Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
08-07-2010, 03:30 PM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Yes, we are. Saw my first "other Pentax guy", after several years, just a couple weeks ago.
Quality not quantity

The other week , I stopped to take a wee shot of our distant volcano,
some crusty old bloke wandered over with a K20 round his neck.
I was shocked
We did a bit of bonding

08-07-2010, 04:28 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mickeyobe Quote
... I started with a canon FTbn and then used a T90 for 20 years before going digital with Pentax in 2005. ...
Yep, quite similar. Started with the FTb and then up to the F-1, which is still in my closet after umpty-hundred rolls of film shot.
08-07-2010, 04:44 PM   #63
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
But you are on a relatively small island.

I have ran into a few Pentax film users in Tallahassee but no dSLR. I have heard about a couple of people with K200d, but have never seen them.
08-07-2010, 06:30 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kytra Quote
Actually I have purchased my white K-x in November 2009 from BestBuy Orlando. It was the last though...
I've never seen Pentax outside of a very select few camera stores in Oregon. Most of the time if you ask at a camera store if they sell Pentax they say that the company made them send them all back.

Never seen one in a best buy or walmart.

08-07-2010, 07:04 PM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did a quick check of the Amazon top 100 for DSLRs, and if I combine the various kits for the different bodies, the K-x doesn't show up until #12. I didn't adjust, but the K-7 is #71, not very popular

Nikon D3000
Canon Rebel T1i
Nikon D5000
Nikon D90
Canon Rebel T2i
Canon XSi
Nikon D300s
Canon EOS 7D
Nikon D700
Panasonic DMC-GH1
Sony A330L
Pentax K-x
08-07-2010, 07:09 PM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
I've never seen Pentax outside of a very select few camera stores in Oregon. Most of the time if you ask at a camera store if they sell Pentax they say that the company made them send them all back.

Never seen one in a best buy or walmart.
You can only get them at the online walmart, which is walmart.com.
They never sell it on stores but they do sell it online.
08-07-2010, 09:03 PM   #67
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
I've never seen Pentax outside of a very select few camera stores in Oregon...
Who carries Pentax now in Oregon? Pro Photo used to, but had dropped the brand the last time I looked. Shutterbug also has dropped the brand. Advance Camera in Raleigh Hills will sell you a Pentax, but keeps no stock. Ditto for Knight Camera in Vancouver.

Steve

08-07-2010, 09:27 PM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As I posted elsewhere, After 10 days visiting the very crowded Disney World and other Orlando parks, I ran into ONE other Pentax, among hundreds or even thousands of cameras hanging in necks. And that's including film, P&S and DSLRs.
Grand total: 3 Pentax, of which 2 were mine.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/107540-pentax-market-share-where-you.html
08-07-2010, 10:11 PM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Who carries Pentax now in Oregon? Pro Photo used to, but had dropped the brand the last time I looked. Shutterbug also has dropped the brand. Advance Camera in Raleigh Hills will sell you a Pentax, but keeps no stock. Ditto for Knight Camera in Vancouver.

Steve
I remember meeting the Pentax rep at ProPhoto Supply a few years back but they did drop Pentax a year or so later. I've heard Fry's has some Pentax DSLR's, but I haven't driven there to double check to see if ours has them. I do remember seeing some old FA lenses in their lens case a couple years ago - I asked them if they were on clearance since they were so old.

But I do see a fair amount of Pentax users around... saw one at Bagby, Silver Falls and a few other places. By far the minority, but enough to remind me there are other Pentax users around.
08-08-2010, 12:27 AM   #70

I know someone who shoots Pentax but will change to Nikon soon!

Besides that, I only saw one other Pentax shooter, and it was during a parade, so naturally I looked at everybody's gears, and there were a lot, and only 1 Pentax!
08-08-2010, 01:19 AM   #71
G.T
Veteran Member

I have to agree.
I only own a couple of P&S, and not any (D)SLR, so I might be off topic here.

Most of my friends have P&S cameras. Some go for Canon, some others for Nikon. I know a couple of Olympus. I'm the only one of them running Pentax cameras.
Naaaa to be honnest, I know a girl which has an Optio S12.

But the brand itself keeps being well-known here, in France. I have two friends which are photo amateurs and really good at it. Last month I was with one of them, which just took an EOS40D (and has the use of it), we were talking about photography, and he told me this : "Pentax? Very good bodies, well built, simple to use and effective... but a pain in the back to get lenses".

The other one of them, I saw him last night. He does photography into a club, with many other enthousiasts and even runs in photo contests. He has a Canon, EOS550 IIRC. He told me there were no Pentax gear in his club, only Canon and Nikon - as usual I'd like to say. Yesterday he looked to my camera (Optio P80), and asked me its features. I showed him them, plus a bunch of pictures stored on the memory card (mind you I'm a bit messy, and the 4GB allows me not to wipe files after every shooting session), and he told me once again "it's little, it's lightweight, but well built. That's a nice camera".

To me, these two guys (which don't know each other) and what they think (they wouldn't be fooling me) worthes all the advices and remarks I could get.

And now I'm used to my cameras, I think it's a way to show my difference... and I consider Pentax as the "third big" in the leading of photography equipment (behind Canikon).

At least here, in France, I guess it remains a reconized brand for its quality and what it offers for its price, even if it's not massively used.
08-08-2010, 01:26 AM   #72
Forum Member

Rare and precious!
I'm the only pentaxian in my group of amateur photographers from Timisoara, Romania but I'm the chief moderator! and I'm feared by the others!
08-08-2010, 01:43 AM   #73
Veteran Member

last time I saw some Pentax shooters was last February during the Winter Olympics. as I was setting my camera and tripod along granville street inorder to get a shot of the crowd. little did I knew that I was with 2 other Pentax users, 3 of us lining up side by side with each of our cameras on a tripod doing the same thing. it's a rare occassion that you get a chance to see once in a while. and yes it was a great atmosphere. I guess we are just that rare that we seem to mind or greet each other and share a laugh. I can only imagine if they were CaNikon Users, I would had received a blank and mind your own business or go your own way treatment, which I see regularly with people shooting the same cameras.
08-08-2010, 01:55 AM   #74

On my trip down into the sub-antarctic I saw only 2 other Pentax shooters, one had the W80 and the other a *istDL. Most people who had DSLRs shot Canon (mostly Rebels, one or 2 50D's and a 7D), but I also saw 2 Nikon D40's, a D90 and a D200. The only pro had an Olympus E300. He shot mostly video though and had a massive camcorder for that.
08-08-2010, 10:52 AM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
I live in Ironbridge in the UK, it's a World Heritage Site and a huge tourist draw all year, in the summer it's packed out.

A few days ago I was walking through the town and there were three large coaches full of young Japanese tourists coming down the road towards me, and as the regulation for being a Japanese tourist requires they were fully loaded with the newest DSLR's money could buy.

I saw so many differently coloured KX's I lost count, and there were also a good amount of K7's.
Yes, they were seriously outnumbered by the CaNikons, but it was a significant amount of Pentax's.

Many of them were also in awe of my battered old K10 and the Industar 50-2 that was adorning it, the Pentax brand doesn't seem to be doing that badly.
In Japan, it is the other way round. More Pentaxes than Canikons . . .

I too started photography with a Pentax PZ-20 . . .

Last edited by felixkh; 08-08-2010 at 11:20 AM.