Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
01-22-2023, 02:41 AM   #6976
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kjfishman Quote
We recently traveled to several ports in Spain and Morocco on a cruise. We did not see another Pentax camera and very few DSLR's of any brand. Seems people only are using their phones.
Yep, Pentax is a rare brand here though DSLRs can still be seen in many tourist spots, as can super-zooms. Phones are certainly the most used cameras though.

01-25-2023, 02:25 PM   #6977
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Yes, Iloilo is in the Philippines. It's in Region VI, Western Visayas. The video you showed is in Luzon in San Juan, Metro Manila. I think that was taken sometime 2014. I wish Pentax would get a good endorser and make a video showing the strength of its weather sealing.
Cool mate, good to know. Do you have that much Pentaxians on your side of the world, especially Pentax cameras are Made/Assembled in the Philippines?

Also, do you prefer a fully-WR kit in your side of the world? I know it's a pretty silly question but some tips are good coming from a local. I am pretty well-versed with weather-sealing and humidity but there may be some things I don't see. I am in Auckland and it's also got nasty humidity but we get 3 knots of wind at the lowest. Cheers.
01-27-2023, 01:33 PM   #6978
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
I am in Auckland
Weather sealing would have been great over the last 24 hours in Auckland...
02-20-2023, 07:29 AM   #6979
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I saw yesterday a Pentax in wilderness. It is just that it was... Spotmatic.

02-24-2023, 12:30 PM - 6 Likes   #6980
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Two in One Day

I've been in Japan for 3 weeks taking pictures. Saw a few Pentax's in the wild. Here's the best.

Standing shoulder to shoulder with other photographers taking pictures of the Snow Monkeys outside of Nagano.

It's cold, it's foggy from the hot springs and everyone who is taking pictures is manically focused on what's in their viewfinder.

Me too.

I bump shoulders with the guy next to me and go to apologize in my poor Japanese -- and we both start laughing.

Pentax! We both holler.

We are both shooting with K-1 II's. Both shooting 70 - 210 zooms. Just mine is manual and his is autofocus.

But wait, it gets better.

About 20 minutes later run into someone shooting with a Pentax 6x7 (film) and a Takumar 105 lens.

How fun is that!
02-24-2023, 10:42 PM   #6981
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JoelA Quote

I bump shoulders with the guy next to me and go to apologize in my poor Japanese -- and we both start laughing.

Pentax! We both holler.
How do you say Pentax in Japanese?
02-26-2023, 03:40 PM - 1 Like   #6982
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
How do you say Pentax in Japanese?
Pentakusu

02-27-2023, 05:26 AM   #6983
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Weather sealing would have been great over the last 24 hours in Auckland...
Thanks. I was in that deluge on 27 January 2023 when the streets became rivers. Naughtily, I still shot with the K-3 + 18-55mm WR outside when one drop of rain covered half the camera. It was still fun shooting.

QuoteOriginally posted by JoelA Quote
I've been in Japan for 3 weeks taking pictures. Saw a few Pentax's in the wild. Here's the best.

Standing shoulder to shoulder with other photographers taking pictures of the Snow Monkeys outside of Nagano.

It's cold, it's foggy from the hot springs and everyone who is taking pictures is manically focused on what's in their viewfinder.

Me too.

Pentax! We both holler.

We are both shooting with K-1 II's. Both shooting 70 - 210 zooms. Just mine is manual and his is autofocus.

But wait, it gets better.

About 20 minutes later run into someone shooting with a Pentax 6x7 (film) and a Takumar 105 lens.

How fun is that!
Mate, such experience is one for the books!
02-27-2023, 09:40 AM - 4 Likes   #6984
Pentaxian

I took my daughters to the zoo on Friday and toward the end of the day there was an older lady using a DSLR to shoot some of the animals. Once I got a better look I saw it was a Pentax with some kind of Sigma super-zoom: 18-200ish. I'm not sure about the camera model but it had a top screen.

I was using my K-3 and Sigma 105/2.8.
03-17-2023, 06:51 AM - 4 Likes   #6985
Pentaxian

Visited the National Museum of Transportation yesterday and only saw one person with a real camera. He was an older man shooting film with a Pentax ME. Talked to him for a few minutes and he said he has a big collection of Pentax film and digital cameras. He said he has a lot of film that he stores in the freezer to preserve it and develops it himself.
03-18-2023, 09:29 PM - 1 Like   #6986
Pentaxian

Went to shoot at the Paraw Regatta sail boat race this morning. I believe I was the only Pentaxian. Several Nikon, Canon, Fuji. I haven't spotted a Sony. I think there was an Olympus. Cellphones, well they dominated the game. Soon all ILC will be rare.
03-19-2023, 01:46 AM - 1 Like   #6987
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Went to shoot at the Paraw Regatta sail boat race this morning. I believe I was the only Pentaxian. Several Nikon, Canon, Fuji. I haven't spotted a Sony. I think there was an Olympus. Cellphones, well they dominated the game. Soon all ILC will be rare.
Surely mobiles with their predominantly wide angle lenses are a poor choice for most sailboat photography?
03-19-2023, 08:15 AM - 2 Likes   #6988
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Surely mobiles with their predominantly wide angle lenses are a poor choice for most sailboat photography?
My guess that the phones aren't for shooting sailboats, but for shooting the people who rode to the regatta in the car with you, and what y'all have for lunch...
03-20-2023, 04:20 AM   #6989
Pentaxian

During early morning, the sail boats are parked with their colorful painted sails. People would flock at this time to take pictures of the boats. Of course, this would include their selfies. I think most of them would take videos when the race started.

Last edited by totsmuyco; 03-20-2023 at 03:27 PM.
03-20-2023, 10:23 AM - 1 Like   #6990
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes. But the majority (vast?) were mainly just taking "we were here watching this happen" recordings not what I would call making photographs with the intent of producing an image of interest.

I realize there's not a perfect line here and the very same shot might well qualify as both at the same time some times (news shots in particular come to mind here), but there are clear differences between the two perspectives.