you want to take pictures of? Usually they might know the answer to the first question but rarely the second. If so I say "just stick with your smartphone". For those whose express a greater interest I always recommend they try and find a local camera store where they can try out some second hand models which best suits them and get some knowledgeable advice. Luckily there are a few not too far away from me currently.
I have come to accept that as camera/photo enthusiasts we are now in a small select group of nerds. As a Pentax user (and fan I suppose), I feel I belong to a very privileged sect of cogniscenti! Joking aside, I am glad I chose Pentax when I went digital seriously in 2015. The alternatives at the time of Canon and Nikon would have been bad news for keeping a system up to date, as it looks likely that they will abandon their old mounts and who knows what else in the foreseeable future. I really liked some of the Canon offerings at the time but as I had some legacy K mount and no EF glass it was Pentax for me.