Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2011, 09:52 AM   #736
Forum Member

well considering some of them went from asking if i believe pentax would survive much longer, to being thoroughly impressed with the k-5 specifically its WR capabilities. I'll consider that enough of an achievement.

05-05-2011, 11:13 AM   #737
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LSPhotography Quote
well considering some of them went from asking if i believe pentax would survive much longer, to being thoroughly impressed with the k-5 specifically its WR capabilities. I'll consider that enough of an achievement.
At least they knew who Pentax was, i've run into a few who had no idea
the WR was one of the big things when i went to the K10, but i've been shooting pentax on and off for most of my life (and have shot most other brands at one point or another, and canon is the only one i wouldn't buy that is still made, they lost me when FD died)
05-05-2011, 11:28 AM   #738

Photos: Albums
Well, my relative (of whom I made pictures) owns a Olympus DSLR, and she said:"Well, we can't make pictures with my camera cause it's pictures are crap" So I said, that I can take pictures with my own camera and I would love to make pictures with it! And when she saw my camera she was like:" WOW, PENTAX and White one? Gosh I love it!" So yeah, she knew what is Pentax and she really was surprised that I had Pentax I guess maybe it's because she thought that Pentax was expensive or she thought that I can make pictures like this with my low-end Pentax Don't know but for me it made smile onto my face :P
05-06-2011, 01:29 AM   #739

Annemari, I just sent you a pm concerning your profession as a pentax saleswoman.

:-)

05-06-2011, 09:23 PM   #740
Veteran Member

Today I was at the annual arts & crafts fair in Taos NM. Saw one guy with some little Nikon dSLR. Saw a young guy with some FF dSLR that he kept tucked into his folded arms so nobody could see or steal it. And I encountered Joel Gottlieb [ Unofficial Taos PhotoBlog ] with his K20D. He admitted to dropping by here occasionally but isn't a member. So at least at this event, K20D's (mine and his) predominated.

In Santa Fe yesterday, near the plaza, were some Dutch tourists, one with some Oly dSLR, one with some Sony dSLR, another with a Sony NEX. Sorry, I couldn't see which models. There were probably some Canikons around too, but I didn't pay close attention, being busy wondering how much my other was going to spend on silver and turquoise. (Actually, today she got a heavy museum-quality old-pawn S&T Navaho bracelet for an outrageously low price, custom-fitted to her by a former horseshoer. Yes, we doublechecked with a couple Navaho jewelry dealers and yes, it's authentic. But I digress.)

Also in Santa Fe is a photo-gear co-op with a cabinet full of PK and M42 bodies and lenses for sale. I'll probably have to be happy with the S-M-C Tak 135/2.5 I got there a couple days ago. I'll try to beg for a budget extension, because the Elicar 100/2.8 macro is almost tempting. Over the next few days I'll be poking into as many camera and stuff shops as possible, to see if there's any Pentax presence here. Stay tuned.

Last edited by RioRico; 05-06-2011 at 09:46 PM.
05-07-2011, 01:18 AM   #741

Photos: Gallery
Santa Fe sounds like the perfect set-up for some partner education. For every dollar A spends on jewellery B spends one on Pentax kit. Sounds very fair to me!
05-07-2011, 01:47 AM   #742

QuoteOriginally posted by The Jannie Quote
Santa Fe sounds like the perfect set-up for some partner education. For every dollar A spends on jewellery B spends one on Pentax kit. Sounds very fair to me!
In my family it's like I spend on some photogear and HE spends for whatever he wants to (like music-system, computer and so on) Seems fair to me
05-07-2011, 02:31 AM   #743
Pentaxian

If you look closely at this panorama (scroll around the image using the map box at the top right or by dragging in the image, click on the image to zoom in), there are more than a few Pentax film and digital users to be seen. Even a red K-x.

Trust me, Pentax users are everywhere.

BBC News - Royal wedding: Spot yourself in our hi-def crowd picture

05-07-2011, 07:01 AM   #744
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
If you look closely at this panorama (scroll around the image using the map box at the top right or by dragging in the image, click on the image to zoom in), there are more than a few Pentax film and digital users to be seen. Even a red K-x.
Sorry, I did not see any Pentax users. However, I actually DID find Waldo, though!
05-07-2011, 08:21 AM   #745

I saw at least 4 Pentaxes But my Eyes are tired
05-07-2011, 12:59 PM   #746
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I see red K-x all over the place too. Pentax must have sold lots of them.

It's a great advertisement for Pentax. Very distinctive, and whenever I see a red camera in the distance, I know what brand that camera is without even looking closely.
05-07-2011, 07:53 PM   #747

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
My good friend Mike, which I call "My spiritual leader in the dark world of photography" says it all in his online signature:

"Amateurs worry about equipment. Pros worry about money. Masters worry about light"
Excellent sig line
05-08-2011, 10:10 AM   #748
Inactive Account

We are not rare we are smart

I bought my Kx about 2 yrs ago. I bought simply because I was impressed with a gal 's whom I met at a Stargate convention. She is an ob-Gyn Doc. I figures she knew somethiing. Of course It is red Next Stargate con, she noticed and complimented me. We were the only 2 there. Between that con and Santurary con, she bought the 2.8 55-200 lens. Very nice she says. So I must keep up with Elaine, bought the 55-300 2.8. These cons get to be a little dark. Ok you can laugh now. My baby camera was well you get the picture Big lenes little camera.. So I returned it and got a fantasic Tamron 28-300 3.5. Much more compact lenes This last Fall(went to Passion Play)at the Eagles nest In Germany I saw another Pentax user. Oriental of course. He remarks about my Pentax. Says it was a very wise choise. I'm all puffed up. Here is why.

On our tour there was a gal with a Nikon. So she was perceived to be the best photogrpher, so they said she should take the tour photos. Haven't seen her photos yet. But with my lowly Pentax I got some really awesome pictures. hAhaha
Sorry so long

We are SMART
05-08-2011, 02:34 PM   #749

I was just watching Bethenny ever after and her assistant was using what looked like the white k-x to take pictures.
05-09-2011, 12:16 AM   #750
Pentaxian

Nearly got someone to buy a K-5. He used a 40D before, but didn't really consider the 550D and 60D, and the 7D was too expensive. Finally bought the D7000. Reason: Almost as good as the Pentax for photo, but by far superior for video. Better codec, better frame rates, AF during video (very big deal). Also Pentax is a bit too unsteady he says. Though he prefers to buy the underdog, who knows what the K-5 replacement will be? Another disappointment like the K-7? How good will the video function be on the next one? With Nikon or Canon it is clear that the next version will be good again, and that there are frequent updates (even if they don't really make sense). FF is another advantage (couldn't convince him to go for the 645D later... lol).

And I can't even say I wouldn't have made the same decision. Video is important, and the D7000 is nearly as good, better in video and cheaper. Though a bit too big and heavy.