Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
08-24-2022, 01:16 AM   #6856
Veteran Member

At this moment, those with ILCs are rare. In 3 weeks of vacation in Italy, I didn't see any Pentax, except mine . Besides, I only saw a few DSLRs, most of them in Venice. Strange that although we are told that MLs are dominant, I have seen more DSLRs. However, taking into account the current trend on the photo market, I think that Pentax will become even rarer than before.

08-24-2022, 03:54 AM   #6857
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
At this moment, those with ILCs are rare. In 3 weeks of vacation in Italy, I didn't see any Pentax, except mine . Besides, I only saw a few DSLRs, most of them in Venice. Strange that although we are told that MLs are dominant, I have seen more DSLRs. However, taking into account the current trend on the photo market, I think that Pentax will become even rarer than before.
Mirrorless cameras are dominant in sales, not in the number of cameras that are out there being used. There are many, many more working DSLRs out there than there are mirrorless cameras.
08-24-2022, 05:18 AM   #6858

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Mirrorless cameras are dominant in sales, not in the number of cameras that are out there being used. There are many, many more working DSLRs out there than there are mirrorless cameras.
Yes - but in years to come as these DSLR's die - that'll change.

I was at a Nikon repair centre in the UK - not naming which one, and over the course of a conversation with another customer I heard that "Nikon won't supply new shutter units for D800 and D810" cameras. The D810 was still onsale in 2017. So - this tells us that parts/repairs on relatively recent top end cameras can no longer be actioned - and thus when it fails, you'll have very little choice left for DSLRs

I think this is a shame, but you can see the direction of change.

I called into a major UK retailer yesterday and all the cameras on display bar the D850 were mirrorless. The guy conceded the D850 was "the one" in the shop to buy but the big push from Canon/Nikon is mirrorless.

Pentax badly need to update the K1 to 45 or 60mp, and offer more than rebranded tamron zooms to really increase market share. The 645z is now being undercut by Fuji - and again Pentax have relied on a back catalogue of older lenses rather than newer ones to fully utilise what is actually the best DSLR body you can buy.
08-24-2022, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #6859
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I doubt Pentax wants to increase market share all that much, this would be pretty expensive with not much gain. They would be happy if they could get part of current DSLR userbase from Canon and Nikon, but I doubt there will be much effort there. I think Pentax abandoned thought of competing on professional market and targets enthusiasts that are, relatively, brand-loyal and appreciate offer that is different then mainstream.

That said, when I was lately photographing some trains, there were few other guys making photos, none has ILC. There were 1 Fuji compact and rest were phones. We talked a bit and they said that while they have cameras, for train spotting near station phones and small compact cameras are easier to handle and grab less attention while IQ is plenty enough for their uses. Sure, they checked my Pentax, appreciated OVF but still were really surprised that I did use it instead of my phone after I told them what phone I use, I think they thought I have some older with crappy camera.

Times are changing, soon this thread will be about photographers with ILC being rare

There was also a girl with JVC camcorder making movies of trains. That was surprise.

08-24-2022, 07:51 AM   #6860
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
We talked a bit and they said that while they have cameras, for train spotting near station phones and small compact cameras are easier to handle and grab less attention while IQ is plenty enough for their uses.
Lately I'm realising that, barring hikes or travel, the only thing I bring for street stuff is the K-1 with FA 43. The combo is just that good for everyday things... but it requires a bag or a belt or a sling, so when going for a walk with friends or whatever it's a hassle.

I'll probably end up ponying up for a GR IIIx just because it will move the carrying thoughts from "eh, probably not worth it" to "I mean, duh, obviously". The photos don't quite have the FA43's absolutely glorious look, but hey.

---------- Post added 08-24-22 at 07:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SFTphotography Quote
[...]to fully utilise what is actually the best DSLR body you can buy.
I'd add "for some types of photography".

Also, isn't a manufacturer supposed to supply spare parts for repairs at least for seven years after last manufacturing date? One would think Nikon is just relying on people not raising a fuss there. It's certainly an ugly move on their side
08-24-2022, 08:16 AM   #6861
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
soon this thread will be about photographers with ILC being rare
I thought it already was. Posts here do tend to mention what ILC cameras other than Pentax they see, if any. It's few enough
08-24-2022, 08:37 AM   #6862
Pentaxian

Seems like the writing is on the wall, and we're all being herded toward cell phones. So when's this ride gonna end?

08-24-2022, 08:52 AM   #6863
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Seems like the writing is on the wall, and we're all being herded toward cell phones. So when's this ride gonna end?
Personally, I'll stay on the DSLR ride and maybe try the film SLR again for a bit.
08-24-2022, 10:59 AM - 1 Like   #6864
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Also, isn't a manufacturer supposed to supply spare parts for repairs at least for seven years after last manufacturing date? One would think Nikon is just relying on people not raising a fuss there. It's certainly an ugly move on their side
I know one or two locations were trying to put that rule into place, but it's far from universal, would be extremely hard to enforce, have a negative environmental impact, and have a lot of wasted product. Even if such a rule was in place, I wouldn't be surprised if manufacturers just paid the fine instead, or stop doing business in that location all together.
08-24-2022, 11:07 AM   #6865
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I wonder. I am not glued to DSLR, not even ILC. I doubt phone could replace 60-250 DA* in range and quality, at least in foreseeable future. But for normal and wide lenses? Who knows.
08-24-2022, 11:10 AM   #6866
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote

I am not sure if the seven year requirement in Europe applies to cameras. It seems to be focussed on household appliances.

08-24-2022, 03:10 PM - 1 Like   #6867
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Let's face it ILC's or cameras of any kind are rare these days. Not so long ago, I was a bit worried about the future of Pentax, but stuck with them as I like the cameras. With the release of the K3 iii and the demise of Canon and Nikon DSLRs, I am glad I did. Repairs and servicing I am sure will become a problem down the road but it does at least look like a DSLR will be available new for some time to come, and in my favourite brand.

Apart from my massive film camera collection, I am wedded at present to two systems Pentax (K1ii, K3 and KP) and Fuji (X-T1, X-E3, X-H1). Each has their pros and cons, and I use whichever I deem best for the task in hand or as the mood takes me. For a while I had been concentrating on the Fujis, but lately I have picked up my KP and put an old M 35mm on it and am really enjoying the whole optical experience and the vastly superior colour performance (IMO anyway!) of the Pentax. Note that all my Fujis are "obsolete" models. Fuji no longer make a camera that I wish to own, though if mine all broke down and I could not source used ones again the X-T3 and X-T30 would be acceptable I suppose
08-24-2022, 11:11 PM   #6868
Veteran Member

I wonder. I am not glued to DSLR, not even ILC. I doubt phone could replace 60-250 DA* in range and quality, at least in foreseeable future. But for normal and wide lenses? Who knows.
The phones don't offer DSLR quality for any focal length, but for most, this superior quality isn't necessary. People prefer simplicity (not to process RAW files) and the possibility to immediately share pictures on the Internet.
08-25-2022, 12:23 AM - 2 Likes   #6869
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
have a negative environmental impact, and have a lot of wasted product.
Not quite, it's the opposite. Chucking perfectly repairable product into the landfill is what's negative.
08-25-2022, 01:25 AM   #6870
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
The phones don't offer DSLR quality for any focal length, but for most, this superior quality isn't necessary. People prefer simplicity (not to process RAW files) and the possibility to immediately share pictures on the Internet.
I rarely shot RAW on my K-3. It is actually easier to use RAW then shot SOOC. So I do not think SOOC offers more simplicity. At least not in case where one wants to use phone for serious photography.

As for quality - if you are photographing in good light and do not print big or pixel peep then there is no advantage of ILC over smartphones even in their current form. Of course with not enough light things change as computational photography is still far from reproducing long exposures without smudging details (I printed in-house made photo - it was terribly soft compared to same done with K-3). It depends for what you want to use camera.

Still, there are bigger and better sensors made for phone cameras and there is lots of advancement and experimenting with lenses going on. Phones are main field of technical and software innovation now when it comes to photography.

Anyway, we are going toward OT