Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2399 Likes Search this Thread
06-18-2022, 08:39 AM   #6841
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
DSLR: 26 Mirrorless: 2
Interesting numbers. Does the preponderance of DSLRs simply reflect their relatively lower cost, e.g., 'entry-level' DSLR kits are still fairly inexpensive compared to mirrorless systems?

- Craig

06-18-2022, 10:51 AM   #6842
Pentaxian

The question on my mind, Trey, is why do you have Canons and a Nikon in the first place?

;-)
06-18-2022, 12:33 PM - 3 Likes   #6843
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Summer School Digital Photography tally:

DSLR: 26
Mirrorless: 2 (Nikon V1 and Fujifilm XT-1)
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Does the preponderance of DSLRs simply reflect their relatively lower cost, e.g., 'entry-level' DSLR kits are still fairly inexpensive compared to mirrorless systems?
I think there are several reasons in my class I am seeing more DSLR than mirrorless:

a) I email the students and parents in a couple months before the class starts. My email explains why I believe the DSLR is better for the class, although I give them the option for mirrorless. Students and parents, in most cases, read the email and understand the pros of a DSLR that I explain for someone beginning and learning photography.

b) Most of the student cameras belong to a relative or a friend. There are more idle (not being actively used by the family or friend) DSLRs than mirrorless.

c) I emphasize the importance of lenses. Most with DSLRs have multiple lenses. Most with mirrorless have only one lens.

d) Most teenagers hate sticking out from the peers. Not that they are sheep, but their post tweenage egos aren't confident enough to be different and use the only non-Canon/Nikon or non-DSLR in the class.

e) The grapevine (or in Hawaii the coconut wireless), especially in this age of social media is very active. The DSLR users see how much extra time I have to help the mirrorless to try to navigate controls on the much smaller cameras with less buttons, knobs, wheels, etc.

Not to intentionally make a double meaning, but it makes me also think, not everyone wants to be mirrorless. But sometimes folks end up mirrorless due to their circumstances.
06-18-2022, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #6844
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think there are several reasons in my class I am seeing more DSLR than mirrorless:
Thanks for the additional points. Seems that you have a good understanding of that age group!

Best wishes for a great class this summer.

- Craig

06-18-2022, 01:38 PM - 2 Likes   #6845

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
The question on my mind, Trey, is why do you have Canons and a Nikon in the first place?

;-)
Because I'm a heretic.
06-19-2022, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #6846
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Trey45 Quote
Because I'm a heretic.
No worries, I have (digital) Canon, Nikon, Fuji, and many others in film.
06-23-2022, 10:56 AM   #6847
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was on airshow last week. Did not bough spotter tickt, but observed what the crowd had. Most often it was Nikon, few Canon. I think one Olympus, but not Fuji, Sony or, of course, Pentax. I exchanged pointers about our cameras with guy having Nikon Z7II, he was pretty impressed by feel of K-3/3, OVF and fact that 60-250 is so light and small

06-29-2022, 07:58 AM   #6848
Pentaxian

At Faunia (a local wildlife park) on Sunday I spotted a couple using a Pentax - it was a K-30, K-50 or K-70, I couldn't tell which. She was carrying the bag and he was using the camera.

Not a Pentax but a spotted a guy carrying a cheap film Nikon with cheap kit lens coming out of the local supermarket. I think it's only the second time in 16 years I've seen someone with a film camera in my neighbourhood.
07-10-2022, 01:07 PM - 4 Likes   #6849
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Walking around Koblenz Germany yesterday and spotted very few cameras. These were two Canons, one Nikon, and one Sony along with an unknown make compact. I also saw two bridge cameras which I thought were supposed to be extinct. I didn't see the make on the bridges, despite my best efforts.
I dated a Marcia Koblenz when in college. I wasn’t interested in cameras then (early 1960s) and Marcia wasn’t interested in me. 😊
07-24-2022, 10:49 PM - 3 Likes   #6850
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've seen some Pentaxians some years before the pandemic, but I haven't seen any Pentax user in recent years, and not many ILC cameras either. Ten years ago it was a pain in the neck to arrive early enough to take photos without having a bunch on photographers with tripod obstructing the sight. Now I'm often the only one with a camera at shooting locations, folks use their (crappy) phones for taking pictures. Finally I enjoy making pictures with a big camera on a big tripod with ND filters, making prints that no one online cares about except me enjoying framing them in wood frames under glass, looking at them in awe.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 07-24-2022 at 10:56 PM.
07-26-2022, 01:59 PM   #6851
Veteran Member

Blah, testing, testing, 1,2,3
07-27-2022, 01:13 AM - 1 Like   #6852

Et pourtant

En meeting aérien ce week end, j'ai été surpris de ne pas être le seul Pentaxien .
Et certains habitués de divers pays d'Europe et qui voient mes images de temps en temps ont étés surpris de constater que j'étais Pentax
Le couple K3/3 et 150/450 fait merveille du fait de l'AF nouvelle génération (qui serait bien d'insérer dans le K1 /3 à venir) Et avec le K1, ce même objectif produit des bijoux, surtout si l'AF capte la bonne zone !
08-21-2022, 08:53 AM - 3 Likes   #6853
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I may have convinced a friend to join the land of Pentaxians. He currently shoots with Canon if I'm not mistaken, but wants to upgrade to full frame. He was considering the 5D mk2 plus new lenses when I pointed out the K1. After looking into it, he couldn't believe what the K1 mk2 offered at similar (and sometimes cheaper) price. He sounds hooked on it now, and just needs to decide if and when he's ready to go through with the transition from APC-C to full frame.
08-21-2022, 09:48 AM - 2 Likes   #6854
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
I may have convinced a friend to join the land of Pentaxians. He currently shoots with Canon if I'm not mistaken, but wants to upgrade to full frame. He was considering the 5D mk2 plus new lenses when I pointed out the K1. After looking into it, he couldn't believe what the K1 mk2 offered at similar (and sometimes cheaper) price. He sounds hooked on it now, and just needs to decide if and when he's ready to go through with the transition from APC-C to full frame.
With the reports about Nikon and Canon limiting their productions and their prices, I am not surprised that some are leaning toward Pentax. The company has a good and solid reputation for quality lenses and cameras. Maybe it will make a comeback. I'd be happy to see that.
08-21-2022, 11:58 PM - 1 Like   #6855
Pentaxian

Whilst visiting Denmark for two weeks I spotted a couple of non-smartphone photographers. One was a fellow Pentaxian with a K-3; we had a small chat and as it turns out, he wasn't aware of the forum.