Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2011, 05:59 PM   #706
Forum Member

I am sure I saw an interview with the great Araki where he had a Pentax on his lap, also there is plenty of footage of him using a 67 in the Arakimentri film.

04-26-2011, 06:41 PM   #707

Photos: Albums
After doing my research and deciding to buy a K-5. I called into the UK's main camera retailers to get my hands on one. They had truck loads of CONS (Cannons, Olympus, Nikons, and Sonys) but not a Pentax in sight. The explanation I was given was that the other companies paid for the shop displays but Pentax had declined. So retailers only let shoppers see what camera manufacturers pay them to display, rather than simply offer a full range of cameras and allow us to decide. So much for the free market economy! I suppose that may go some way to explaining why we are a rare breed. Still they were good enough to order one in for me, but only because I declined all other offers, even for 'weatherproof' CONS.
04-26-2011, 09:55 PM   #708
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I went to the Formula Drift (2 weeks ago) and the Long Beach GP (last week). I saw 4 pentax total (including my red k-x)and none of them among the "pro"s.
The funny thing is that 10 people came to tell me how cool my camera was (and at least 4 asked me if I had painted it )
04-27-2011, 12:40 AM   #709
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
geekette, glad I could save you some cash!

I think I've run into maybe 2 Pentax shooters in person. And both were Asian. I'm Asian as well. I sold my K-x on craigslist to a guy. And when he showed up I was amused to see he was also Asian. I know Pentax is much bigger in Japan than the US. But is the US Pentax customer base skewed towards Asians for some odd reason?
Hrm I'm not sure, I'm caucasion myself. I'm pretty smart though.. perhaps that it.. I think Asians are just really smart

Btw, I want to take my pink K-X and put a 2 foot, 10" diameter lens on it to make the CaNikons shake their heads lol.

04-27-2011, 11:40 AM   #710
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ronniemac Quote
After doing my research and deciding to buy a K-5. I called into the UK's main camera retailers to get my hands on one. They had truck loads of CONS (Cannons, Olympus, Nikons, and Sonys) but not a Pentax in sight. The explanation I was given was that the other companies paid for the shop displays but Pentax had declined. So retailers only let shoppers see what camera manufacturers pay them to display, rather than simply offer a full range of cameras and allow us to decide. So much for the free market economy! I suppose that may go some way to explaining why we are a rare breed. Still they were good enough to order one in for me, but only because I declined all other offers, even for 'weatherproof' CONS.
paying for shop space is common in all retail. offsetting display costs, paying for end-caps, paying merchandising costs through rebates to the retailer etc. Unfortunately this means the smaller companies can't compete for prime space and ad space as it isn't in the budget. It probably started long before but i remember having a huge sony area and an equally huge panasonic area on the sales floor in the mid 80's. between them they would have been 60% plus of out sales with about 40% of the floor space
04-27-2011, 11:49 AM   #711
Veteran Member

A guy with a white K-x got me to take a photo of him and his girlfriend at Songzanlin Monastery in Yunnan a couple of months ago - but that was the only Pentax SLR I noticed in 10 weeks of travelling...
04-27-2011, 03:24 PM - 1 Like   #712

I am new to Digital SLR's. I ordered a KX this morning from B and H. It is refurbished but I am cool with that. I began researching cameras a few weeks ago and just assumed I would be buying. Nikon or Canon,but after reading and researching tons of cameras I decided the KX is exactly what I need. I wanted the KR but after looking at it the KX was still the right camera for me.

This is my first Dslr and my first Pentax. it will be here on Friday and I can't wait!

04-27-2011, 06:44 PM   #713
Veteran Member

Congrats Daniel. Good choice in camera as the image quality is even better than the $900 canon t3i. It's also better than the Nikon d3100. It's image quality is on par with the Nikon D90 which is like around $1000. I believe the D90 doesn't even take certain Nikon lenses and if it does can't meter through the glass like the K-X can with old manual focus lenses. Also the CaNikons less than $1000 don't have built in auto focus motor. Image stabilization is built into the lenses of CaNikons, so you don't get stabilization with older lenses like you do with the Pentax. Heck the pentax k-x can do image stabilization even with the old M42 lenses
04-27-2011, 07:03 PM   #714
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was watching a docco last night about a fella who, among other things rescues Whales off the coast of West Australia from fishing nets and ropes. He actually uses a long handled knife to cut away the detritus of the fishing industry from the whales fins and flukes .

The camera and lens he was using to take the photo's he needed to establish the entanglement was a Pentax (k20d I believe, didn't get a good look at the lens). I assume he needed the weather sealing to be able to use it at sea in rough conditions.

So there it was, a Pentax on TV!
04-27-2011, 11:06 PM   #715

Thanks Geekette for re-affirming my purchase! I did ALOT of reading and researching and am extremely glad with my purchase. I keep looking at my UPS tracking number every hour. I will have it by friday evening.

Here where I live in Idaho all of the DSLR's I have seen in the last year have always been a Nikon or Canon.
04-28-2011, 06:35 AM   #716
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Daniel77 Quote
Here where I live in Idaho all of the DSLR's I have seen in the last year have always been a Nikon or Canon.
That's not unusual, they have huge marketing power, and they have shelf space at every major bricks and mortar retailer. Sony probably get's the next biggest exposure because they can leverage their other market for shelf presence.
You made a good choice you'll enjoy the camera a lot. and being one of very few pentax owners locally when you come across old pentax gear at flea markets and garage sales you'll likely be able to get it for a song as there will be less of a market
04-28-2011, 08:00 AM   #717
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Daniel77 Quote
I am new to Digital SLR's. I ordered a KX this morning from B and H. It is refurbished but I am cool with that. I began researching cameras a few weeks ago and just assumed I would be buying. Nikon or Canon,but after reading and researching tons of cameras I decided the KX is exactly what I need. I wanted the KR but after looking at it the KX was still the right camera for me.

This is my first Dslr and my first Pentax. it will be here on Friday and I can't wait!
I went through the same process and came to the same conclusion about 9 months ago, and I don't regret it at all. Enjoy! After getting a bunch of other lenses, I have found that the kit lens is quite decent, particularly on the wide end.

I don't know how experienced you are with SLRs, but what really got me understanding how exposure works was getting a manual focus prime lens. Once you've settled into your K-x, I suggest picking up an SMC Pentax-M 50 f/1.4 for $50-$75 and enjoy! It's the best quality-to-price ratio you will find, period. If you have more funds, and prefer the autofocus option, you could grab a DA 35mm f/2.4 for about $190. I don't have that one, but I want it because I've seen a lot of photos and heard a lot of reports that are all great.
04-28-2011, 08:33 AM   #718
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dmfw Quote
An observation.

It is spring in Texas, and I have been out shooting flowers, trees, and bees. In shooing at public areas, where there are many other photographers, I have yet to see one other person carry a Pentax. It is about 75% Canon / 25% Nikon.

Also, I do not know of any pro., in my area, who uses Pentax over Canon/Nikon.

In fact, I may be all alone in Texas!
Nah, there are plenty of Pentax shooters in Texas. Several around here in Houston, plus some up in Dallas, and then scattered throughout the state. They're around.
04-28-2011, 08:35 AM   #719
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dmfw Quote
A real life scenario. (for me)

Its 10AM. Your camera is broken, gone, crushed, etc. You have a shoot at 5 PM.

Can you buy a replacement Canon or Nikon body at a local store?

Yes, if you live in a larger city (Ex from Best Buy, Target, or Walmart)

For Pentax or Sony, the answer is maybe, if you are lucky, or most likely no.
If you're a pro, you just pick up your backup camera and go shoot. If you're being paid to shoot, then you should invest in the proper equipment, regardless of brand.
04-28-2011, 08:58 AM   #720
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
If you're a pro, you just pick up your backup camera and go shoot. If you're being paid to shoot, then you should invest in the proper equipment, regardless of brand.
exactly, in fact you likely have multiple cameras in various formats so you can always use something