Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2021, 12:45 AM   #6751
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I checked the prices of my stylus,, almost double what I sold it for. Darn! I have a Fuji xe1, maybe get an xf 27mm?
Yes. The original s/h is very good value. The newer one with the aperture ring and WR is nicer ergonomically, but the difference in price is hard to justify for me as I already have the original. A good alternative if you don't mind MF though is Meike's 28mm f2.8 which should only cost around £50 new. The advantage the Meike has over the Fujis is the filter thread is a normal 49mm, which means finding a polarizer is easier to source and in my experience the larger polarizer performs better. Also a DA 40mm lens hood fits the Meike perfectly, though there are now similar style ones available for the 27mm. The Meike is also good optically and unlike its longer siblings like 35mm and 50mm has a proper accurate hard focus stop at infinity.

12-08-2021, 12:53 AM   #6752
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
Yes. The original s/h is very good value. The newer one with the aperture ring and WR is nicer ergonomically, but the difference in price is hard to justify for me as I already have the original. A good alternative if you don't mind MF though is Meike's 28mm f2.8 which should only cost around £50 new. The advantage the Meike has over the Fujis is the filter thread is a normal 49mm, which means finding a polarizer is easier to source and in my experience the larger polarizer performs better. Also a DA 40mm lens hood fits the Meike perfectly, though there are now similar style ones available for the 27mm. The Meike is also good optically and unlike its longer siblings like 35mm and 50mm has a proper accurate hard focus stop at infinity.
I wondered about the meike. That is a genuine option. I have the kit zoom for the xe1 and adapters for all my k and m42 mounts but they mean it isn't pocketable. The Fuji is a bit of fun, a foray into mirror less but it will never replace Pentax, that's why its budget is low
12-08-2021, 02:03 AM - 3 Likes   #6753
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Spotted this on the Peak design website promoting their wrist strap:

I take this to be an early Pentax ME from the 1976 era. The later Pentax ME super doesn't have a silver shutter release or the AOG symbol on the prism.
12-08-2021, 02:29 AM   #6754
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Spotted this on the Peak design website promoting their wrist strap:

I take this to be an early Pentax ME from the 1976 era. The later Pentax ME super doesn't have a silver shutter release or the AOG symbol on the prism.
Yep, ME, just double checked mine. You can see the engraved "E", followed by empty space. The ME Super also has a "bump" on the top plate between the shutter button/mode dial and the pentaprism housing, to accommodate the shutter speed buttons. The ME has a flat top plate like this one.

On an unrelated note, lovely shutter sound on the ME. I should finish running that roll through it and testing if it actually came out well

12-08-2021, 06:14 AM - 1 Like   #6755
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wondered about the meike. That is a genuine option. I have the kit zoom for the xe1 and adapters for all my k and m42 mounts but they mean it isn't pocketable. The Fuji is a bit of fun, a foray into mirror less but it will never replace Pentax, that's why its budget is low
Be careful. Be very, very careful. I went down this path two and a half years ago with just such a thought - it's only an experiment. "That Xpro 1 and 27mm is not very expensive." I said to myself. Several cameras and lenses later.........It is a very steep and rocky path you are entering upon my friend as far as your bank balance goes :-)

If it is of any help here is how I have finally rationalised my Fuji system after several experiments:-
X-E3 only used with Fuji 27mm or Meike 28mm
First X-T1 body and battery grip only used with 35mm WR f2
Second X-T1 body and battery grip only used as a 3 lens outfit of 7artisans 12mm, Vitrox 23mm and Viltrox 56mm
X-H1 only used for having experimental fun with manual lenses.

The X-E3 was a difficult decision. I nearly kept my X-E2s instead. I am still not entirely convinced I made the right choice. The rational was that the X-E3 is smaller whereas the X-E2s is not much smaller than an X-T1. The X-T1 is my favourite body of all the Fuji ones hence the reason for two of them. For me personally it has the best ergonomics and even with the battery grip attached it is still light and relatively compact. The later X-T models have grown in size and weight. I needed the X-H1 for its IBIS for long telephoto use but I am not a fan of it otherwise.

Like you, Fuji can never replace my Pentax stuff. For my planned, considered use the K1 ii is king. There is some crossover between the X-T1's and my KP and I tend to grab either depending on what mood I am in. Do I intend to shoot colour? Yes, then it will be the KP. No, B&W, then the X-T1. Not sure, I might grab either. I keep the XE3 for ultimate compactness and discretion when required. Even looking through a small dim APSC viewfinder is a nicer experience than an EVF IMO, but there are arguments for an EVF which are very sound. I find I prefer to use Pentax if I am going to use MF lenses and Fuji for AF ones. I prefer to use my K3 for close up work. I would not want to be without either system.
12-08-2021, 12:58 PM   #6756
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Be careful. Be very, very careful..
I actually lolled. That rabbit hole is massive
12-08-2021, 07:09 PM   #6757

no it was my rubbish typing. I have edited the post.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

12-08-2021, 08:05 PM - 2 Likes   #6758

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
I've read the "pros dissing Pentax" thread and had a bit of a laugh.
Are we really that sparse out in the world?
Not all pros are dissing Pentax. Within my close circle in Paris, we are 4 working on 645Zs. Three of us are between 30-40yo. The 4th is older and not really Working . His camera is on a local website waiting for a buyer since 2020.
It's more Ricoh Imaging dissing pros here. Not having good support , nothing special done for or around the pros. for examble it takes 2 months changing a shutter on a K1. I see all the big profesionnal shops here dumping Pentax for the same reasons. There are only 2 100% pro for pros stores left that keep distributing Pentax. And one offical store.
There's no clear brand ambassador program (we're 3 good shooters, pretty succesfull, pretty good, pretty well followed, we never had any return when asking for some parnership - 2 of us called Ricoh, emailed, instagrammed -and zero replies - and we never asked for anything in return, we were ok to do stuff for free) , it seems to me it's more a marketing strategy problem and a lack of support for serious and visible Ricoh / Pentax shooters on whom the brand could rely for more positive impact.
12-09-2021, 03:50 AM   #6759
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax is doing pretty ok in Japan when it comes to adverts, ambassadors and stuff like this. I suppose support too. It just seems that they are not interested in expanding outside so they do not really care. They had some "ambassadors" talk about K-3 Mk III but compared to what was going on in Japan it all looked pretty miserable.

And I kinda understand them. They are lost brand, forgotten or mentioned only in jokes in Europe and US so expanding seriously and to pro level means starting almost from zero. That would take too much money and time and I suppose they do not have either.
12-09-2021, 05:16 AM   #6760
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
Pentax is doing pretty ok in Japan when it comes to adverts, ambassadors and stuff like this. I suppose support too. It just seems that they are not interested in expanding outside so they do not really care. They had some "ambassadors" talk about K-3 Mk III but compared to what was going on in Japan it all looked pretty miserable.

And I kinda understand them. They are lost brand, forgotten or mentioned only in jokes in Europe and US so expanding seriously and to pro level means starting almost from zero. That would take too much money and time and I suppose they do not have either.
I think Pentax are still relatively known and respected in the UK and in France but beyond that it's anyone's guess. Here in Spain they're very rare and retailers are few.
12-09-2021, 05:32 AM   #6761
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I think Pentax are still relatively known and respected in the UK and in France but beyond that it's anyone's guess. Here in Spain they're very rare and retailers are few.
I don't think I've ever seen any Pentax in store in Spain. In Germany, the local big box store had a K-70 and some kit lenses (plus Sigrons in K-mount) back then. Not anymore - the Pentax vitrine has been taped over with a DJI sticker...
12-09-2021, 10:46 AM   #6762
Pentaxian

I actually lolled. That rabbit hole is massive
This is how I ended up with an overflowing lens cabinet filled with "oh this one's cheap" M and K lenses. I'm not parting with any, but I don't think I need all 10 of them....

More on topic, I'm looking at how the GR has online promotion through ambassadors, videos, events.
RICOH GR Photography - YouTube
I don't know if it is the camera and its following that suits the GR, but I'm not seeing the same from Pentax, most video titles are in Japanese. To be fair, the GR youtube states it's run just for Europe, but at least it's English so there's less of a barrier. If it's a camera brand that goes for the ineffable, and broad physical store presence is harder and harder for all camera makers (and the stores), at least have something approachable online?
RICOH IMAGING - YouTube
12-09-2021, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #6763
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by phat_bog Quote
Not all pros are dissing Pentax.
It's more Ricoh Imaging dissing pros here. Not having good support , nothing special done for or around the pros. for examble it takes 2 months changing a shutter on a K1. I see all the big profesionnal shops here dumping Pentax for the same reasons.
This is a huge factor for pros. To have the confidence and assurance that if your gear fails, the company has your back. Logistically, it is problematic for a smaller brand like Pentax, and it's a big reason why pros tend to go with the big names.
12-10-2021, 12:26 AM - 1 Like   #6764

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote

Problem is their Europe HQ are right here (near, i mean in really close suburbs) of Paris, France. (20min drive from my home and studio in Paris, 10km away).

Ricoh Imaging Europe has a pretty big and nice building, and, as stated on linkedin, +500 employees here.
Paris was, is, and always will be a capital city for photography with worldwide impact.
This must also be one of the many reasons why the company's headquarters for Europe is here.

So why parisian pros suffer from the lack of support or bad support for their Ricoh Imaging gear it's a bit strange, isn't it?
12-10-2021, 05:07 AM   #6765
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I don't think I've ever seen any Pentax in store in Spain. In Germany, the local big box store had a K-70 and some kit lenses (plus Sigrons in K-mount) back then. Not anymore - the Pentax vitrine has been taped over with a DJI sticker...
I know of only one here in Madrid that has Pentax products in stock. There's a place near my work which primarily sells online but you can go there to pick up ordered goods though it's not a shop as such, more a front desk for their warehouse.

When I was looking into my first DSLR I picked up a Pentax in a big electrical chain shop and that, more than anything, is what got me into Pentax. Since then I remember seeing a small amount of gear in a similar shop but that was perhaps five or six years ago now.