Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2011, 06:27 AM   #661
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by A-z Quote
Nice find! I paid 30 for mine!
Portobello seemed to have a fair amount of Pentax and other nice old gear on the Saturday, spitafields i didn't really see any Pentax but there was some tempting old rangefinders and other assorted stuff (though i may not have been on the best day, did manage to pick up a nice vintage leather jacket though for a fair price)

04-11-2011, 06:33 AM   #662

maybe i should wait until a visit to london to get a filmcam!
04-11-2011, 06:38 AM   #663
Loyal Site Supporter

there are plenty of good film cams around, the outdoor markets in london seem to have a fair bit of stuff. i imagine the boot sales out in the countryside are even better

over here i hunt junk shops and flea markets same idea (rarely do i pay more than $25 so far for anything in this vein - aside from my medium format stuff)
04-12-2011, 12:00 AM   #664
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ardentartichoke Quote
maybe i should wait until a visit to london to get a filmcam!
I have a SP500 that I'm probably going to be getting rid of.

04-12-2011, 09:39 PM   #665

QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
I have a SP500 that I'm probably going to be getting rid of.
I'm not exactly sure what model I want yet, but please do PM me when you decide to sell!
04-12-2011, 11:48 PM   #666
Veteran Member

Will do! It's hard to just get rid of everything when I know how well its been taken care of.. all documentation including the old punch card warranty serial number card, manuals for the body, lenses and filters, old pentax catalog.. everything well kept except the bag it came in was starting to peel.
04-13-2011, 10:35 AM   #667
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dmfw Quote
A real life scenario. (for me)

Its 10AM. Your camera is broken, gone, crushed, etc. You have a shoot at 5 PM.

Can you buy a replacement Canon or Nikon body at a local store?

Yes, if you live in a larger city (Ex from Best Buy, Target, or Walmart)

For Pentax or Sony, the answer is maybe, if you are lucky, or most likely no.
Well, for people who live by credit cards and can't cover their own backups, that's an advantage of sorts...

If you've got gigs that are paying *that* much, the option to drop six or seven hundred on a D50 and kit zoom or whatever is kind of open to anyone. Personally, my backup is at *the least* tucking an ME Super body in the bag. If not running home for Mamiya and/or the Canon kit and the brick of Tri-X in the freezer. ('Hey, it's your lucky day, you get old school tonight, clients,' )

If you're talking just digital, a soon-to-be-third-generation back d300 for backup *still* costs what upgrading my primary to a K-5 probably would. I could back *myself* up with another K20d or maybe a K-7, or a K-x, for the price of one of those K-mart specials.

Pro services are *nice,* but mostly for *big* kit that constitutes real overhead, like a several-grand lens or a several-grand body. I mean, yeah, you never know what might happen, but you pays your money and takes your choice. While it's certainly *nice* to have replacements, the fact is it's not worth shooting a lower grade of machine for the same money *all the time* just so you can potentially spend that money *twice* on what isn't what you want to be shooting in the first place.

It's not to say there aren't reasons I *might* go Nikon (with at least an FE tucked in my bag) if I were taking certain kinds of gigs and could afford it to begin with, but what Wal-mart has on offer sure wouldn't be a deciding factor in the equation.
04-13-2011, 09:46 PM   #668
Veteran Member

More on this.. Chances are if you shoot Pentax you probably know a few others in your community or short drive away who also do. Borrow a body take 30min or so to get aquainted to it and go shoot and do your best! Any half decent human being/photographer that you know would lend or at the worst rent you their gear especially for a paying gig for the day... Hell if worst came to worst you could probably find about 20-30 mommies with a T1i or T2i and basic Kit lens that could at least take half decent shots if you were in a total bind.

04-14-2011, 04:24 AM   #669
Loyal Site Supporter

Realistically if you are being paid you should have backup (i had my ds to backup my k10 now the 10 backs up the k7
Aside from that i could shoot film
However a rental for when i need specialty big lenses i cant justify the cost on is another story
Right now if i need big fast glass i have to rent a body batteries etc along with the lens
Then try and shoot with an unfamiliar system

Last edited by eddie1960; 04-14-2011 at 06:24 AM.
04-14-2011, 05:56 AM   #670
Pentaxian

I have an announcement to make.

Yesterday, I gave birth to a new Pentaxian. Well, I didn't give birth, but I did turn someone into a Pentax user by selling my K-x to him. It's his first DSLR, and he wanted to know how to take sports photos (of his kids), so I showed him Tv mode and multiple exposure shooting.
04-14-2011, 07:37 AM   #671
Forum Member

I see a lot more Pentax users outside the US, and if seen around these parts (Alaska) its west euro tourist, or a student with a K1000. Still cant beat that camera to learn on. But here I am ten years on, still learning on it....
I second the garage sale comments. Pentax lens compatibility is the easiest. Much more so that Nikon IMO.
04-14-2011, 06:32 PM   #672

I've yet to see another Pentaxian.
04-15-2011, 04:35 AM   #673
Inactive Account

ask a canon or nikon pro photog...most of them have high praises for the Pentax brand...

but ask an ordinary person who owns a canon o nikon..they are the ones who bad mouth Pentax..thinking that by owning a nikon or canon makes them a "photographer"....
04-15-2011, 05:50 AM   #674
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jonp3 Quote
ask a canon or nikon pro photog...most of them have high praises for the Pentax brand...

but ask an ordinary person who owns a canon o nikon..they are the ones who bad mouth Pentax..thinking that by owning a nikon or canon makes them a "photographer"....
Very very true!!!

Most of my Canon and Nikon friends really dig my Camera's and Lenses, trying them out, etc. but all are so deep into their systems that changing is not practical. the only Pentax users I know in my area are the ones selling their equipment
04-15-2011, 06:29 AM   #675
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dmfw Quote
A real life scenario. (for me)

Its 10AM. Your camera is broken, gone, crushed, etc. You have a shoot at 5 PM.

Can you buy a replacement Canon or Nikon body at a local store?

Yes, if you live in a larger city (Ex from Best Buy, Target, or Walmart)

For Pentax or Sony, the answer is maybe, if you are lucky, or most likely no.
If you are shooting with a brand new, untested body you just picked up at Target, your professionalism has suffered a bit as well.

With any camera brand, known, tested backups are a necessity.