Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2011, 08:57 AM   #826
Veteran Member

Will Ive yet to meet another pentax shooter in my neck of the woods but im not worred i know they are present as the last kx at the camera store disappeared before i could get it cheap. My opinion is we just arent as large number wise at the air show last year every camera i saw was a canon eos with the kit 75-300 attached. Not surprising when the ads state 18.0mp and 599$ people tend to buy without knowing what they are getting. The one thing i dislike about the kr. Even the new nikon is 14mp. Seems like the kr didnt have any improvements over the kx until you read the fine print.

06-12-2011, 09:22 AM   #827
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Rare? Who the hell cares.

Every second you spend checking out the cameras of the people around you, you are missing a potentially great capturable moment.

It's not the camera, it's the film/sensor, lens, your technique, the light, and your eye.

That said, holding a Pentax means forgetting everything but what you are surveying to photograph.

Last edited by asaru; 06-12-2011 at 09:48 AM.
06-18-2011, 05:12 PM   #828
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Went into downtown Vancouver today and met two Pentax users. One kind gentleman let me try his FA 31 Limited which is #1 on my list.

Today was the first time I went to downtown Vancouver since the riot. Vancouverites did an admirable job of cleaning up the city. There was hardly any evidence of a riot other than encouraging messages and notes written on boarded up walls, flowers, and people doing random kind things. Almost brought me to tears.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
just work your way around downtown. surely you'll get a handful of them. I'll be somehow be shooting outdoors during the summer. just watch out for me around Coal Harbor and the Convention Center.
QuoteOriginally posted by gabriel_bc Quote
Just the other day I saw my second Pentax dSLR in the wild here in the Vancouver area - a K7 with (I think) the 16-45. I had my K5 in hand, and we chatted briefly.
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
i'm surprised you haven't come across a couple there are certainly quite a few vancouverites on the forum
06-18-2011, 05:35 PM   #829
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
4 days and 28 shows into nxne and im still the only pentax guy shooting
Mostly canon a couple of nikon amd one little rich girl with a leica m8
Oh yeah and a few oly m43

06-18-2011, 10:18 PM   #830
V10

QuoteOriginally posted by pilgrimingvine Quote
Went into downtown Vancouver today and met two Pentax users. One kind gentleman let me try his FA 31 Limited which is #1 on my list.

Today was the first time I went to downtown Vancouver since the riot. Vancouverites did an admirable job of cleaning up the city. There was hardly any evidence of a riot other than encouraging messages and notes written on boarded up walls, flowers, and people doing random kind things. Almost brought me to tears.
Nice to meet you too and thanks for letting me try out your DA 70. Hope you enjoyed the FA 31!

Personally, seeing a Pentaxian is usually few and far between, but when I do it's 2-5 at a time. Seeing a prime user is even rarer so today was rather interesting to have a lady with a DA 40, pilgrimingvine with his DA 70 and me with my FA 31 all within feets of each other.

Just curious, any Vancouver Pentaxians interested in meeting up?
06-18-2011, 10:24 PM   #831
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by V10 Quote
Let me know if you ever get over to the island.

Pentax is still common here in Victoria, but it seems to be less common in the stores than back in the K10 K200 days. L&S built their new store and the display shows a large Pentax in the centre, but I notice the stock is much smaller.

Does Hoya know that Pentax used to walk all over Canon and Nikon here? I realize they are trying to target their advertising resources, but surely Vancouver/Victoria would be high on the list. All of the billboards and other ads have come down the past 2 years
06-19-2011, 01:13 AM   #832
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by V10 Quote
Always willing to learn more.

06-19-2011, 06:05 AM   #833
Veteran Member

I only very rarely spot another Pentax shooter around here. So today while shooting an event at an old folks home I was sort of pleased to note that of the three SLR cameras present all three were Pentax.

Okay....so I brought two of them. But technically I had passed one off to someone else on extended loan so it wasn't really mine at the moment. I had my K-5, my K100D was out on loan, and one of the staff had a K-r....red on black, no less.
06-20-2011, 08:44 PM   #834
Veteran Member

Besides you two the only other regular I know of from Vancouver is Jaiger (helonlaw photography) whom you would see in the FA ltd lens club and probably some others. I'm still trying to find other pentax shooters further to the interior.. my cousin has a K-20D and a K-10D, his father had an *istD and upgraded to a K-x.. so I have a few longer range lenses available to try (they are birders), and luckily my cousin has a 12-24 as well, nice lens, but I think I would prefer the DA 15. I just would like to go out shooting other some others to see if I can learn more.. try shaking the pixie dust outta my FA 43mm ltd etc.
I have found Oly, Sony shooters outside the normal Canikon realm, but no other Pentax users unfortunately.
06-20-2011, 11:51 PM   #835
Forum Member

I was at Croydon Camera House (Melboune outer East) yesterday getting some photos printed and the chap in front of me at the counter was buying a K-x. Turns out he has always shot with Pentax in his film days and wanted to use his lens stash!
06-21-2011, 07:37 AM   #836
Veteran Member

I'm back home now in my remote Sierra Nevada retreat, back from a multi-month journey around the USA SouthWest. I previously reported meeting a K20D-shooting photoblogger in Taos NM, and a Pentax-supported pro in Georgetown CO, and seeing a couple Optios, and that was it. No Kx's at Sundance UT! I also saw old Pentax film cams and lenses for sale in camera and antique shops in Santa Fe and Las Vegas NM, in Leadville and Idaho Springs CO, in Ogden UT, and in Carson City NV (almost my local turf).

However, non-Pentaxians saw me. It wasn't uncommon for people with CaNikons or iPhones to notice the K20D around my neck and ask that I snap them in front of a mountain or waterfall or whatever. I guess they figured an old guy burdened with a big camera would be a safe bet to not run off with their gear! As if I'd want their stuff.
06-21-2011, 09:01 AM   #837
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I'm back home now in my remote Sierra Nevada retreat, back from a multi-month journey around the USA SouthWest. I previously reported meeting a K20D-shooting photoblogger in Taos NM, and a Pentax-supported pro in Georgetown CO, and seeing a couple Optios, and that was it. No Kx's at Sundance UT! I also saw old Pentax film cams and lenses for sale in camera and antique shops in Santa Fe and Las Vegas NM, in Leadville and Idaho Springs CO, in Ogden UT, and in Carson City NV (almost my local turf).

However, non-Pentaxians saw me. It wasn't uncommon for people with CaNikons or iPhones to notice the K20D around my neck and ask that I snap them in front of a mountain or waterfall or whatever. I guess they figured an old guy burdened with a big camera would be a safe bet to not run off with their gear! As if I'd want their stuff.
I had that happen at least half a dozen times on Saturday when I was shooting an outdoor free concert downtown toronto, not one of the cameras i tried was even tempting next to my k7 (or k10, or even ds for that matter)
06-22-2011, 12:51 AM   #838
Veteran Member

Ha. I never get asked (only once somewhere in China and when I know the others). I guess no one trusts a very young looking guy (though I'm not that young... oh well). Or perhaps I look too busy with the camera in my hand That one time it was a Sony DSLR, and I thought it was awful. Couldn't see a thing through the viewfinder.

Been in Cologne a few weeks ago, and I spotted a few NEX, a Leica and a Pentax, couldn't recognise it though. It was carried by an Asian looking guy.
06-22-2011, 04:38 AM   #839
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote

I was asked a number of times to take a shot for someone last summer in Spain. I don't know how burdened I looked with a K-x, but I do think there is something about shooting a less ubiquitous "enthusiast" brand that makes people think you might be able to use their camera.
06-22-2011, 05:00 AM   #840

In some ways perhaps Pentax is the camera equivalent of SAAB Cars. Almost everyone goes for Audi or BMW because they are best in class at what they do. They are the Canon/Nikon of the automotive world Consequently they are to be seen everywhere. A few drivers like to be different and SAAB offers them that difference in an OK package but not one that is significantly better and in some areas not as good. But it is different. SAAB are also out of production right now whilst they try and find new Chinese funding.

Hope the same fate does not befall Pentax but it will if they fail to hit a critical mass in sales and become recognised in the mass (as opposed to connoisseur market) as being best in class.